Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kit Config - TD20 with 3 Trigger Splitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kit Config - TD20 with 3 Trigger Splitters

well, i finally broke down and made my own splitter - man they were easy to make, a little patience - those 100k resistors are delicate

anyway - i got a set for my kid - he is 20 months old - he, honestly won't notice the 2 pads missing so i decided to have some fun with mine

I'm going to get back around to doing a vid when i get my fish eye lense back.

till then - here is a photo

old setup
    Last edited by pho; 05-13-08, 07:50 PM.

My Drum World/ Resume

My day Job - Immigration Law www.RoigScavron.com

Good looking kit. Specs?
    Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Cool stuff Pho
      Great to hear you getting your son started at an early age too..... and great to see those Kit Toys splashes and china. Like you, I love the Kit Toys stuff.

Looking forward to seeing your clips.

Comment

Neat kit Pho ! but how do you reach that other kick pedal behind and to your left?

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
          Neat kit Pho ! but how do you reach that other kick pedal behind and to your left?
          HA - no that is his kick pedal - and if you didn't see my old setup (very simliar to this in look, but the cage is totally different - here is the vid) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUj7KTgn9QE

by the way, the goal was to make the set easier to travel - so i got aluminum bars and took out all un needed cymbal stand parts - WAY lighter

Here is my kid's set -

I've built him a better seat since then so he can sit higher up. He still prefer's my kit - wants to do what dad does

- But he can start alot earlier than me - cause the electrics wont hurt his ears AND you can make a real set small enough for them.

of course, this was me

but, i don't think i got much practice time between the ages of 2 and 9

- re specs

Its basically a hart dynamics kit - although i replaced the rack with aluminum and the clamps with gibralter

There is a roland pd8 and 2 yamaha black pads as toms or - whatever - so far i have only programmed the tom kit

cymbals are 2 crappy plastic harts - 1 kick butt hart metal ride and 1 metal HH. 1 roland cy8 - and 3 kit toy splashes and 1 kit toy china

KIT TOYS ROCK i'm thinking about replacing the crappy plastic harts with kit toys. -but $$ is a little tight these days

TD 20 (bought from Hope Drums- THANKS DUDE - great guy) - 3 trigger splitters - 2 by me, 1 by ultimate TS

hart base drum with extra spikes so it doesn't move

and one of those black box highhat deals where i can click a switch and keep it to partly closed.

Hmm - also a really old pearl BD pedal - lots of velcro and a black rug from home depot.

And i swear by my AHEAD sticks - if you use any hard pads or cymbals, this takes ALL the reverberating/ kick back out and makes it feel like a real drum - had i found these i might not have sprung for the mesh drums - but, the mesh drums still do feel a bit better.

did i cover everything? -
          Last edited by pho; 05-13-08, 07:49 PM.

My Drum World/ Resume

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
            Cool stuff Pho
            Great to hear you getting your son started at an early age too..... and great to see those Kit Toys splashes and china. Like you, I love the Kit Toys stuff.

Looking forward to seeing your clips.
            by the way saw your clips - very impressive for your first year.

But i can't figure out some of your kits

Do you like toss a foam dart or something to pick where the hi hat is going to go?

jk

My Drum World/ Resume

Comment

Originally posted by pho View Post

But i can't figure out some of your kits

Do you like toss a foam dart or something to pick where the hi hat is going to go?

jk
              I originally thought the same thing when I saw SP's kit. But then I got to thinking...this can be the beauty of electronic drums - who says they have to be in the "standard kit" configuration? After all, wasn't that "standard" derived because of the physical size constraints of acoustic drums (as well as the constraints of the human body design)? So, when someone starts out at square one with electronic drums (and has no prior experience on A-drums), I think it is kind of cool to try something new and see if it works for YOU!
              Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by freddarl82 View Post
                I originally thought the same thing when I saw SP's kit. But then I got to thinking...this can be the beauty of electronic drums - who says they have to be in the "standard kit" configuration? After all, wasn't that "standard" derived because of the physical size constraints of acoustic drums (as well as the constraints of the human body design)? So, when someone starts out at square one with electronic drums (and has no prior experience on A-drums), I think it is kind of cool to try something new and see if it works for YOU!
                actually i totally agree - i was inspired by simon phillips actually to move my hats over to the right and put it near snare level - but right now its too much hassle for just an experiment

it makes more sense for it to be over there your not crossing arms and more free

but, i've got a good 20+ years playing so, old habbits die hard ya know

My Drum World/ Resume

Comment

LOL about the foam dart Pho ... I actually do have plenty of foam floating about from my DIY projects

As Freddari82 has mentioned, I figured that considering I don't have years of playing with the hats in the traditional left position, why not do something that is more ergonomic in the very beginning and learn that way
                  After all, my primary reason for learning drums is for my own music. My entire SuperPuss project is built on a foundation of technology right from my early days in the early 80's. Electronic drums are a natural direction for me and I have no specific plans (or needs) to build an A kit at this stage so it is perfectly logical for my purposes

Comment

I must say too, those pics of your son are just gorgeous and I adore that yellow drum throne. How cute is that!!

Comment

I must say too, those pics of your son are just gorgeous and I adore that yellow drum throne. How cute is that!!
                      thanks - of course he gets that from his mom

The yellow thrown was great, except for the armrests - so i made a diy one out of wood plastic and a towel for cushions no backrest, but its adjustable

fyi simon phillips setup

he plays the hats and ride with his left hand
                      Last edited by pho; 05-14-08, 09:08 AM.

My Drum World/ Resume

Comment

Swite! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
                        www.oblyvion.com
                        Facebook:[Scych]
                        You Tube Scychful
                        Twitter:@Raakinn

Comment

Originally posted by pho View Post
                          thanks - of course he gets that from his mom

The yellow thrown was great, except for the armrests - so i made a diy one out of wood plastic and a towel for cushions no backrest, but its adjustable
                          Is the DIY one Yellow too? That is just the coolest colour for a throne
                          fyi simon phillips setup

he plays the hats and ride with his left hand
                          That's a very cool setup. Does he always play open handed?

Comment

here is a good clip this dvd just came out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-R4T...eature=related

i highly recommend it and the album, this is the best thing toto (really lukather at this point) has done since the 80s its a phenomenal album

to answer your question, he has hats locked partial open to his right - so sometimes he plays right handed, and sometimes basically left handed- what is really weird is to watch him play the cymbal that way and playing a crosstick -

My Drum World/ Resume

Comment

I didn't even follow this thread but I know that's Simon Philips' set up. Simon is one of my ALL TIME major drum influences. After watching him on Pete Townsend's Live Deep End I was totally mesmerized by the fact that he could play ambidextrously. I said to myself, "you'd be the ultimate drummer if you could do that." From that moment on I forced myself to ride with my left and not cross over. It took me awhile but now I can switch back and forth like he does. It totally opens up the kit when you don't have to hit every beat starting with your dominant hand.

Evidence of this is displayed in this clip!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5Wz6T_NH0
                              Last edited by havyck; 05-15-08, 04:00 AM.
                              Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
                              www.oblyvion.com
                              Facebook:[Scych]
                              You Tube Scychful
                              Twitter:@Raakinn

Comment

Working...
                              X