Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Drum Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Drum Evolution

hi all,

lurker on these forums for a long time. thought I would post my progress with my kit. I have had multiple iterations of my drums over the last 20 years. I had some el cheapo drum shells from my Pearl Export drums that I got back in high school circa 2002. I stripped the original maroon wrap off those and hardware and sanded everything down.

Version 2: I wrapped my drums in chrome wrap which I got from an automotive wrapping company. My cymbals were all the late JMan's stealth triggers on Wuhan Cymbals. I was using 682Drums heads and playing these through a TD-12. Version 1 was essentially the same, but I was using a Alesis Trigger iO instead of the TD-12. I was triggering Addictive Drums but I had a lot of problems with the hi-hat and dynamics, so much so that I ditched it and bought a used TD-12 and just played with the in built sounds.

Version 3: I re-wrapped my drums, this time in a woodgrain finish that I bought from a furniture company. I replaced JMan's cymbals with a selection of Roland and Yamaha cymbals. I made a foray back into VST drums by using Superior 2.0 through my White MacBook and the TD-12 with a USB-Midi Cable. Very happy with the result overall in terms of sound quality, but latency was still an issue, and I wasn't so keen on the smaller cymbals.

Version 4: Same drums as Version 3, but I went with some more JMAN cymbals for the ride and a crash as I wanted to have realistic sized cymbals.

Version 5: After a 3-4 year hiatus, I decided to get back into things now that I had some space in my apartment again. I rewrapped my drums in a leather vinyl wrap. I remade the triggers using a combine of Drone Triggers and some hardware that looks suspiciously like Drum-Tec Radial triggers. My snare drum is a fluoro acrylic snare 14 x 6.5 drum with gold hardware. I got the shell from Alibaba and bought the hardware separately. Overall, I'm quite happy with the result. This time using Drum-Tec Mesh heads, and a UFO Drums bass trigger. I bought new ATV cymbals, and some Yamaha cymbals and went for the eDrumin10. This is wired to a iMac and triggering Superior Drummer 3.0.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by mrantarctica; 01-03-21, 12:08 AM.

Looks great. Some of the pictures are tiny though, got any bigger ones?
    Miscellaneous Roland triggers. eDRUMin. Superior Drummer. Logic Pro.

Comment

Hmm... good point good point. It seems that only thumbnails are loaded.

Comment

Very nice.
        PDP Concept Maple A2E; Bum Wraps; Pearl Crystal Beat Octobans; Jobeky AI triggers; drum-tec Real Feel and Billy Blast Ballistech 3.0 mesh heads; ATV cymbals; Gibralter hardware; Offset double pedal; DW Remote hi-hat stands; NUX NMP-2 Dual Footswitch; 2 eDRUMin10; Alesis Strike Amp 8; Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen; Intel NUC with Windows 10 Pro; SD3

Comment

20201219_180237~2.jpg 20200315_192854.jpg 20201219_180418.jpg
          Last edited by mrantarctica; 01-03-21, 12:10 AM.

Comment

So my kit consists of:

10", 12", 14", 16" Toms
            14" x 6.5" Custom Fluoro Acrylic Snare Drum
            22" Bass drum
            Yamaha PCY-155 as Hi Hat cymbal
            Roland VH-11 Hi Hat controller
            ATV 18" Ride Cymbal
            ATV 14" Crash Cymbal
            ATV 17" China Cymbal
            Yamaha PCY-155 Crash Cymbal
            Yamaha PCY-135 Crash/FX Cymbal
            Yamaha PCY-135 Crash/FX Cymbal
            Roland CY-12 Hi hat Cymbal now being used as an FX cymbal
            All routed through 2 eDrumin10's going into my iMac and Superior 3.0

Still to get my Resident audio T2 interface working, and still a lot of tweaking to do to get my kit dialled in correctly, but I finally have all the components together at least.

More to follow..
            Last edited by mrantarctica; 01-03-21, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Awesome looking set. Really influences me on revamping mine a little.

Quick question, I am currently using DTX502 to trigger VST. Would you suggest a eDrumin10? I am wanting a little more expansion of course.
              Last edited by deathbyart; 01-07-21, 12:35 PM.
              A to E Yamaha / Yamaha Cymbals / Mac Mini

Comment

Originally posted by deathbyart View Post
                Awesome looking set. Really influences me on revamping mine a little.
                Quick question, I am currently using DTX502 to trigger VST. Would you suggest a eDrumin10? I am wanting a little more expansion of course.
                I purchased 2 eDrumin 10's and I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. I know that for specific things there will be better out there (e.g. the Roland Digital Ride in a TD-50 probably performs better than my ATV 18" in an eDrumin) but as an all-rounder, the eDrumin can't be beat!

Comment

Are these metal cymbals equipped with triggers? I quite liked newer Zildjian low noise perforated ones I tried recently in a shop, way quieter than 1 edition one I tried years ago, very natural rebound how do they work...
                  Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Working...
                  X