Snare setups for TDW-20 live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare setups for TDW-20 live

I am curious to know what snare setups you guys that play live for worship teams/church use. I've been using the TDW-20 stock snare with a few tweaks, however the acoustic drummer thinks it sounds way too thin. And I agree. I don't have a lot of time with the kit setup at the church to try and find just the right sound. Of course what sounds good in the headphones is all wrong live.

We play pop/rock tunes most of the time.
    Any comments would be appriciated.

i just started using my tdw 20 at church this past week. a good all purpose snare i use alot is the 80 metal snare wood shell 5" deep coated head tuned to 45 i think. we did third day Christmas songs last sunday and i used the
    50's king snare 5.5" wood shell, coated head tuned to 37 again i think lol!
    and sounds much like the snare the drummer in third day uses. my kit also sounds a little thin thru the mains pa but thats because of inexperianced sound man. a little sweep on the mids should do the trick. also a BBE sonic maximizer should add punch and clearity like mine does.
    like i said, it sounded thin thru the mains but great thru my roland kc500 personal amp.
    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
      .. the 80 metal snare wood shell 5" deep coated head tuned to 45..
      ..50's king snare 5.5" wood shell, coated head tuned to 37 and sounds much like the snare the drummer in third day uses.
      Thanks, I'll give that a try this weekend.

Happy Christmas.

Comment

I have been editing some of my snare sounds and am very pleased.
        one of my Christmas gifts from my wife is mike portnoys score dvd which if any of you have been to mikeportnoy .com you would know that he sells alot of the bands studio and live dvd's with the drum cam shots only and have 3 audio choises and one of them is drums only. so that way i was able to really listen to his live snare sound which is one or should i say 2 my favorites which is based on his albino siamese kit.
        i am also very surprised to say the 50' radio snare is my faverite. is seem to be the most expressive. with some editing you can make dozens of charictaristics from this snare.
        i made these edits using headphones but should be very close live as well based on my experiance the edited kits i used needed very little modifications.
        so here is snare no.1
        50's king
        shell wood
        depth 2.5
        head coated
        tuning +51
        muffle doughnuts2
        strainer adj med
        mic pos, standard

compression:
        attack emphasis
        type limiter
        gain +4
        thres -12
        ratio 8:1

atck 20
        hold 50
        rels 40

ambience rock club
        room size large
        room shape 100
        wall type wood
        mic pos med
        amb send 65

snare no 2 is all the same the only difference is the shell depth is 6.5 which also sounds alot like bonhams snare. if you want a beefier tone set the mic position in a notch or two. snare no 2 tuned to +37 and with doughnuts 1, will sound alot like third days snare.
        Let me know what you think.
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

The thing is, a TD-20 needs some time put into it, even ifs its to load up kits and sounds from the VEX guys which is where your next stop should be. You still need to take some time out with the sound guy from your church and get the drums sounding right, whether its tweaks at the desk or from the module. Failing that, the kit was just a waste of money.

Set up some loop patterns and play them so you can go out front and hear whats going on. This way you can tweak in real time without having to sit behind the kit or play.

Hope you get it sorted.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
          *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

also a BBE sonic maximizer should add punch and clearity like mine does.
            Wich model do you refer to. I see there are several maximizers. Could you explain how they work and their benefit for edrums, thanks.

Anyone who knows which BBE model would be best for live gigging (the price also counts)?
            Last edited by rythm; 01-02-09, 06:57 PM.
            2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

Does the front of house PA have a sub,and what model of speakers are they? My TDW20 has sounded great through every good PA. You may be able to add some low end EQ to a system without a sub.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by rythm View Post
                Wich model do you refer to. I see there are several maximizers. Could you explain how they work and their benefit for edrums, thanks.

Anyone who knows which BBE model would be best for live gigging (the price also counts)?
                i have a bbe 362 at church and a 482 at home both are the pretty much the same the difference is that the 362 is stereo with ganged controls and the 482 has right and left controls for the low contour and process. the 362 is a excellent buy at 99.95 at gutar center or musicians friend. what does it do? the low contour shapes the low frequencies for tight punch and the process add clear highs and mids. it also corrects the phase and allows all frequencies to reach the speaker in a time that make the speakers run more efficiently which allows for punchy cleaner tones. it can be better be explained by doing a search for BBE sonic maximiser.
                ps.. the bbe also do wonders with headphones

Comment

i have a bbe 362 at church and a 482 at home both are the pretty much the same the difference is that the 362 is stereo with ganged controls and the 482 has right and left controls for the low contour and process. the 362 is a excellent buy at 99.95 at gutar center or musicians friend. what does it do? the low contour shapes the low frequencies for tight punch and the process add clear highs and mids. it also corrects the phase and allows all frequencies to reach the speaker in a time that make the speakers run more efficiently which allows for punchy cleaner tones. it can be better be explained by doing a search for BBE sonic maximiser.
                  ps.. the bbe also do wonders with headphones
                  Thanks for the reply! I got interested when you mentioned the BBE since I somtimes dont get that fat punch, especially in the kick, that I want. Ill check this maximizer out. If you got any more advice how to bring out the best from the drums Id appreciate that. Thanks again!
                  2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

Originally posted by rythm View Post
                    Thanks for the reply! I got interested when you mentioned the BBE since I somtimes dont get that fat punch, especially in the kick, that I want. Ill check this maximizer out. If you got any more advice how to bring out the best from the drums Id appreciate that. Thanks again!
                    i set the low contour to 3:00 and afterwards adjust the lows on the amp or pa to fine tune, the process on 9:00.. too much can be harsh.
                    that seems to be the perfect setting for me. plenty of punch and clearity without coloring the sound. the same settings apply while using headphones.
                    my best advice to anyone if you havent already is to check out vexpressions ltd. those guys really know how to edit great sounding kits! night and day from factory edits.

Comment

finaly after a couple weeks i got to try the above snare sounds live through a good pa and was quite dissapointed as it have a terrible hotspot and sounded too compressed. it sure makes a sizable difference from headphones to pa.
                      what i did was simply change the compression from limiter to expand and made a huge difference. very nice snare sound without the hotspot.
                      i now know what others have complained about the hotspot issue spoken about in other threads. it has everything to do with the compression setting period. sorry for the missleading on the above post. go easy on me

Comment

Working...
                      X