Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD20 on stage - midi files reader/recorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD20 on stage - midi files reader/recorder

Hello,
    using sounds from the TD20 with the benefit of eight outputs, I would like to play my TD20 on stage reading drums parts without PC (midi files from cubase SX3)
    It would be great with the TD20 sequencer but I need to play two hours so that's not ok with the small memory.
    Without needing to edit midi files, I'm looking for a midi files reader/recorder.
    I think that it would be the best solution.
    Are you ok about it ? Any ideas about a good equipment ?

Thanks for your help and congratulations for this great forum.

sorry to come back, no idea ?

Comment

Welcome to the forum, killers!

Hardware MIDI-File players have become some kind of rarity and hard to come by lately, in light of software-based solutions booming increasingly in the last couple of years. Mostly, they are still integrated into 'one-man-band' type of Entertainer-Keyboards.

One company that is/was at the forefront regarding such devices, was Charlie Lab.

Their 'Megabeat One' was a very popular MIDI-File player, and has been superseeded by the Megabeat 'Pro' and 'Rack' versions, as well as the 'Matrix' player .

Another contender in this field is Korg with their 'MP-10' media station:

Italian-based company Ketron (the former 'Solton') has a lot of expertise in the field of Entertainer-Keyboards and MIDI-filers.
      One of their core products, the 'MIDI-Jay Pro':

Finally, I don't have to introduce Roland, they have the 'VIMA JM-5' and an Arranger-module in the form of the 'BK-7m'.

Another solution would be to look into dedicated App-software, if you happen to have an ipad or other tablet device!

HTH
      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-29-13, 01:00 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Hi HM, thanks for your answer.
        Very instresting, I read about all but it seems that they do not have separate outputs (I would like eight like the TD20)

Comment

Separate Outputs....Hmmmm.... - This will make finding an appropriate MIDI-Filer even harder!

Then again, why bother?
          MIDI is just data, not audio. Most MIDI-Filers already have a built-in sound-source - no need for separate outs with this, you have built-in mixer facilities!

If that doesn't suffice, MIDI-File players can be hooked up to other sound-modules via MIDI-out, these will have their own outputs you can use as well!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

I would like to read MIDI data with TD20 sounds (without using TD20 on stage) for sending to the mixing desk on eight separate outputs (BD, CC, HH, Ride, Crash L, Crash R, Tom L, Tom R) for two hours without needing to load from the memory card.
            I think you're right with your last solution ("MIDI-File players can be hooked up to other sound-modules via MIDI-out, these will have their own outputs you can use as well!") but I would like to find a solution using just one player (not audio if posible)

Comment

Still a bit unsure, if I got you correctly:

If you use your TD-20 as your sound-source, and hook the MIDI-File Player to it via MIDI-out, you won't need the outputs of the latter anyway, since outputting the sound is done by the TD-20's own outputs!

You would still end up with two devices, though, the MIDI-Filer that plays the MIDI-data and sends it to the TD-20, and the TD-20 itself that converts the incoming MIDI-data into actual sound!

HTH

Comment

Yes, you're right so I have to find the the most simple MIDI-File Player with MIDI-out (I don't need edit functions)
                It seems that all simples are vintage, I don't find a recent one
                I 'll search more tomorrow : thanks for your help

Comment

Most MIDI-File Players don't have much edit-functions anyway, else they wouldn't be 'MIDI-File Players' but 'Hardware-Sequencers.'

Comment

Working...
                  X