New recorded Song with Mimic Pro - PFR's Anything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New recorded Song with Mimic Pro - PFR's Anything

I'd love to hear what you think of this tune. I spent a TON of time getting all of the parts right. I am not a Guitarist, vocalist, bassist or keyboardist, but one of my favorite "hobby" things to do is to try to hear all of the parts and play the instruments and record them, mix them, and hopefully come up with something that is either like the original or at leat a respectable rendition of it.

Please check out the blog post on my website here and let me know what you think: https://www.blades.technology/music/songs/anything
    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

I feel ya on SO4. I love a lot of things about it... especially the console emulation.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I tried the console emulation with the included one and I really didn't care for it. Maybe one of the add on modules would change my mind.

I really do like the fat channel, especially with the several free extensions to it I have picked up when presonus occasionally offers them up. I have gotten several new eq and compressor models for it that are otherwise kind of expensive.

The application was very stable and I appreciate some of the minimalism compared to Sonar where I can from, which is busy to look at and that prochannel just never really grabbed me, especially with the whole thing being automatically added to evetu channel whether I wanted it there or not..

Comment

After input from people on other forums, my wife, and my own listening on other systems, I have tightened up the mix and master on this some. A few notable changes are the addition of some low end back in the kick and bass (EQ), reduction in compression on the Bass guitar,some EQ tweaks on the lead vocal and some leveling of it as well, adjustments to the levels where the guitar solos are, a change to the way it was mastered, using more leveling for volume and less additional overall EQ or compression. I think that all of these together have made the sound better and I'll likely be stopping additional changes to this tune at this point.

Sure would like some additional feedback - here's the link: https://www.blades.technology/music/songs/anything

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
          I feel ya on SO4. I love a lot of things about it... especially the console emulation.
          If you love that console emulation, do have a look at Harrison MixBus.
          It has a great concept, and a great analogue sound and feel to it.

Best mix I've ever done... warm, full, and great sound.
          I've had Logic and StudioOne, but MixBus is my fav now.
          DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Havenít tried it. Looked at it, but didnít give it a go. Between SO4 and all the Slate stuff, Iíve got too much already. lol
            Alan
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Anyone else? My wife says that there are a still a few things that could be improved on the vocal parts of the mix. What she described is the ever elusive sound that seems to come from a combination of better-than-I-have mics and more-than-I-have talent, but I'd like some other recordists/mixers around here for what else might need to be done before I clamp down on a final mix.

My initial thoughts are that I'm going to re-record the first part of the first verse, as it seems a little unsteady and I this is partly what is making it stand out negatively - my first recording of the morning and all that...

As mentioned in the blog post, this is my first recording with this soundcard (Presonus Studio 1824) and with my Pearl Mimic Pro drum kit.

I look forward to any opinions you might have.
              https://www.blades.technology/music/songs/anything

Comment

if you insist on opinions.. it's pretty cool you played all instruments, bass, keys, guitar, vocals, backing vocals (forgot drums !)..
                reminds me of Scott Haskitt.. to me the song has a 'beatles' vibe.. i'm not very into 'pop' ..so, i don't know the other bands..
                it's a very balanced mix.. what i hear in the first part of the song, is some sentences with 's' words get a tad emphasised by this
                vocal mic (it's not the singing, but the mic..) it's not disturbing but what i noticed, when listening 'first time' ..
                to me the mix is already 'radio quality' .. if you want opinions, you should keep 'mix 1' 'mix 2' 'mix 3' also on the page..
                because we can't hear what changed (or 'improved' ) also the end fade (going to '0' dB in less than 10 seconds, feels kind of fast to me)
                it's almost like a dj is fading out to go commercial and not like a 'studio' song fade .. but it sounds pretty good .. that's my opinion ..
                Last edited by Ericdrumz; 12-22-18, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Thank you ericdrumz. That is exactly the sort of reply I am looking for. Glad you found it to be radio quality. I actually matched the fade to the original, but I agree that it is a bit fast. I will adjust on final mix. I also think it isn't a bad idea to include the other original mixes for comparison. I will see how best to do that, assuming I kept them on the drive

Comment

Ok - after much listening, getting feedback, and messing with this mix, I've done a few other things to hopefully improve it. I think I'm done making changes at this point, so I'd love to hear your opinions on this. I only have the most recent version posted. If you happened to have listed before, here's what I've changed since the last version:

1. I re-recorded the first few lines of the first verse to give them better strength
                    2. I have doubled the lead vocal on the Choruses
                    3. I have fixed a line that had a wrong lyric (oops)
                    4. I have change the chorus fx plugin that I was using to a different one and turned the Mix on that plugin way down, so there isn't much of it there.
                    5. I have tweaked the EQ on the acoustic guitar a bit to put a little high end back in it to brighten it up some.
                    6. I have fixed the guitar solo levels to be a little bit hotter, as in the last mix I pulled them a bit too far down, I think
                    7. I added a phaser plugin to the wash of distorted guitar during the choruses and raised the level a bit from where it was before. I think this helped fill out the chorus a bit.
                    8. I changed the reverb used on the vocals from a room (Presonus) to a Plate (T-Racks).

So, here's the page. I sure would appreciate any further thoughts you might have on this!
                    https://www.blades.technology/music/songs/anything

Comment

This is a really great cover version of this song.

I had listened to V1 and like where you've gone with the changes.

Drums sound great. In particular - your toms sound is straight up awesome (I'm a mimic pro owner as well)!

Love your vocals - well done. Lead seriously sounds like the record.

Comparing to the original, the only big difference I hear is in the bass guitar.

I love where its sits in the original mix. Very consistent sound and bass volume in the original.

Not sure what you did in terms of processing, but a couple thoughts (I'm a Studio One User as well).

1. Not sure if your using the S1 Multiband compressor on bass - but it works great on flattening out the volumes across the bass frequency range. I start with the e bass preset (1 compressor point) and dial the frequency point and lower compression level to taste. Works great where your trying to tame the higher frequency volumes (this song has a great higher octave bass line) while keeping a consistent lower bass register when the bass parts are in those ranges.
                      2. Once you've smoothed the bass frequency volumes I would see what you think of more bass volume in the overall mix. To my ear (on my system comparing to the original) it could be 4 to 6db higher.

Anyway - take all that advice for what its worth.

Great performances and a really solid mix. Really enjoyed the listen.

Mimic Pro + Extras
                      Presonus RM32
                      Porter & Davies
                      Roland and Stealth Triggers

Comment

Sounds great Blades! and an excellent song with a great message to boot.
                        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

JmanWord - Thanks man.

vdrumschuh - Thank you for the detailed comments. Here are a few answers:

Regarding the Multiband compressor - no, I didn't use that, but next mix I do, I'll definitely revisit that. I didn't use the typical bass amp I'd use either (virtual). I like the PodFarm stuff and at the time I recorded the bass, I didn't have it in 64bit form. I've since remedied that, but didn't use it after that. I actually used the Ampire VST along with the Fat Channel for EQ (standard one that comes with S1) and Compression, using the added compressor that Presonus did as a giveaway: Classic Compressor

Ehh - Strike that! I returned to my mix and the compressor, while enabled and selected, has no settings, so no compression ever engaged. Unless the compressor itself imparts a sound (which is possible), it was just Ampire. So I went back and added the multiband compressor, tweaked the settings, mixed to taste, and made a new version of the mix (same levels but the bass is naturally a bit hotter due to the compressor gain), which I have uploaded and replaced on the blog post. Please take a listen to the updated mix with the newly compressed bass: https://www.blades.technology/music/songs/anything

As for the drums: I used the Ocean preset from the Mimic with little if any changes aside from adding a new cymbal and a hi tom.
                          I send out the DB25 to get tracks for kick, snare, stereo toms, stereo overhead, stereo room, and one each for hat and ride on two additional analog outs, all going to the ADA8200 -> Presonus Studio 1824 USB.

- Kick: uses the Fat Channel (calling it FC) Passive EQ with a Boost AND Attenuation at 60Hz and a little boost at 8k + The Tube (FC) with some relatively tame settings
                          - Snare: FC Standard compressor being sent to a reverb that has had a low cut from 500hz and a slight high boost starting around 5k
                          - Toms: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - there are exactly as they came out of the Mimic!
                          - Overheads - a little Vintage EQ with a cut at 60hz and a little boost at 7.2 (some peak and a bit more on the shelf)
                          - Room - similar EQ curve to the Overheads but using the standard EQ instead of the Vintage one.

No telling how I ended up at these settings. Especially since EQs and Compressors can be similar at similar settings when compared directly, but whn compared NOT directly going from one to another is really a matter of how you are feeling and hearing at that moment, I think. It's kind of like cooking: whether you are using regular table salt or Himalayan Pink salt, YOU know, but with the proper quantities, your guests probably won't; only if you overdo it.

So, again, thanks for the listen(s) and please feel free to check out the newly tweaked bass guitar, adding to the weight of the overall mix.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed breakdown on the kit and processing!

I've been recording the mimic multi-tracked as well and it doesn't need much processing to my ear.

I'm a huge van of the VEX Hakim kit (all of Alan's kits are great for that matter).

Loving the new bass sound and mix as I am listening in my home studio (PResonus Sceptre's). Mix is really well glued together now. Sounds fantastic!
                            Mimic Pro + Extras
                            Presonus RM32
                            Porter & Davies
                            Roland and Stealth Triggers

Comment

Great! Thanks again for the listen and the feedback. It is obviously important to hear it when you have listened to a track so many times on your own.

Comment

Working...
                              X