X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RetroRambler's custom Diamond Electronic Drums set

Hi everyone,

As some of you know, Dave at Diamond Electronic Drums is building me a set of drums.

This will be my first set of drums in almost 30 years and the first electronic drums, triggers, etc. I've ever owned -- representing the culmination of a plan I have been researching, putting together and working towards off and on for almost 3 years now. A plan to build a set of electronic drums which suits MY sense of taste and which will feel, sound, and yes -- LOOK as much as possible like the real acoustic drums I loved playing so much back in the day -- but without making all the noise that ultimately caused me to have to stop playing drums more than once in the past.

I've had a few people ask for photos of the rack, drums, etc. so I thought I would create a separate topic here in the showcase area where this seems to belong. That way I can just point in this direction and not disrupt things discussing my e-drums in other people's topics. I'm hoping others will return the same courtesy here.

"JUST SHOW ME THE PICTURES..."
    If you just want to see the main pictures and you're not really interested in "how the sausage is made", check out post #3 below.

I will continue to post here from time to time when I can as long as there is interest and the topic can be respected, but to set a realistic expectation I will probably not be able to post updates or pictures here very frequently. I don't have a lot of free time, and would rather be known for high quality than high quantity.

A Quick Plug for Dave and Diamond Electronic Drums
    I'm not affiliated with Dave or Diamond Electronic Drums but I've been really impressed with his work, the services he offers, and his customer service and responsiveness. If you're looking for a set of drums, electronic cymbals, or have some related drums work you need done, he has a full service shop and you should definitely get in touch with him. He even makes his own shells with molds in his shop. (see pics later in thread). Dave is by far the best I found looking for someone to build a custom set of full acoustic-sized e-drums -- and I shopped and researched for months.

So let's get started. Here's a rundown of the setup I'm putting together, starting with the 10-piece set of drums Dave is building me.

KIT DETAILS
    DRUM SIZES (Depth x Diameter)
    Bass
    (1) 18x22

Snare
    5.5x14" Black Chrome, custom

Rack Toms
    6x8
    7x8
    8x8
    8x10
    9x12
    10x13

Floor Toms
    14x14
    16x16

Miscellaneous Specs
    Tube Lugs
    2.3mm hoops (vs. lighter gauge)
    Heavy-Duty oyster-type tom mounts

Finish
    Zebra Glitter - custom oyster-styled wrap, hand-made with crushed glass particles

Kick Pedals: Gibraltar G-Class 9711G-DB chain-drive, double bass
    Obviously these are not the best double bass pedals money can buy, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a used set in very good condition and they are very configurable. Plus with 30 years of rusty to get past, I really don't need to be evaluating more expensive pedals anytime soon. I was never into double-bass sextuplet marathons anyway.

CYMBALS
    My cymbals are all ATV. I'm sure I would really like metal ones or real A2E'd cymbals, but since we live in a top floor apartment I have to be as quiet as possible. So I chose ATV instead.

10" splash - aD-C10
    12" splash - aD-C12
    14" crash - aD-C14
    (2) 16" crash - aD-C16
    17" China - aD-CH17
    18" ride - aD-C18
    14" hi-hat - aD-H14

I will use all 3 zones of most cymbals -- including the hi-hat. At least as much as makes sense with Superior Drummer 3's capabilities and otherwise with how I used to play. I intend to convert the ATV cymbals' Roland 3-zone ride-style output on dual jacks to Yamaha-style 3-zone cymbal on a single eDRUMin input to use less eDRUMin units initially. Update: I have verified for myself that this WORKS on ATV.

MODULE: *NONE*
    I am only interested in triggering VST's to get drum sounds on my RME HDSPe RayDAT-equipped PC/VST host/DAW setup right now. Besides Superior Drummer 3 I also have many other percussion and virtual synth related VST's from Native Instruments, Arturia, and other library collections I paid $$$ for and want the option to use as I see fit -- so I don't need to handicap or lobotomize my capabilities sticking ANY drum module in the middle of this setup.

Instead I will start with (4) eDRUMin's as Trigger-to-MIDI Interface ("TMI") devices, providing a total of 16 splittable TRS input ports and utilizing somewhere around 5 splitters for starters. We will see how it goes from there but I definitely plan to add more drums, cymbals, etc. later and expect I will need more (or larger...) eDRUMin modules or another larger TMI solution to get there.

I also understand that due to number of drums, cymbals, etc. some customization of MIDI mapping will likely be necessary.

TOUCHSCREEN
    Dell P2418HT - 23.8" multi-touch w/USB3 and HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort inputs - larger than most would want to use but easier on my eyes
    Celicious Impact Anti-Shock Screen Protector for Dell P2418HT
    Pole Mount VESA 75/100 Tilt-Swivel Monitor Mount - Ebay Listing

RACK / HARDWARE
    The rack and general hardware will be a custom Gibraltar build, based almost entirely upon one Brent from Gibraltar built in a two part YouTube video featured on the Gibraltar DIY YouTube channel. If you really like this rack and want to build one like it, just start watching these 2 videos over and over again like I have been for months now...

Brent's video links:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wENBVJC6Uvg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLY614yG0l0

Conveniently, the first video also has a fairly complete list of parts he used to build the rack in the description. Just don't order that whole list of parts verbatim though -- some in the list aren't used at all, not needed if you don't have 2 snares, etc. and you may also want to do something different with your cymbals and what you put on the rails... watch the video carefully and figure out what you do and don't need...

I am pretty sure I have all the parts needed to completely assemble the rack now and am gradually working on it -- leveling and alignment+height of curved rail sections is a little tricky and this is my first go at building a rack.

ONWARD!
    Needless to say, I have a lot of learning and fun ahead of me. I'm new to Superior Drummer 3, electronic drums and cymbals, and a lot of other stuff the rest of you guys probably know like the back of your hand. But I do have a strong hands-on computer background, and a fairly good grasp of MIDI from hobbying with sequencers, keyboards, virtual synths and DAW's off and on since the 90's. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. So it shouldn't be entirely painful.

I'll try to keep the topic interesting when I can, and maybe I'll even be able to share something useful at times.

Cheers,
    RetroRambler
    Last edited by RetroRambler; 06-07-20, 10:40 AM.
    Diamond 10pc Kit | UFO Drums Bass Trigger | Trick P1VBF2 Pedals | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | SD3

Too bad. Dave does some amazing kits.

Good luck.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

OK, I'll have another go with the original post and use this post a bit differently.

QUICK PICS POST
      If you just want to see the main pictures and not dig through pages of posts to find them, you've come to the right place.

A note on higher-resolution pics: Without having outrageously high-resolution (and big file size) pictures, I've tried to post pics at a decent resolution using JPEG compression and a high quality level. With many of the pics, you will find (depending on your browser, I use Firefox) that you can click or right-click in the image and select "View Image", maybe click a + icon the mouse pointer turns into, and see the image in higher resolution. Many of the detail pics of drums, rack etc. are shrunk down to 1600x900, which is still pretty high resolution for forum posts.

COMPLETE KIT
      Coming Very Soon....

BUILD IN PROGRESS
      RACK
      rr-rack-touchmon1-1.6k.jpgfront-newer-1k.jpgrr-rack-0505-1-1.6k.jpgrr-rack-0505-2fx-1.6k.jpgrr-rack-0505-3fx-1.6k.jpg

DRUMS
      All pics in this section courtesy of Dave.

Toms / Bass - Wrapped
      rr-wholekit-done-02jun2020-1.6k.jpgrr-bass-hoops-drums-01-1.6k.jpgrr-bass-hoops-drums-02-1.6k.jpgrr-2fts-2rts-1.6k.jpgrr-tomwrap-lug01-1.6k.jpg

rr-floortom-w-head-1.6k.jpgrr-4toms-wrap-in-clamps-2.8k-q8.jpgdavefb-rr-wrapped01.jpgdavefb-rr-wrapped02.jpg

Snare Drum
      rr-fbsnare01-1.6k.jpgrr-fbsnare02-1.6k.jpgrr-fbsnare03.jpg

Diamond Electronic Drums - Trigger Photos
      rr-ft-trigger1-1.6k.jpgrr-ft-trigger2-1.6k.jpg

Diamond Electronic Drums - Drum Shells
      rr-1st-2-shells-uncut1600.jpgrr-shells-uncut-1600.jpgrr-shells-cut-and-drilled-prewrap-1.6k.jpg
      Last edited by RetroRambler; 06-07-20, 10:14 AM.
      Diamond 10pc Kit | UFO Drums Bass Trigger | Trick P1VBF2 Pedals | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | SD3

Comment

*LATER USE*
        Last edited by RetroRambler; 05-25-20, 03:52 PM.

Comment

look fwd to seeing this all!

Comment

Here's a few pictures. Yes, these are the same ones I had posted before in the other topic but since they are my pictures, I'll remove them there and re-post them here.

A sketch I did for some planning of cable counts, connections, etc. but included here just for the purpose of quick conceptual sketch of the kit
            drawing-edrumins-1k.jpg

Couple rack pics:
            rack-early1-1k.jpg

A little more together but still so much to do:
            front-newer-1k.jpg
            I am still working on leveling, this is non-trivial and many things are not exactly in the right place yet.

Cheers,
            RetroRambler
            Last edited by RetroRambler; 05-22-20, 02:20 AM.

Comment

I can't see the photos. There's something wrong with your last post.

Comment

I have a couple more pics, these are pics Dave sent of my shells coming out of the molds. Not cut to length yet so some are significantly taller than their final height will be.

My 12" tom and one of the 8" toms:
                rr-1st-2-shells-uncut1600.jpg

And the whole set (minus snare, the snare will be a little different from the others and not in this pic):
                rr-shells-uncut-1600.jpg

Cheers,
                RetroRambler
                Last edited by RetroRambler; 05-05-20, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of toms! Can you please fix your previous post as the images aren't there?

Comment

Fixed.
                    Last edited by RetroRambler; 04-20-20, 12:51 AM. Reason: "Settle down, Beavis."

Comment

I can see the pictures

Comment

Originally posted by ericf4 View Post
                        look fwd to seeing this all!
                        Hey there ericf4! Good to see you here! Hope you are all doing well and staying safe.

Comment

Cymbals awaiting better orders after testing --
                          rr-cyms-stackboxes1.6k.jpg
                          Last edited by RetroRambler; 05-05-20, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroRambler View Post
                            Here's a few pictures. Yes, these are the same ones I had posted before in the other topic but since they are my pictures, I'll remove them there and re-post them here.

A sketch I did for some planning of cable counts, connections, etc. but included here just for the purpose of quick conceptual sketch of the kit
                            drawing-edrumins-1k.jpg

RetroRambler
                            Oulala.... That has the making of a true monster kit! Should have plenty of things to hit around you!
                            And you'll probably earn a spot in the DigitalDrummer mag in that section.

cool.

keep us in the loop as much as possible.

Cheers!
                            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Gosh, thanks perceval. I will probably try to hide under a rock for a while if I can though, I have a lot to catch up on and a lot of rusty to get rid of.

Comment

Working...
                              X