Stealth 2Box Expressive Hi Hat with Extra Tight Bow and Edge transitions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth 2Box Expressive Hi Hat with Extra Tight Bow and Edge transitions

I did a little experimenting this week. After thinking about the extra tight HH sounds that are part of the Roland VH-12, VH-13 performance on the high end modules, I thought I might try something when building a custom 2Box HH dsnd from a VST Hi Hat. I give a quick write up/explanation of what I did at the end of the video. Thanks for taking the time to watch, J
    Last edited by JmanWord; 05-21-15, 06:23 PM.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Nice work jman. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yes, I see what you did there; shifting everything "up" so you have a new group of velocity layers. Clever thinking!

One criticism, my ears are very sensitive to samples that have been digitally stretched/shortened, so I think a less excessive pitch increase would be more natural imo, for a final version.

This made me think of an alternative mod as well:
      You could very easily build a set of hi-hat velocty layers in SDSE in BFD3 with the Velocity to Pitch turned on and import JUST for the closed hi-hat samples into 2box. Now you have an unorthodox playing style where you get tightness via your wrists, instead of your foot
      ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
      Community Drum Module Document
      PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
        Yes, I see what you did there; shifting everything "up" so you have a new group of velocity layers. Clever thinking!

One criticism, my ears are very sensitive to samples that have been digitally stretched/shortened, so I think a less excessive pitch increase would be more natural imo, for a final version.
        Yeah, that one was the first/only test HH like that I built, more just to see how it would work with the 2Box module. Actually that .dsnd will prolly go in the Recycle Bin, or in my DIY idea archive. For me, I never really cared that much about the Xtra tight thing when I was on a Roland VH-12 ..... finding it more of a nuisance when recording a take and accidently hitting a few Xtra tight HH sounds that didn't fit the track. Kind of like rim clicks on a tom.

But it does open up another possibility for 2Box users if they "gotta have" that xtra foot pressure kinda HH thing .....
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Freakin awesome!!!
          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Clever, JMan. Lustark should add that method as an option when exporting from SDSE. Maybe 100% pitch uplift is a bit too much...but this is easy to adjust when exporting.

Angr77
            Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
              Clever, JMan. Lustark should add that method as an option when exporting from SDSE. Maybe 100% pitch uplift is a bit too much...but this is easy to adjust when exporting.

Angr77
              Thanks, Yes, agreed on the high pitch not necessarily being the right pitch, but that was just a quick test to demo that it is possible. I did mention this project and how I was going to do it in an email with Lustar, so ya never know, he continues to amaze.

In the meantime I did get a question or 2 from people building their own VST based .dsnds from SDSE asking for specifics of the steps for this. So here it is:

That Hi Hat was built from Steven Slate Drums 4. The Soultone Vintage Hi Hat. The Tightest closed sound that you hear is an articulation that I added. But the "next to the tightest" closed sound is the normal closed sound of that Hi Hat. It is probably best to use a Hi Hat that already has a closed sound that is fairly tight, but yes you could do this on most Hi Hats.

Here is an example like that Hi Hat in the Demo ..... which had a Foot Splash, CLOSED, OPEN1,2,3,4 transitions for Bow and EDGE:

1. Load the VST Hi Hat instrument while using SDSE. Build a Hi Hat like you normally would, but do not press Convert, press Render.
              2. After you have Rendered that you should have the 11 Hi Hat WAVS in your Sounds folder. Remove that folder and put it somewhere you can retrieve it later, Like your Desktop.
              3. Next repeat step 1, but before you press Render .... this time use your Mixer section of your VST to tune the Hi Hat Higher, you decide how high seems good to you for the extra tight bow and edge sounds. Press Render.
              4. Now you have a Sound folder on your desktop, and a Sound folder within SDSE. You might want to rename the Sound Folder in SDSE to Sounds High, so you know it is the High Pitched folder.
              5. Go into the Sounds folder on your desktop and Rename all the WAV files except the Foot Splash. This is how you will rename:
              Change only the last portion of the following WAV names and in this order: OPEN4 to OPEN5, OPEN3 to OPEN4, OPEN2 to OPEN3, OPEN1 to OPEN2, CLOSED to OPEN1, . When you are done you will have all your Bow and Edge WAVS renamed in that folder.
              6. Go back to the Sounds High folder (within SDSE): Take the BOW CLOSED, and the EDGE CLOSED files from that folder and move them to the Sounds folder on your Desktop.
              7. Delete the Sounds High folder.
              8 Move the Sounds folder from the desktop back to SDSE where it was originally.
              9. Start SDSE and press Convert. SDSE will convert those WAV files to a Hi Hat .dsnd with Xtra tight transition.

As a side note, I've done quite a bit of retuning in VST programs, especially on Toms where I wanted one more low or high tom than contained in the VST program. In the mixer section beyond simple tuning there are options to really shape the sounds and get what you want. So, for those who are real tweak freaks you could shape that extra tight sound and get just what you want.

I would say for most people, they prolly don't want to take much time tweaking/building sounds for their drum modules ........ But what I am really pleased about with the open sound source of 2Box ......... you can stick with the onboard sounds which are very good, load some new sounds from the website also very good ........ or build your own completely new sounds. Whenever or as often as you like. I LIKE THAT! J
              Last edited by JmanWord; 05-23-15, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X