Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom e-sticks...

Hi!

Me and Allan at digitalDrummer had recently a chat about how a perfect pair of e-sticks would be designed and have for kind of specs. Allan have through the years tested many e-sticks from several manufacturers in digitalDummer Magazine.

We decided that a pair with the stick size 7A and which was equipped with a nylon tip probably would be our perfect choice when selecting models.

Afterwards...Ií needed to try is in reality (of course), so I contacted CustomStix.com and got these manufactured and branded with my and digitalDrummer logos.

img_1241.jpg

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Last edited by angr77; 12-22-18, 06:57 AM.
    Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Iíve never been able to fathom using a 7A. Theyíre twigs. lol

5A Nylon for me, all day long. (specifically, the Buddy Rich size is what I like these days)
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

At the end of the day, designing a "perfect" e-stick is going to be a challenge, as everyone has their preference in diameter/length of sticks. I would fully agree, however, that nylon tips are the way to go on e-drums especially with mesh heads. I believe Mike Snyder helped develop the Vic Firth E-Stick, and it's a fine product, but that small wood bead on it wears down over time.

I personally use Vater Fusion nylon tipped sticks. Well balanced and the ball nylon tip makes great contact on the e-cymbals for triggering. Not too small, not too large.

On my acoustic kits I use way different sticks - Vic Firth 5Bs or Vic Firth Modern Jazz MJC1, both wood tip.
      Last edited by Trip McNealy; 12-22-18, 11:32 AM.
      Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
      Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

I agree that 7A could feel too tiny...coming from rock, 5A stick sizes but when giving the 7A a chance during some rehearsals- I like them better and better.

Both the Vics and Vater e-sticks have been reviewed in digitalDrummer Magazine.

The nylon tip is a must for esticks!

Best regards & Merry Christmas to all drummers out there!

Anders / www.zourman.com / Great ROLAND hi-hat conversation modules for 2box + samples
        Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

What makes nylon tips better? I'm serious, I can't think of what would make them better.

Do they wear better? Is the great that wood tips eventually splinter and tor up the mesh heads?

Back when I played acoustics the nylon would rub off all over my ride, and it didn't want to get my electrics all sorry as they would be harder to clean

Comment

Wood tips will wear... even on mesh. It takes time, but not a lot of it. Itís all about the lacquer wearing off. After that, itís a matter of time.

On the other hand, it is highly unlikely nylon tips will wear at all, or even pop off. The stick will wear out long before the nylon will.

On an acoustic, everything wears. However, on an electronic, generally only wood wears. Itís pretty much a no-brainer. A surprise worn wooden tip can quickly destroy a mesh head. Nylon doesnít really wear on e-kits... well, enough to notice, anyway.
            Alan
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

I've always used 7A as I have short fingers. Nothing to do with music styles. They're just the most comfortable. What's most important to me is wood type and flex.
              *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
              Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

7a nylon here. Just like the balance, weight, ease of rebound. I always used nylon on acoustics, I suppose due to the pinging sound on ride and crash bow, so they have always just been a preference.
                My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Perfect sticks will work only with perfect hands, I guess. Anyway, my current favourite is Vater Sugar Maple 5B with nylon heads. Almost as light as 7 but thick enough for my hands.
                  On an acoustic set still experimenting with brands, tips and the type of wood but I definitely appreciate the thickness of 5Bs.
                  TD-11 + TD-4 with a few pads and cymbals.
                  https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...44011-my-kit-s
                  https://sites.google.com/view/open-source-drum-module

Comment

Fun!

The series of custom sticks (both 7A and 5B) I made uses hand-selected of first-run hickory. Very smooth, straight and consistent. I have some pairs for test and sale in a friends music store at their demonstration room with e-drums sets...and the 5B have now last for 1,5 year...yes, they starts look a bit used...but no major issues with them...

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Comment

FYI, VF already has some. I have been using them for a few months and like them so far.

http://vicfirth.com/products/drum-st...lassic/estick/
                      Roland TM6-Pro, Pearl RBM20, Roland TD-9 V2, Roland TD-4, Pearl Export with TruTrac Heads and Cymbals, Alesis DM Cymbals, ddrum DRT Triggers, Zildjian L80 Cymbals, AD2, Reaper, and enough other stuff I'm surprised my wife has not left me yet.

Comment

ALL I use is 7AN sticks. I use to use 5BN. Too fat heavy and fat. So. I use 7AN for both E-drums and Acoustic. Feels good and I'm not slinging around a bunch of weight. I use to be a hard hitter, not so much anymore.

7AN, the perfect size. JM2cents

Comment

Working...
                        X