My setup : Tama eArstar II :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My setup : Tama eArstar II :)

I'm glad to present to you my vDrum setup, which is the result of hours of videos, reading and thinking.

It is based on one of my kit, a 1986 Tama Artstar II in piano black (10x10, 12x11, 13x12 not currently used, 16x16 and 22x16). Yes I know, you could say "it's a shame to use such a good drum kit for an electronic conversion" and you'd be right, but that is what I have at disposal right now, and I love the fact to see a good kit like that when I play. Plus it prevents me to sell it, so not a bad thing after all.

The setup :
    - Peal export snare with custom finish (I have also a second snare with a padtech trigger, which I do not like very much ..)
    - ATV aD5, with some paid sounds from the store
    - ATV aD-H14, aD-C-16 and aD-C18, currently considering expending with a China or a second crash
    - Drum-tec real feel mesh head, no rezo head
    - Martin's center triggers
    - Roland KD-A22 kick's trigger
    - Tama 1st chair seat
    - Gibraltar rack, I'm thinking about adding an extension to improve the ride's installation and allow other cymbals
    - Roland octacapture sound interface, allows me to input all of my band's instruments, handle 4 different output mixes and add some reverb/compression without the need of the laptop
    - Reaper for adding some FX's and recording
    - SLX 3 drivers in ear monitor to enjoy all that great stuff !

I had several thoughts about the choice of the module, at first I was looking for a Mimic Pro, but I have to admit that the aD5 is really enjoyable. Obviously the cymbals are gorgeous.

Last edited by DrumatiC; 02-01-19, 08:22 AM.

The fruits of a long labor (and expense). That is beautiful.
    E-kit: TD50KV with KD A22, SPD-SX, BT-1, Acoustic: DW Custom, Maple Mahogany, Zildjian K Customs, Sweet and Darks, Pork Pie Thrones, Tama Speed Cobras and DW HW, Zildjian sticks. Midas 32C, MD421, EV ND46, ND96, SM57, SM81. Past kits include Roland TD9 Mesh and TD30K.

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

Killer kit. How do you like the aD5? From youtube videos, my reaction is mixed. Some sound great, some machine gun like crazy. What's your experience with it?

Comment

Originally posted by spillitnkillit View Post
          Killer kit. How do you like the aD5? From youtube videos, my reaction is mixed. Some sound great, some machine gun like crazy. What's your experience with it?
          I have to be honest, it is not flawless. But I also admit I'm a kind of an eternal unsatisfied and I'm over looking for perfection.

Yes it has a bit of machine gunning but it is acceptable. Nevertheless, it lacks in my opinion of a kind of a round robin algorhitm to be perfect.

Overall the sounds are really great (especially with the addition of those from the ATV's store), the dynamic too. I started to use it with my band, and it melt very well in the mix.

Embedded effects would be a plus, same for multi-ouput (but it is on the way with the upcoming aD-IO).

By now, the "limited" number of input is not an obstacle for my usage, but it could be in the future.

At first, I really not liked the user interface, but after a while I really love it now. It is really well designed and efficient. I also love the compact form factor, very convenient.

To conclude, for the price (I paid 730 for a new one ! Third of the price of a Mimic Pro, so definitively not comparable), it is a killer module. And with the future releases from ATV (user imported sounds, aD-IO, iOS/Android app for the mixer, ...) it is even more promising.
          Last edited by DrumatiC; 02-01-19, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumatiC View Post
            Yes I know, you could say "it's a shame to use such a good drum kit for an electronic conversion" and you'd be right, but that is what I have at disposal right now, and I love the fact to see a good kit like that when I play. Plus it prevents me to sell it, so not a bad thing after all.
            I reckon that would be my decision if I'd ever be in the same spot... Great looking kit, as no setup is perfect, it's good to see people working with what they've got and enjoying it. Make the best out of it!
            •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
            •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
            •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Just passing by this thread to say that is a beautiful kit! I love the Tama kick drum in particular, huge fan.

Really anybody doing the purist approach (no acoustic cymbals) deserves massive praise just for e-drum proliferation in general.

I think you absolutely should expand your setup with a matching china and splash as well.

Have you considered the upcoming 2box Drumit5 mk2 if you can't justify a Mimic Pro? I imagine you could end up simulating the Artstar tones better than the real deal if you import the perfect VST.
              ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
              Community Drum Module Document
              PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                Have you considered the upcoming 2box Drumit5 mk2 if you can't justify a Mimic Pro? I imagine you could end up simulating the Artstar tones better than the real deal if you import the perfect VST.
                As far as I know, the Drumit 3 and 5 does not support ATV aD-H14, so not for me.

When ATV will release the software that allow to import user sample, I'll get my Artstar II in the box (and my other kits and snares as well

Comment

As far as I know, the Drumit 3 and 5 does not support ATV aD-H14, so not for me.

When ATV will release the software that allow to import user sample, I'll get my Artstar II in the box (and my other kits and snares as well
                  You can buy the zourman mod that enable atv hihat for 2box. Concerning, atv editor, it's not for drum, limited to 4 layers without round robin. Most vst use 20 to 35 layers with 6-12 round robin per layer, 1.5GB\ 8 GB per kits, that why vst are big sized. 2box and Mimic are the only one can play vst capability, gewa is, limited\ restricted on memory, do not use vst sized instruments\ resolution with limited instruments slot allocation for store, highly priced.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 02-02-19, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Very nice. I have a very similar Tama kit waiting to have this done to it. My main points of delay are cost, the fact that the kit would then be less pieces than what I am used to (by three) and the amount of more space it will take up.

I recently did my DW acoustic snare with ufo triggers and like it. What are those triggers assmeblies you are using? They are very clean looking.
                    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                      You can buy the zourman mod that enable atv hihat for 2box.
                      Indeed but I'm not a fan to add an extra device just for the hi-hat ...

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                      Concerning, atv editor, it's not for drum, limited to 4 layers without round robin. Most vst use 20 to 35 layers with 6-12 round robin per layer, 1.5GB\ 8 GB per kits, that why vst are big sized. 2box and Mimic are the only one can play vst capability, gewa is, limited\ restricted on memory, do not use vst sized instruments\ resolution with limited instruments slot allocation for store, highly priced.
                      Unfortunately I have to agree, but I'll give it a try anyway.

As I planned initialy, I certainly try the Mimic pro in the future, but I'm waiting for a special offer, the current price is 300$ more expensive here, without reason (especially with a 1 dollar < 1 euro, I find the pricing strategy of Pearl very odd)
                      Last edited by DrumatiC; 02-03-19, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blades View Post
                        I recently did my DW acoustic snare with ufo triggers and like it. What are those triggers assmeblies you are using? They are very clean looking.
                        Those are triggers from a local supplier here in France, the guy works in the aeronautic field and indeed her products are really clean, plus the prices are really sweet for this level of quality.
                        Last edited by DrumatiC; 02-03-19, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Very nice. Good looking kit and cool triggers.

Comment

Here some recent upgrades : rack expension, ATV aD-C14 and an additional snare on the left. I really love this setup, so much fun to play on it.

I'm still hesitating for a Mimic Pro, but I have to admit that the aD5 is really doing a great work, especially with the sound from the store. It's just a shame that we couldn't import custom samples, I would love to use all of my snare collection

Comment

Here some recent upgrades : rack expension, ATV aD-C14 and an additional snare on the left. I really love this setup, so much fun to play on it.

I'm still hesitating for a Mimic Pro, but I have to admit that the aD5 is really doing a great work, especially with the sound from the store. It's just a shame that we couldn't import custom samples, I would love to use all of my snare collection
                              Very nice!
                              ATV is planning a sample import utility, although only 4 layers I believe. That said, their current samples are similarly limited and some sound very good.
                              Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Working...
                              X