bass drum slide double lesson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bass drum slide double lesson

Here is a new video I just made on the bass drum slide double stroke I use. It is great for punk music, but also works in any other genera. I use it all the time. I put in a few exercises that I do over and over to build up the ankle strength. I used a 30+ year old pedal with no adjustments. Also the pad on the TD-11 is not the best if you want rebound, so it wasn't as clean as my brand new Axis pedals on the A kit

https://youtu.be/tjcTrPhH_nY

Great video. Thanks for posting.
    Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8. Snare: PD-120. Hats: VH-11. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1. Pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Tama Swivel hi-hat stand.

Comment

cool video.. and this is pretty much how many guys play doubles on single pedal .. most drummers' right foot has a couple of years over a left foot
      (same as the weaker left hand story..) but if i was paying attention correctly.. in your other vid, you also play heel toe? sixtuplet (double pedal) doubles..
      now you don't hear that a lot.. most guys can do 16ths doubles with both feet but not sixtuplets..

Comment

Thanks for the comment. I'll link a vid of that technique as it's been a long time since I posted it https://youtu.be/A2gjb9AzpRw

The heel toe thing is almost a joke once you get it. It is super easy provided this.
        -You have direct drive long board pedals
        -loose spring tension
        -bass drum batter head is cranked tight
        - triggers for sound (more consistent)
        - the other settings such as VDL, Beater distance, Beater height are all good)

I actually taught my guitar player who has never played drums to prove it's a setting thing.

I never thought of the sixtuplets. My band rights in Triplets, or sixtuplets all the time.. So I guess I just figured out how to do it.. The best part of heel toe is that My brain can slow down at at 240 BPM and it's less stress full..

Rather than think of RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL I actually just think R L R L R L R L I"m making one motion with my leg, my foot naturally does its thing and I get two strokes.

So naturally when our stuff required crazy triplets, its RLR LRL RLR LRL and I get RRLLRR LLRRLL RRLLRR LLRRLL This one took a bit longer to learn as I need to concentrate on it and not end up on the wrong foot

Also I'm impressed, I think your one of the first people to notice or at least comment on that. Mind you, there are about 12 kick drums per second so it's tough to tell lol.
        Last edited by scottyp; 01-11-18, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyp View Post
          So naturally when our stuff required crazy triplets, its RLR LRL RLR LRL and I get RRLLRR LLRRLL RRLLRR LLRRLL This one took a bit longer to learn as I need to concentrate on it and not end up on the wrong foot
          so I heard it right.. cool you can play it like that, because the lead foot changes and with singles it doesn't .. (i'll stick to single triplets.. and 200 bpm is enough for me ..lol)

Comment

Wow.. an old Ludwig Speed King... I have one even older, got it used in 1977, great pedal. I haven't used mine years though, been using a DW 5000 double for 20+ years. Awesome video BTW.
            Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

It was my grandpas who passed about 27 years ago so tough to really say how old it is... Not sure if you can date those? I found out my Ludwig snare I inherited is 1964 Superphonic from the badge and serial which is pretty neat. I also have a 60's era premier kit with fully rounded edges that sounds amazing.. He was a pretty impressive jazz player. That is a genera I would like to start digging into more and more. I have been practicing along with some backing tracks and man,,,,, Jazz is tough.

Comment

Working...
              X