Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Band - Mimic + Drum Tec + ATV Live in Germany

Hello All,

I thought some of you might enjoy this footage taken of my band last week, during our Tour in Germany. Drums, accoustic guitar and vocals, and bass, are from UK. lead guitarist is from Germany. We get together about twice a year and always have a lot of fun.

This is a raw camcorder recording, taken from behind our lead guitarist. You are hearing a mix of stage sound and PA. Please bear this in mind. The sound out front was truly epic, and the audience, which included muso's and sound engineers, did not believe I was using vdrums

I use Master Outs 1 and 2 for PA (no room or reverb, and large scoop at 45hz). Stage monitor is Yamaha DBR15 and I send from my headphones out. This gives me independant and on the fly control of the monitor, whichs is great.

I'm using VEX sounds - mostly Origins, using a mix of Bonham and Maple Works. I've tweaked tom sustain and release. No other chanhes to EQ, apart from Master Out and Headphone Out EQ, which both have the 45hz scoop.

Mimic performed flawlesly, Drum-Tec looked great on stage and the ATV cymbals inc. ride and hat were epic.

I hope you enjoy. If you do, I have other videos from last week's trip on FB and YT, and can post them here if you wish.
    Pearl Mimic Pro, Drum-Tec 7pc Pro Series kit, ATV hats, ride and 14" and 16” crash, and a few old Roland CY14s

Looks and sounds awesome!
    Pearl MIMIC Pro, Pearl Export ELX A2E Conversion, ATV Cymbals and Snare

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

Sounds great especially given that you only get together twice a year.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

You have accomplished the dream of many Jouxplan!
          It makes me smile with glee at how articulate everything sounds, but at the same time, feel strangely apprehensive. Cursed with knowledge about how complex it all is.
          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
          Community Drum Module Document
          PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
            It makes me smile with glee at how articulate everything sounds, but at the same time, feel strangely apprehensive. Cursed with knowledge about how complex it all is.
            I will add as well, strangely still in 2018, only 2box and mimic don't have machine gun and have depth in sound combined, it's shame, most vst use 1GB\8GB per kits multiply by 2 to get in wav format, all others below 250mb per kits which reduce considerably layers, richness and depth.
            Last edited by Chris K; 10-06-18, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Itís not that complicated. As drummers it seems many have been behind when it comes to technology. Yes there is a lot to learn but I would say it is part of the craft. Keyboard players have lived with this for years and embraced it.
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thank you all so much I'm chuffed you like and appreciate it!

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                Yes, I will admit that everytime I power my module up, there is a knot of fear inside as to whether something will go wrong and it won't boot up or something (I had the same on my Roland TD30 and previously TD20, the Mimic is no different). MKOK is absolutely right however - and I always tell myself that keyboard players and guitarists have had these 'electronic' fears for years, it's no different. Nonetheless, I feel the fear of letting the band down and then the inevitable "well, if they were acoustic drums, this would not have happened" type of comment. So there is always a stress / pressure.

I think for us vdrummers playing live, there IS an added pressure. It comes from the naysayers; the people who hate vdrums; the acoustic drummers who are secretly hoping your module blows up, or does not work. I feel like I'm on a mission to show audiences and especially naysayers, just how fantastic vdrums can be, and as a result I live in terror of my equipment one day letting me down. But in 8 years of gigging with TD20, TD30 and now Mimic, I've yet to have a problem, and I can't let myself be ruled by fear.

What I do do, is try and control the risk as much as possible. I am fanatical about looking after my equipment, especially on the road. Everyhting is in hardcases. The Mimic is in a bomb proof case. I'm super careful with cables and power cable and routing of cable. I fret when the band is chucking stuff into the van and I make sure the heaviest thing that is plonked ontop of my Mimic is a (small) plectrum.........The band hate me for it, but I see it as an essential part of ensuring that everything will work first time. To date, it has

I will post one or two more videos here, in case you don't see them on FB or YT. But I am rather monopolizing various vdrum FB groups with these videos, so I'm guessing most people on this forum have or will see them anyway.

Again - thank you for your very kind words!

Alex ('jouxplan' is just a YouTube Channel name - please feel free to call me Alex!)
                Pearl Mimic Pro, Drum-Tec 7pc Pro Series kit, ATV hats, ride and 14" and 16” crash, and a few old Roland CY14s

Comment

I can tell you every band who uses electronics has this fear that stuff fails. It's normal, and it's ok.
                  At the time when I did FOH sound mxing I was even afraid that MY stuff failed, and the company I worked for avoided digital mixing desks like the plague. But over time, digital equipment became better and more fail-safe. Production and quality standards are way higher nowadays than, say, 10 years ago. And if something still fails, then it's... well... it's live.

I once asked the guys in my band (the first where I play drums, since I was a bassist before, so I have no personal a-kit record): 'Shall I get an a-kit for gigging?' And they said 'Dude, **** no! We can gig anywhere we want, and it's all sounding huge right away!' Ok, I've started using real shells for the look and feel, and modded low-volume cymbals, so it's not looking too gimicky, but it's still electronic, and I have a Thinkpad with AddictiveDrums2, plus my module plus USB audio device plus small mixer hooked up next to me. If that fails, then ok, but there is no intrinsic error, thus no real reason to go a-kit just for the sake of 'credibility'.

Alex, you guys are doing serious business, I can see 4 top-notch musicians. Nothing else counts. Keep it up
                  MarkDrum YES e-kit (+1 crash, Double Kick), modified HH (DIY hall-sensor based circuit)
                  Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat
                  Gibraltar Intruder Double Pedal
                  ATH-M40fs + M40x + SRH440 Phones

Comment

sounds awesome as usual.

Even tho I gig mostly on an a-kit, when I do gig with the mimic I bring my td15 module as a back up. I was going to sell it but I think I'll keep it as a backup plan. the very few times I played out on the TD15 I didn't have a backup module. I didn't like that feeling. It would totally suck to go from the Mimic to the Td15 at a gig, but at least the show could go on. I'll never be the reason a gig gets cancelled. lol.
                    Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
                    Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

Originally posted by sascha View Post

Alex, you guys are doing serious business, I can see 4 top-notch musicians. Nothing else counts. Keep it up
                      That is a truly wonderful thing to say - thank you so much. I'll be passing that compliment on to the rest of the band

Here is another video from the same gig. This is one of my favs to play - it is actually an original song by our French vocalist / acoustic guitarist. It has a wonderful groove, and seriously, the guitar gives me goosebumps every time. I know Sergey absolutely loves this........

Comment

Haha... I knew I've seen that stage before... now it's clear... the venue you've been is pretty close to where I grew up, and I've played there many times myself (in the 90s, in numerous bands). That location was sort of our homebase, one of the girls from our next-door band worked at the bar back then. Funny to see this world is really a village...
                        Last edited by sascha; 10-10-18, 02:11 AM.
                        MarkDrum YES e-kit (+1 crash, Double Kick), modified HH (DIY hall-sensor based circuit)
                        Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat
                        Gibraltar Intruder Double Pedal
                        ATH-M40fs + M40x + SRH440 Phones

Comment

Working...
                        X