My review of the Logitech Z-2300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My review of the Logitech Z-2300

I went out at bought the Logitech Z-2300. Carefully unwrapping because, I wanted to be sure I can return them. They are fine for practice, and maybe as a onstage monitor, but the quality is pretty lacking. The THX certification must be a joke these days. It needs some SERIOUS eq. Not the lows, but the mids and highs. The highs might go to 25K or whatever it does, but there is a serious weak spot in the upper usable range(8-14K) or maybe its WAY too much 200-500hz. Okay, enough about the bad.
    I dont know how that small sub puts out that bass, but WOW. I have been running some good sealed cabinets with 2 12" subs in it that can each take 75W for a total of 150W, and I can honestly say, I think this sub is so efficient that the bass output is more and sounds just as good. The overall loudness is not bad at all, its just the quality of the upper end. Was thinking of hooking some different speakers up to take the place of the small speakers. The small speakers are 8 ohms each and could easily be swapped out for some better ones...or I might just return it. But for 150$ in the store, or 99$ online, its not a bad deal. Portable and pretty lightweight.

UPDATE: Today, I hooked my 1988 Kenwood Floor Speakers 3way/12" subs/8 ohms/75W RMS/ 90db sensitivity up to the sub, and WOW. It is even louder and the sound is incredible....as long as I run the EQ. I mean, it sounds AWESOME, plenty crisp, huge, not weak at all. The subs on the Kenwoods dont hardly move which tells me there is a crossover, so you dont need some speakers with huge subs, maybe a very nice set of 2 way speakers to make this a nice system.
    So in all, as it sits from the store, its HORRIBLE. If you have a 10band(min) eq and a decent set of speakers(no low end required), it THINK it would make a great practice(with other musicians and a on stage monitor). I will be testing out the practice theory this weekend, and as long as I get the job, Ill be on stage soon enough with them and will use the logitechs as a monitor.

The volume/subwoofer controller. One wire goes to the sub, and one wire is your input

A picture of the sub

the green plug with the adapter they give you so you can run RCAs into the speakers

This is what my EQ curve looks like...yes I was using a old pioneer receiver as my amp before.

My kenwood speaker in place
    TD-3 Vdrums with extra CY-8

Logitech is a great brand in my book
    I have never run a large EQ between the module and speakers but I do find Logitech PC speakers alone just don't work well with E-Drums...
    I have about three different sets from them and they sound great on my PC but not as a monitor for my drums. Two of them lack the mids quite a bit and the last one just sounds like bass due to the huge woofer that came with it.

When it comes to audio...The more you spend, the better sound you will get.
    Dave
    Sonic Orb Studios
    My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
    Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Mike:

You rock. Great review. Exactly the kind of user-created support that this place is known for. Now if somebody pops in and says "what about the Logitech Z-2300?" we can point em here.

After I tell em to UTFSE.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

What you describe seems more complex when compared with using/setting up a proper monitor. I have the Logitech system for my PC and I agree that the bass sub is good - in fact the whole thing is good for PC use. When I first got my e-kit I plugged it into the logitech and it sounded...well...bad! For portability the Logitech is the opposite but I see that you won't be using it's speakers; only the sub. But that sub will sound like a high pitched fart on-stage. A 14 inch driver - at least - is a must for a gigging/rehearsing e-kit.

Bear in mind that at gigs you need a monitor setup that is quick and easy. Can this system of yours be setup in under 2 minutes? I'm guessing you need 15-20 minutes for the e-kit. Also, does this system provide a loop output so a un-EQ'd line can be fed to the desk for the FOH?

As for monitoring, well I don't think your system will it'll hack it. Once all the other instruments get going - particularly the bass - you'll find that you need to crank up the system quite a bit in order to hear yourself; I suspect it'll be at that point that the Logitech will go to Sub Heaven. If you're using a lot of EQ then that may contribute towards the downfall of your system in a live situation. Yes things are not as loud onstage as you would expect if you were using an a-kit BUT you still need some serious directional amp/speakers in order to be able to play comfortably and to overtake the sound leakage from the PA, Vocal Monitors, Bass and Guitar Amp. You also need to be confident that your drivers won't cut out due to over heating - that hi-fi speaker and sub most likely will as they are not designed to be driven at the constant frequencys supplied. At the end of a gig my JBL gives off some serious heat around the heatsink area - hotter then my Mackie SRM450s for FOH!

Believe me I've done gigs with my JBL monitor where I've been happy with my volume before a full soundcheck. And then when we soundcheck I find that I have to turn up the volume on the JBL. Now the onstage volume isn't that loud - don't have to wear earplugs and we can all easily hear/talk to each other - and all the other musos are up to comfortable volume level. But as soon as those other speakers/amps get going they can easily overtake your monitor or just knock that edge of volume. Also, in larger halls you need that extra volume/power to overcome the sound reflection from back wall.

Good luck with your system, but if you intend on rehearsing and gigging your e-kit with a band then don't skimp on your monitor/speaker. Bear in mind the rest of the band need to hear a decent drum sound. Cutting corners may end up costing you a gig.
        :eek:

Comment

IMO, the manufacturers of all these PC/home audio system make sure the sub-woofer sounds substantial and loud because most consumers (including myself ) can only hear that and base their buying decisions on this.

Recently I hooked up my kit to a Logitech X-530 5.1 that I got off ebay for $20 bucks, originally used for gaming on my PC. This is nowhere near the power of Z-2300. I think the average RMS is just 70w. I use it purely for practice. I'm not sure about the clarity, but it does give life to the bass. The main complaint is, to my untrained ears, the snare has no clarity at all, sounding very fuzzy.
          My compact kit.

Comment

I returned them today. Best buy gave me the full amount back. Exactly 12$ shy of my friend selling me a crown ce 1000 amp that puts out 450 RMS at 4 ohms PER CHANNEL or 1100 watts RMS bridged mono into 4 ohms.

So this will provide the power, and I will get some decent speakers...but will sample them in store before buying, or go off the guide here.
            I found I had another 2 ch. receiver laying around that drove the home speakers that had a built in 3 band eq that flat out blew the other speakers sound quality out of the water. Although, that sub was nice...It wont compare to 800 watts though

Comment

Mike,

Did you test out your practice theory?
              My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                Mike,

Did you test out your practice theory?
                No, thats not until Saturday, I just started thinking about hauling all this stuff for mediocre sound. I couldnt pass up the deal on the amp, and there are some speakers out there that handle 500+ watts continuous, so I could just run one. So, just a amp, a speaker are all I need...instead of sub, 2 speakers, eq, etc. Plus, I dont want to be pushing something hard all night just waiting for it to break. Its nice to have some head room. Then I started also thinking that if we play a small place with no PA, my set up could double as the PA. Especially if I get 2 good cabinets. I know they have some mics and I think I have a 8 ch mixing board...and with the V drums I only need one channel in a pinch.

Comment

We gig several times each month at clubs ranging from about 300 to about 1.500 in capacity. I have a Roland PM-3 and a JBL EON G2 for personal monitoring and stage volume. I got tired of the weight of the Roland and the ever-blowing tweeters on the satellite so I started looking at other alternatives. I tried playing with only the JBL on stage, but I missed having the satellite speakers directing back to me (especially the highs).

I had bought my son a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system for his computer, so I thought that I would give it a try as a personal monitor. Believe it or not, this system works great!! I would not use it by itself and I turn the sub way down because it is the weak link, but the satellites sound much better than the Roland satellites and, used together with the JBL, it is an amazing solution for roughly $150 (compared with around $600 for the PM-3).

At first, I only used it for small clubs, but over time it has completely replaced my Roland PM-3. This Fall I used it in Vegas where we played in a variety of venues, including one of the main ballrooms at Caesar’s Palace. After dozens of gigs, the Klipsch has been a workhorse! Now, my PM-3 never leaves my studio.

So, while I wouldn’t try to use the Klipsch to replace your stage volume or FOH (unless you play in your bathroom), if you are looking for a cheap solution for personal monitoring, check out the Klipsch.

Jim
                  "too loud, too late"
                  My mom, circa 1974 (before v-drums)

www.redrhythm.com

Comment

I own the Logitech Z-2300's and I am quite happy with them as a
                    system for my Mac G-5 tower. They are great computer speakers
                    for the money. As far as using them for my V-Drums, I would try
                    something else. I scored the Z-2300's new for $79.00 bucks so
                    I have nothing to complain about...
                    Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

That "sub" wouldn't last two minutes for me.
                      Eon G2 with 15"....easy and loud.
                      The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Working...
                      X