Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And She Was Drum Cover

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And She Was Drum Cover

Partly borne out of frustration I decided to record a drum cover of a Talking Heads tune And She Was which is a live version. Why the frustration? Well reading through the threads on the TD 25 and the soon to be released AD5 if that's what it's called leads me to the conclusion that we're being taken for fools. Where is the progress in module development if the manufacturers are removing the facility to assign the rims of the pads to a separate sound. This is madness. My view of ekits is that they are a different instrument to acoustic kits so what I'm looking for in future ekits is all the bells and whistles that the technology allows, not being stripped of what we have already. Anyway, so back to the video. The point is that my humble TD9 will allow me to assign wood block and cowbells to the tom rims and play along with a live tune which incorporates drums and percussion.

The video sound is really low so I'll need to work on that if I do another.

Cheers
    MOTM
    TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

Like the video and your cover version. The percussion on the tom rims is particularly cool.

Did you do a DIY A to E conversion? What shells and triggers did you use?
    TD25K, Additional CY13 Cymbal and Drum-tec 13" diabolo Hammer head Snare Drum. Iron Cobra 200 Bass Pedal,

Comment

My view of ekits is that they are a different instrument to acoustic kits so what I'm looking for in future ekits is all the bells and whistles that the technology allows, not being stripped of what we have already
      I so completely agree.

In trying to emulate acoustics, we should also embrace technology and push the limit on how and why we use e-drums.
      DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Nice video. I like the way you view your kit. I've always looked at mine as a drum kit and nothing more really, seeing what you've done there has made me realise I should unleash the potential of my kit and start experimenting more, thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Tmitch - Yes the conversion is from a TD9. I use the modules and cymbals and the PD 105 as a 10 inch tom. The snare and another 2 toms were old shells converted using Quartz dual zone triggers. The bass drum was new but very cheap from German company Thomann. The heads are all Z-ED twin ply mesh.

Perceval - All my edrum activities have been on a tight budget and now I might be in a position to spend some cash on a new module. But the way things are going I'll not be changing any time soon. I think the edrum manufacturers are starting to believe the 'less is more' mantra.

Dusty - I play in a covers band and for my own amusement I try to replicate the sounds I'm hearing including percussion and noise effects. I think I did take it too far recently using the module's 'thunder' sounds for the start of the Doors Riders on the Storm. My band mates thought it was great but the novelty wore off on me fairly quickly.

Cheers
          MOTM
          TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎