[video] Dance/funk track using Superior Drummer 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [video] Dance/funk track using Superior Drummer 3

Had so much fun with this one! Really, all of the PBUG tunes are a blast to drum to. If you're into this kinda music, check out www.peteraybiggin.com to snag a copy of the playalong book/CD.

Anyway, here are the Superior Drummer 3 kit specifics and other tidbits:

Started with the "Dry Yamaha Rock" preset and changed the kick, snare and hi-hat.

Kick: 16x20" Pearl Masterworks
    Snare: 8x14" Tama Artwood Maple, detuned just a bit
    Hi-Hat: 17" Masterwork Custom Series
    Toms: Yamaha Beech Custom (9x10", 10x12", 14x16")
    Crash (left): 16" Zildjian K Constantinople
    Crash (right): 18" Paiste 2002 Medium
    Ride: 24" Paiste 2002

Mix specifics:

On the stereo drum bus, I'm using a Drum Bus preset from EZMix.

On the master stereo output, I'm using the "Master2" preset from EZMix.

Thanks for watching!

TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Always great videos!

So in SD 3.0 when you are doing these EZMix presets.. in the Mixer section of SD are you creating a new Bus and sending certain inputs to it? If so, which ones? Similarly when you mention master stereo output are you referring to the "Out 1/2" that is on the mixer page (I think it all the way to the right on the end)? If you ever get a chance to screenshot what this all looks like on the Mixer that'd be super helpful!
    Last edited by Trip McNealy; 11-09-17, 04:06 PM.
    Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-105X/125X pads | CY-15R's | VH-11 | DIY 13" Snare + 16" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
    Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | CY-15R + PCY-135/155's | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post
      Always great videos!

So in SD 3.0 when you are doing these EZMix presets.. in the Mixer section of SD are you creating a new Bus and sending certain inputs to it? If so, which ones? Similarly when you mention master stereo output are you referring to the "Out 1/2" that is on the mixer page (I think it all the way to the right on the end)? If you ever get a chance to screenshot what this all looks like on the Mixer that'd be super helpful!
      Sorry for the late response. When I'm applying an EZMix preset to the whole drum mix, I just apply it to the stereo channel in Cubase that has the SD instance on it. If I'm selecting a kit preset within SD3, it has its own processing of the various drum mics of course. But the instance of EZMix is applied outside of SD3. That's done in Cubase. And if I apply a master bus preset in Cubase, it's on the final stereo out of the entire mix. Hope that makes sense

TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

Chris, (A.K.A. bakerboy),

There is something odd with this video. I'm not sure if it's a sync problem or something else, but it utterly detaches and kills the groove. The strange thing is I can tell your playing is spot on. It's not your drumming. Rather, it's the video encoding. There are several places where I did a double take and had to reorient myself because it's as though the time looses several fractions of a beat. It's very unsettling. Is it possible my computer is hiccuping and causing the odd timing / video sync problems?

At any rate, this is the first video of yours I've seen so I went on to watch another PBUG track you laid down, Downhill Falls. Wow, you hit that one out of the park (and this one to, for that matter)! Downhill Falls flows effortlessly and there are no video sync or timing problems. Anyway man, just wanted to say I'm really digging your playing and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your music and drumming!

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
          Chris, (A.K.A. bakerboy),

There is something odd with this video. I'm not sure if it's a sync problem or something else, but it utterly detaches and kills the groove. The strange thing is I can tell your playing is spot on. It's not your drumming. Rather, it's the video encoding. There are several places where I did a double take and had to reorient myself because it's as though the time looses several fractions of a beat. It's very unsettling. Is it possible my computer is hiccuping and causing the odd timing / video sync problems?

At any rate, this is the first video of yours I've seen so I went on to watch another PBUG track you laid down, Downhill Falls. Wow, you hit that one out of the park (and this one to, for that matter)! Downhill Falls flows effortlessly and there are no video sync or timing problems. Anyway man, just wanted to say I'm really digging your playing and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your music and drumming!
          I'll definitely admit that at 4:38 - that fill going into the chorus again - I got just slightly behind the track and had to recover really quickly once back into the chorus. If that's a spot you're referring to, then yeah... that was definitely me. In all of these PBUG tracks, there are a few spots where I'd go back and punch-in/fix if I were doing this for a client and it was just about the audio. But I just wanted to keep these Youtube videos one-take and not punch-in and use various camera angles to make everything perfect.

Thanks for all the feedback on them, though... much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post

Sorry for the late response. When I'm applying an EZMix preset to the whole drum mix, I just apply it to the stereo channel in Cubase that has the SD instance on it. If I'm selecting a kit preset within SD3, it has its own processing of the various drum mics of course. But the instance of EZMix is applied outside of SD3. That's done in Cubase. And if I apply a master bus preset in Cubase, it's on the final stereo out of the entire mix. Hope that makes sense
            Yup, that makes sense! I have Cubase 8 LE so I will try those techniques one of these days.

When you record your video playalong what do you have your MIDI controller/ASIO bit rate set to? 44100, 48000, 96000, etc? An A/V friend of mine suggested 48000Hz since that is NTSC standard and that way lining up audio track to the recorded video is ideal.
            Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-105X/125X pads | CY-15R's | VH-11 | DIY 13" Snare + 16" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
            Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | CY-15R + PCY-135/155's | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
              In all of these PBUG tracks, there are a few spots where I'd go back and punch-in/fix if I were doing this for a client and it was just about the audio. But I just wanted to keep these Youtube videos one-take and not punch-in and use various camera angles to make everything perfect.
              Sometimes my computer doesn't like streaming videos from YouTube. I downloaded your video and watched it again from local storage. The audio sync is much better now. I think that's what was throwing off the groove for me. You mentioned timing inconsistencies around 4:38. Yes, I noticed those and some other places, but I understand you are laying this down simply for fun. It was YouTube streaming that caused the fractional groove / sync problems. The local copy sounds fine. Again I'll underline, I'm enjoying the heck out of your videos and musicianship. Great playing. Very musical. Inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very nice, Chris. Pete Ray Biggins is a beast, I've been a fan of his playing for years.

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                You mentioned timing inconsistencies around 4:38. Yes, I noticed those and some other places,
                Really? I respectfully would disagree with you. I don't hear any, certainly nothing noticeable.
                Last edited by Merlin5; 11-15-17, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin5 View Post
                  Really? I respectfully would disagree with you. I don't hear any, certainly nothing noticeable.
                  The comments about 4:38 came from Chris himself. I'm not here to criticize Chris, but I agree with him that were this a production track, a few areas need some cleanup / punch-in. I love the ideas, technical musicianship, and overall musicality Chris injects.

Comment

Yeah I like his style, and ability too. Good drummer! Enjoyed his vids, keep it up Chris! If I was playing you would be hearing a lot more problems than at 4:38, lol!!

Comment

Working...
                    X