Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PD-11: A work in Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD-11: A work in Progress

I spent my weekend rebuilding some PD-11s.

I have yet to encounter any of them without cracked shells. I superglued as many cracks as I could, then fiberglassed the interior. They are now 1000 times stronger.

I have also never seen one that is not yellowed. Acetone removes the yellowing, but also removes the logo and leaves the surface a bit rough. A couple coats of gloss white and a bunch of coats of clear enamel helped a bunch.

The trigger mechanisms are ingenious, yet primative by todays standard. The trigger is on a block of wood that floats in a rubber gasket. The gaskets are starting to dry out and crumble. A tube of silicon sealant put that back in order.

Slap on a few new logos and voila! I still need to find a suitable replacement for the trim around the shells and I am going to start on the PD-31s next.
    sigpic

As I've mentioned before, I am totally curious about what you have planned for all this and can't wait to see the final product. You have me intrigued.

....and great ingenuity there Michael. Love the 'Render' logo's

Comment

Those look awesome!! How hard were they to take apart? I have been pondering buying a few old simmons pads to hang high on the sides when I build my cage. Just to have some wild guitar sounds or something Eric Carr style ala 1988 lol

Comment

The pads are super easy to take apart. Although you will need metric allen wrenches. The PD-31s, though, are much more sturdy in construction. And each one has 4 triggers. You could have lots of fun with that.
        sigpic

Comment

PD-10s

Hey Michael,

I "found" these at Dale's Drum Shop in Harrisburg, PA when I was there in early April. My somewhat disheveled appearance and crooked "smile" are either due to a lack of sleep or from striking my forehead on the surface of these vintage pads...I don't remember. I didn't have a chance to test them but they were fairly cheap...they may still have them.

Dale's Drum Shop: (717) 652-2466
          Attached Files

Comment

Hahaha, what a laugh .

Why did Roland make these pads in such 'weird' shapes anyway? Is it that it was just 'hip' or what?
            TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
            Loving it every second..

Comment

Originally posted by rbressers View Post
              Hahaha, what a laugh .

Why did Roland make these pads in such 'weird' shapes anyway? Is it that it was just 'hip' or what?
              It was the '80s. Triangles were all the rage!

Bravo, as usual, Mr. Render. Can't wait to see the finished kit.
              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

When I first started drumming (1992) our church had a set of those pads in the main sanctuary building and my drum instructor (and orchestra director) played them. I thought they were so cool and would always want him to let me do my lessons on them instead of the old 4-pc kit up in the choir room.

Brings back memories...

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

Drew, I have 9 PD-31s now. I think I am done aquiring. But thanks for the heads up. You do look a bit odd in that Photo, but I thought it was the open bathroom door.

Speaking of shapes, did you know that the PD-31s tesselates in many great patterns?
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X