Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*** My new funk rock drum video in 15/8 time ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** My new funk rock drum video in 15/8 time ***

It was this time twelve months ago that I first started my journey playing drums and bought home the humble beginnings of my SuperPuss kit so I figured I'd mark the occasion with a new video clip.

This clip is the first one I have filmed since adding my TD20 module to my cage. Two days ago, I got an idea to plug my ride and snare into both my TD12 and TD20 modules using double adaptor plugs in order to layer some sounds. Well, this was well worth the exercise. As you'll hear, the snare has a ton of punch and the ride sounds much fuller.
    The audio is directly out of my TD20 with my TD12 plugged into it's mix input. This was then imported into Protools so I could add a keyboard solo and then added to Adobe Premiere for video editing.

I was going to upload this clip to Youtube but the hack I've been using for high quality audio doesn't work any more. When will Youtube get the hint about STEREO audio?!!
    Anyway, I have my own video hosting site so I have uploaded this clip there so I can do these sounds justice with decent audio instead of the default crappy mono Youtube rubbish!!

Here's my new clip....

Funk Rock in the Cage - My 12 month progress
    Last edited by SuperPuss; 06-13-08, 09:49 AM.

that was some pretty groovy stuff SuperPuss.
    and those converted toms seem to trigger great

Comment

The kick sounds really really low in the mix. For how punchy the snare is I'd like to hear that kick more.
      With how 'open' the music is, it really leaves quite a bit available for the drums to go to town. Can throw some serious fusion solos in there in the likes of Weckl and Colaiuta. Nice job keeping the groove.
      Once the expansion card comes along, try using the "stacking" function with the china...just give it a try. I'm not a big fan of china's that ring out, but I love the sound of a china stacked on top of a crash...I think that's a sound that would go well with this style. Not a criticism, just a suggestion at trying out another kind of sound.
      Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

Good stuff SP! I think your kit sounds great! and those roto's trigger very nice!
        My Gear VEX Drummers Dream, Roland Gear: TD-20E, PD-100 (x3), PD-120 (x2), KD-120, VH-12H, CY-12H, CY-15R, CY-8 (x5).
        Tama Hi-Hat Stand, DW 4000 Snare Stand, DW 5000, Pearl Throne w/Gibraltar Oversized Seat.
        Recording Gear: TASCAM 2488MKII Digital Portastudio, Roland KC-500 AMP.

Comment

Cheers guys

BTBAM Ev_baw and Ralph, I am REALLY happy with how my DIY stuff has come out trigger wise and the pet screen on my roto's is working really well and holding tension purrfectly so far..... and it has saved me a fortune on buying Pintech heads.

Dschrammie, I am itching to get my hands on an expansion card and try the cymbal stacking feature. I love the sound of stacked China and crash cymbals too.
          The kick is actually quite present if you listen on large speakers and has a ton of sub information that would be missed on smaller speakers. When I am recording seriously as opposed to just jamming (which this clip is), I record everything on individual tracks so I can fine tune the mix later. This recording was just a stereo out from my TD20. I had my studio monitors cranked up (4 x 10 inch crown subs and 1000 watts RMS running them!!) and headphones on when recording this so the kick actually sounded quite loud at that stage.
          I also listen on large and small speakers and headphones when doing serious recordings and I'd be adding a little more upper mid 'bite' to the kick in this track if I recorded it on a separate track to give it more presence on smaller speakers.

Comment

Great stuff chick, lovin the set up you've got going there. Sounds ace. Keep them coming gal.

Comment

Just had a look at your becoming real II Vid, very nice piece of music, the people in the vid look great too (although i don't really understand that stuff) It's bloody awesome

Comment

Thanks x 2 hon

Now I just have to figure out a new hack to get stereo audio on my Youtube clips again. I wish they'd get the hint and just allow decent quality stereo audio by default. It's not like dialup internet is the norm any more!!!

Comment

15/8 piece sounds great and I agree that the kick has plenty of level in that mix.

How do you have your hi-hat set up? I have a VH-11 on a conventional stand but would quite like to try the central hat with a remote hat pedal - I play open handed and it would give me a lot of options. What remote pedal do you use for the hat control?

Comment

15/8 time sig??? There's no such thing! YOU MADE THAT UP!!!! OK, just joking, Dream Theater liked using that time sig. Good stuff SP!
                    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
                    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by TDous View Post
                      15/8 piece sounds great and I agree that the kick has plenty of level in that mix.

How do you have your hi-hat set up? I have a VH-11 on a conventional stand but would quite like to try the central hat with a remote hat pedal - I play open handed and it would give me a lot of options. What remote pedal do you use for the hat control?
                      Cheers TDous
                      My hihat set up is a CY5 cymbal and an FD8 foot controller. I've been toying with the idea of seeing if a remote cable set up with a VH11 would work but there's not a lot of room between my snare and my toms. The other thing I have been considering is an A to E conversion on a regular hat mounted on a cable set up with a custom hat controller.
                      At the moment though, I am happy with my CY5 / FD8 combination.
                      Originally posted by Fullback32 View Post
                      15/8 time sig??? There's no such thing! YOU MADE THAT UP!!!! OK, just joking, Dream Theater liked using that time sig. Good stuff SP!
                      LOL and thanks Fullback

Comment

Working...
                      X