Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JBL EON 15 HF Driver Replacement/Repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drbeat
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

DrBeat... I'm assuming Sound Technology are the UK distributor for JBL...?
    Yes they are indeed!

Leave a comment:

• MisterMR
    replied
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

DrBeat... I'm assuming Sound Technology are the UK distributor for JBL...? Thanks for the reference.

After some extensive 'Googullin', I found a few places that do replacement 'copy' diaphragms for reasonable money. Almost cheap enough to keep a couple of spares. If you're in the UK or EU, give this little outfit a shout (http://www.speaker-repairs.co.uk/). At time of writing, they were currently out of stock, but they did give me a tentative Jan '09 restock date though... so not too long to wait.

Just so you old EON 15 owners know... although it's the same story for the G2 versions as they use a similiar HF driver... except you guys and gals should really just get JBL to replace them under warranty...

The HF driver unit itself is actually quite a well built and tough-looking unit... but the diaphragms in them... suggest manufacturing tolerances need to be real strict. People hear the word 'titanium' and think their tweeters can stop bullets... but in this application, that titanium is paper-thin. They look like they balance on a thin line of being pretty durable... or quite fragile, depending on whether you got a factory 'Conscientious Build Bonus' model or a 'Friday Afternoon Special'.

However, the diaphragms are simple to replace ('cleaning' the old crap out of the driver unit's resonance ring and 'being careful inserting the replacement' being the main instructions). Replacements can be had for around £35, rather than JBL's genuine spare parts price of around £90 (yikes!)... and is certainly a lot better than replacing the whole driver unit for around £180!! (ouch!). Easier, of course... but unneccessary, unless you've really blown them up. And I mean using 'detonators and C4'... rather than just turning up the volume...

Does make me wonder how much all those old EON warranty repairs really cost JBL...

Anyway...

The other thing you might want to consider while you're swapping out dead diaphragms, is replacing the Ferro Fluid, which (supposedly) helps keep the diaphragm cool during heavy operation. However, you gotta ask yourself whether it's worth it or not... seeing as these tweeters fry regardless. Hey, I'm no expert, but I can't see it being that critical to normal performance.

Still... if you've got some Ferro Fluid lying around... and a magnet... you can make it do pretty patterns in a petri dish...
    Last edited by MisterMR; 12-22-08, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gingerbaker
    replied
    I used to use the same monitor for e-drums, and also fried the tweeter in under a year. Very small diaphragm, you know.

I switched to a powered sub plus a Peavey KB 100 amp which has a tweeter with a huge diaphragm, (It looks like it is 2" to 3" across) and no problems for many years now. Much better definition to the cymbals, too.

Not nearly as elegant a solution as the JBL, but there it is. Good luck with yours - I still have mine and will use it for the bottom end, but I treat it tenderly now.

JBL has a very long warranty period - I think it is five years ( in the USA) for drivers, and the warranty applies to subsequent owners ( in the USA) , so perhaps you may have luck and joy.

Leave a comment:

• drbeat
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
    Opened that up and the diaphragm looks like it was once on fire and then put out with lighter fluid...!
    LOL!!!!!

Try and replace like for like when it comes to drivers as you'll only waste time replacing it again later on down the line.

This may help:

United Kingdom
    SOUND TECHNOLOGY PLC
    Letchworth Point
    Letchworth Garden City
    Hertfordshire
    SG6 1ND
    England

T: +44.(0)1462.480 000 (switchboard)
    F: +44.(0)1462 480 800
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Web: www.soundtech.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• MisterMR
    replied
    Originally posted by sox View Post
    The best place to start will probably be http://www.studiospares.com/
    Good suggestion, Sox... I usually always start there! But they're not able to help.

Leave a comment:

• sox
    replied
    Anyone know where in the UK I can get a cheap replacement diaphragm or whole driver unit
    The best place to start will probably be http://www.studiospares.com/

Leave a comment:

• MisterMR
    replied
    Well... yeah, I'll have to eventually... if nothing shows up here first.

Oh... and did I did say 'cheap'!!?

Most of the Google searches I did came up with lots of places in the US... not many in the UK. Genuine JBL 2418H diaphragm replacements are around $90... but I'm sure I've seen copy replacements for half that. Just need somewhere in the UK that supplies them...

Leave a comment:

• Rewind
    replied
    Talk to JBL support?

Leave a comment:

• MisterMR
    started a topic JBL EON 15 HF Driver Replacement/Repair?

JBL EON 15 HF Driver Replacement/Repair?

Just picked up a pair of used JBL EON 15 active monitors (G1 versions) for peanuts due to one of them having a fried HF driver.

I've taken it apart, inspected the driver unit... all seems fine. Opened that up and the diaphragm looks like it was once on fire and then put out with lighter fluid...!

Anyone know where in the UK I can get a cheap replacement diaphragm or whole driver unit (doesn't have to be a genuine JBL spare as I'm assuming there are some copy parts available)...???

Thanks!
Working...
X