Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Gig with TD9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Gig with TD9

Played my first gig with a covers band using my TD9 at a small pub yesterday. Overall feeling was that it worked really well. I use 1 main kit and have a couple of others I use for specific songs. I use a variety of sounds for different songs including wood blocks, tambourine, hand claps and even thunder on one tune. Amplification and monitoring for the drums was through a Thomann MA150 monitor which did the job well for the size of venue and kept up with the volume of my two band mates. Any larger a venue and we would definitely need more power all round.

Sound checking before the gig involved playing a tune with the drum recording function on the module and then playing this back with the band accompanying this. This worked well but caused some consternation with the few people in the pub during the soundcheck as I walked away from the drums with the drums still going. One minor problem was forgetting to change the kit between songs but no one noticed other than me. So all in all a really positive experience with the kit. The footprint of the kit is small and I would anticipate this being a big plus when we start playing more gigs in mainly small pubs and clubs.
    Pic of kit though not at gig.
    Cheers
    MOTM
    Attached Files
    TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

Thats brilliant news as a fellow TD9 user! So did you go through a PA system as well or just through the Thomann amp?

Comment

Hi Kenny

No, Just through the Thomann amp, which is damn good for the money, and just got away with it. It was our first gig and seemed to go really well so we'll be looking at the whole sound thing soon.

MOTM

Comment

Well done then. Did the amp have enough bottom end and did you wear headphones as monitors?

Comment

No headphones required as I positioned the amp just to the left and slightly behind so I could tweak the settings if required. As I said Kenny I just got away with it. In a small venue at medium volume then the amp will not clip and as it has a 15" speaker it does move enough air to give decent bass. However, I see it's future role as a monitor only if we invest in a proper PA system.
          MOTM

Comment

I guess its a learning curve as what works in one venue might not work in another. Glad it went well though and good luck with the next one!

Comment

Very nice. I look forward to how you progress. Please keep us up to date.
              Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Yes im interested in how your other gigs go as I play a TD9 also.

Comment

I'll keep you posted gents
                  MOTM

Comment

That is AWESOME news! Glad it worked out. BTW...why were people upset during a sound check?

K
                    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Duplicate post.

K
                      Last edited by Kenster; 06-03-14, 06:05 PM.
                      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Not really upset Kenster, just surprised to see the drummer walking away from the drumset with the drums still playing..like magic.
                        MOTM

Comment

• Dan Thompson
                          Dan Thompson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The ability to step outside of your own performance, get some objectivity, was one of the motivating factors for me when I bought my TD-15 2 years ago. [Also, as you say, it's fun to see people's faces as the drums magically sound while you move about the venue.]

Ha ha would love to see their faces lol

Comment

i do the same thing, have a pre recorded simple drum beat taking in every part of the kit at some point and then i go stand out front and see that everything balances out etc. You do sometimes get a few weird looks but its really handy to be able to do that. Other then volume i hardly have to adjust any other part of the mixer. The kit just seems to be fine everywhere I play........not like my guitarists who tune up every gig.lol.
                          A2E Natal Arcadia jazz, 18,12,14 and 14 dual zone snare, triggered by 2box trigit, powered by td6v and tm2. cy8, cy12,vh10 cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by manonthemoon View Post
                            Sound checking before the gig involved playing a tune with the drum recording function on the module and then playing this back with the band accompanying this. This worked well but caused some consternation with the few people in the pub during the soundcheck as I walked away from the drums with the drums still going. One minor problem was forgetting to change the kit between songs but no one noticed other than me. So all in all a really positive experience with the kit. The footprint of the kit is small and I would anticipate this being a big plus when we start playing more gigs in mainly small pubs and clubs.

Cheers
                            MOTM
                            I dunno, this sounds like an excellent opportunity as part of the performance. Right song, right set up, you could really wow the audience. Get the song going, then get out from behind the kit and join the band mates up front playing a cajon, or some handheld percussion instrument. I'm just saying.

Comment

Working...
                            X