Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Audio] New Vdrums mixed with acoustic kick/HH/cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Audio] New Vdrums mixed with acoustic kick/HH/cymbals

We recently took a new approach to our drumkit at church. It had been a total TD-20 Vdrum kit until last week. We replaced the Vdrum cymbals, hi-hat (VH-12), and kick with acoustic pieces. We had intended to replace the snare as well, but the volume of it was a bit too much with no sound shield. So, unfortunately, they nixed that and we stuck with the Vdrum snare.

I thought I'd share some sound board recordings of last weekend's worship sets. I think the cymbals are sounding really great, but the snare (at least in the recording sub-mix) sounds totally puny and fake. I'm hoping we can get a sound shield in place and use an acoustic, mic'd snare soon. We'll see.

Anyway...I'd love to hear feedback if anyone wants to listen:

Worship set #1 - http://www.chrisbakerdrummer.com/CAV...orship%201.mp3
    • "You Are Good" (Israel Houghton cover)
    • "The Lord Reigns" (Coldplay-esque rock intro, hehe)
    • "All to You" (with a short instrumental jam in the middle)

Worship set #2 - http://www.chrisbakerdrummer.com/CAV...orship%202.mp3
    • "Came to My Rescue" (Hillsong United song)
    • "Living For You" (up-tempo rock song by Gateway Worship)

edit: For those interested, here are the acoustic pieces that we're now using:
    • 18x22" Ludwig maple kick (it's like 20 years old)
    • 13" Zildjian K hi-hats
    • 16" Zildjian K Custom Dark Crash
    • 17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    • 19" Paiste RUDE Crash Ride
    • 18" Paiste RUDE China
    • 8" splash (not sure of the brand)

Some crapphy iPhone camera pics of the new setup:

Last edited by bakerboy; 10-08-08, 10:50 AM.

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

that sounds amazing! Is that strictly from the soundboard? So if you want a 28" ride....you are hosed?

A side note, our church does it too, but what is with 3 -5 worship singers? It's not like they are going to have the same rhythm vocally and it always

1) sounds like a mess - leading the congregation into a bigger mess
    2) puts a damper on any flexibility the worship-lead has
    3) unless harmonies are used and mostly just on choruses, it really detracts from the song

of course just my $.02 and the 2 churches I play at, and one from the past do the same thing.

Comment

Thanks for checking it out.

To answer your first question - yeah, it's straight from the sound board.

As far as multiple praise singers...yeah, I'm not a big fan of it either. But our worship pastor comes from more of a chorus/choir type background and I don't think he'd ever trend towards just 1 or 2 singers. He likes a big chorus line up there (sigh) Not my personal choice, but it's not mine to make really.

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

Nice hybrid kit and good board mix. I'm sure 99.9% of the audience has no complaint with the snare ... but I'm like you ... I want to hear it the way I like it so that it can inspire my playing.

I agree with you in that the snare is the first real "problem" that I noticed with the overall mix. IMO, too much snap and crispness, not enough body (common complaint of mine with the snares). Perhaps the Mic Position adjustments can help? When I used to use module sounds on the old TD-10, the Mic Position was the first thing I tried, and then I went to EQ to try and bring out more body/reduce highs.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
        | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_K View Post
          Nice hybrid kit and good board mix. I'm sure 99.9% of the audience has no complaint with the snare ... but I'm like you ... I want to hear it the way I like it so that it can inspire my playing.

I agree with you in that the snare is the first real "problem" that I noticed with the overall mix. IMO, too much snap and crispness, not enough body (common complaint of mine with the snares). Perhaps the Mic Position adjustments can help? When I used to use module sounds on the old TD-10, the Mic Position was the first thing I tried, and then I went to EQ to try and bring out more body/reduce highs.
          Thanks for the tips. I'll play with some of those settings next time I'm there to play. I didn't think of the EQ settings at all, actually. I did play with head selection, shell depth, and head type some to arrive at the drum I have. And it definitely does sound better in the house system. But I'm sure it could sound better.

Comment

what is the snare/ settings that you have the td20 set on. I want to listen to it on mine and compare. To me I like snares with a bit more crack and some ring and some reverb to get it sounding more accoustic. On your mix all I can hear is what sounds like just the strainer/ kinda like only having a mic on the bottom of the snare/ no tone. Im betting it will sound different once I play it thru my kit.
            Last edited by Sicko; 10-08-08, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko View Post
              what is the snare/ settings that you have the td20 set on. I want to listen to it on mine and compare. To me I like snares with a bit more crack and some ring and some reverb to get it sounding more accoustic. On your mix all I can hear is what sounds like just the strainer/ kinda like only having a mic on the bottom of the snare/ no tone. Im betting it will sound different once I play it thru my kit.
              I'm not even sure, actually. Next time I'm over there, I'll jot everything down and update this thread with it.

Comment

New song - "Brothers and Sisters" (Dave Barnes cover)

Here's a recording from yesterday's service. We did a song called "Brothers and Sisters" which is a cover off of Dave Barnes' latest album.

The drum mix is, again, not the greatest (IMO)....but I wanted to share the recording anyway.

I played to a percussion click track that I created to provide bongos, tambourine, and triangle during the chorus/guitar break sections. And of course it helps to lock in a consistent tempo. So the percussion is from the click and everything else is live.

http://www.chrisbakerdrummer.com/CAV...%20Sisters.mp3

Thanks for listening

Comment

Working...
                X