This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
    Wow, I have to think about this. I remember that both the EON and QSC have a mic/line switch and when switched it mic, the speakers were very loud but with a lot of distortion. Is this the same on a mixer where inputs 1 and 2 are mic inputs and inputs 3 and 4 are line inputs?
    Also since I only use one speaker, I was thinking to just use the number 3 L/Mono input. Would that be incorrect?
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for the help.
    If I recall correctly, I never used inputs 3 and 4 on the MG mixer and used only 1 and 2 - they are combo inputs that accept both XLR and 1/4" cables. I did not have to make any other adjustments aside from Gain and channel Level for 1 and 2. If you want to be on the safe side you can pair up the mixer with DI box like Intruder said.

For the speakers, again in my experience, it doesn't matter which cable (XLR or 1/4") you use to it but always select Line on the switch if you're plugging into a combo input.

Comment

Wow, I have to think about this. I remember that both the EON and QSC have a mic/line switch and when switched it mic, the speakers were very loud but with a lot of distortion. Is this the same on a mixer where inputs 1 and 2 are mic inputs and inputs 3 and 4 are line inputs?
      Also since I only use one speaker, I was thinking to just use the number 3 L/Mono input. Would that be incorrect?
      Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for the help.

My my first kit was a TD-9 SX that I traded to my teacher in exchange for lessons. Then I upgraded to the TD-30KV and that's when I noticed the lack of volume. I remember VEXing the TD-9 and there was a noticeable increase in volume and dynamics. When I VEXed the TD-30, while there was improvement it was not to the extent I saw on the TD-9.

I too am trying to control GAS since I am jamming more with my acoustic kit these days and I'm also retired so I don't have the income that I had for many years. That said, I don't play golf, have a Harley or a Corvette so drums are my pastime.

The Mimic Pro looks tempting. I better take some TUMS.
      LOL, Gasex or Beano might do better but is more expensive!

Taken from Sweetwater knowledge base:
      In the audio world, there are 4 signal levels that we deal with: mic, instrument, line and speaker.

Mic level is the lowest, or weakest, level signal of the four and requires a preamplifier to bring it up to Line level.

Instrument level signals live between mic and line level signals and have the most variation. You typically see this kind of signal come from an electric guitar or bass. A preamplifier is required to bring the signal up to line level.

Line level signals are the highest level signals before amplification. This is the type of signal that typically flows through your recording system after the preamplifier stage and before the amplifier that powers your speakers. There are two types: Consumer and Professional.
      • Consumer line level is rated around -10dBV and is what you’ll find in products like a CD player.
      • Professional line level is rated around +4 dBu and can be found in equipment like mixing desks, preamplifiers, and signal processing equipment.

Note: Be careful not to send a line level signal to a preamplifier expecting a mic or instrument level signal.

Speaker level signals are post amplification. After a line level signal enters an amplifier, it exists to the speakers at speaker level. These signals are much higher in voltage than line level and require speaker cables for safe signal transfer.

Note:You should never plug a speaker level signal into a source expecting anything less than a speaker level signal.

From my limited experience I always had better luck using the balanced inputs on the mixer (using the DIBox). This is probably due to the levels on the instruments each being different and maybe not standard line or mic levels. The DIBox creates the standard by impedance not just simple gain. Again from Sweetwater K Base: Passive DIs

Like the original models, such as Ed Wolfrum’s Wolfbox, modern passive DI boxes typically use a form of balun transformer to convert high-impedance signal to low-impedance signal. This style of transformer features electrically separate windings in the input and output stages, which isolate ground-level voltages and eliminate ground loops. The result is that signal is both impedance matched for a standard mic pre and free from ground hum originating at the input stage. Passive DIs are ideal for instruments with strong outputs, and both their low cost and durability make them the most popular kind of direct box.

For me, simply spending a few extra $ (in your case $20 - $40 incl cables) made all the difference in volume and clarity. I would get the mixer, 1 DIBox also a short xlr cable (to go from DI to mixer), A long xlr cable (to go from mixer to speaker) and plug the TD-30 into input 1.

Then here comes the GAS! Plug a mic into input 2 for sing along and your phone or some other stereo source for drumless tracks or lessons into inputs 3 & 4.
      Hmmm, you still have 2 open inputs to fill. What to do?

Maybe, a part-time retirement job will help? Can you say "welcome to walmart" with a smile? LMAO
      Nothing is simple or cheap anymore right?
      Good luck sir.
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

• Just go into channels 3 and 4. They say they are unbalanced right on the mixer. I have done this many times and not needed a DI. You can always buy the DI later if you have a problem. I use the DI to convert unbalanced to balanced for longer runs or mixers that are xlr only like my QSC touchmix.
        You could also go into channels 1 and 2 with the input gain down and possibly the pad in.

Comment

• Thanks again to all. I appreciate the help.
          Does it make a difference if I use 1/4" cables instead of XLR cables?
          I think I need something stronger than TUMS.
          Last edited by jimorlando; 09-06-17, 12:25 PM.
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Thanks again to all. I appreciate the help.
            Does it make a difference if I use 1/4" cables instead of XLR cables?
            I think I need something stronger than TUMS.
            Do you mean from the module to mixer? I would use 1/4 " if you do not have a direct box. Quarter inch might be OK to the speaker depending on what the inputs are and how long the run is. If you are playing in a lot different rooms you may want everything to be balanced.

Comment

• Peter,
              Thanks. My EON 615 is never more than 5 feet from my kit. We are typically jamming in a garage or living room and I set the speaker to my left, slightly behind the module so I can hear it as well as the rest of the band hearing it. Sounds like I can use the 1/4 inch cables. I'm using a 1/4 inch unbalanced cable from the left/mono output on the TD-30 to one input on the EON 615.
              Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

• Guys, is anybody using a pair of Electro-Voice (EV) ZLX-12P powered full-range speakers with e-kit for practicing or stage monitoring? With or without sub? What is your experience? I'd like to hear your feedback specifically about these speakers. Thanks!
                (The search in here showed two references to these speakers, here and here. Was hoping to learn more, from actual users.)
                Last edited by RandyD; 09-12-17, 09:02 PM.
                My e-kit, photos and details

Comment

• Hi!

I have a pair of ZLX-12P since about 2 years. (besides a big bunch of Mackie SRM-450 units). In genereal I think you get much speaker based on the price and the performance. A lot of class D watts. The feeling I have is that the speakers high (diskant) element is a bit "sharp" and edgy compared to my Mackies. The bass element works and sounds ok. There is some oumph here...but to really be able to move your butt...you need to add a EV Sub. There is also a lot of functionality to digitally configure the speakers and to round off of the sharpe diskant curve. They have aalso a nice weight.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
                  Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland , CY-14, 15R, 12CR, RT-10S&K, 2xBT-1, VH-11,-12,-13, KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera 2x D14, D11, LectricMoo, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2Box 1.3.0.3, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH Conv Kit. www.zourman.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RandyD View Post
                    Guys, is anybody using a pair of Electro-Voice (EV) ZLX-12P powered full-range speakers with e-kit for practicing or stage monitoring? With or without sub? What is your experience? I'd like to hear your feedback specifically about these speakers. Thanks!
                    (The search in here showed two references to these speakers, here and here. Was hoping to learn more, from actual users.)
                    I have the ZLX 15Ps with the 18P subs...they are insanely great sounding and well built. I heard the 12Ps at NAMM and they were amazing. I went with 15Ps because they are my PA and I play larger places and outside and needed more push than the 12's.The 12's DEFINITLEY sound better with subs. But for edrum monitoring they're perfect. And with this series you get a lot of bang for your buck from EV.

K
                    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

• Originally posted by angr77 View Post
                      Hi!

I have a pair of ZLX-12P since about 2 years. (besides a big bunch of Mackie SRM-450 units). In genereal I think you get much speaker based on the price and the performance. A lot of class D watts. The feeling I have is that the speakers high (diskant) element is a bit "sharp" and edgy compared to my Mackies. The bass element works and sounds ok. There is some oumph here...but to really be able to move your butt...you need to add a EV Sub. There is also a lot of functionality to digitally configure the speakers and to round off of the sharpe diskant curve. They have aalso a nice weight.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Originally posted by Kenster View Post

I have the ZLX 15Ps with the 18P subs...they are insanely great sounding and well built. I heard the 12Ps at NAMM and they were amazing. I went with 15Ps because they are my PA and I play larger places and outside and needed more push than the 12's.The 12's DEFINITLEY sound better with subs. But for edrum monitoring they're perfect. And with this series you get a lot of bang for your buck from EV.

K
                      Thanks, guys, I appreciate your feedback! I'm thinking to use a pair of ZLX-12Ps along with 12 inch 500W powered sub that I already have, only for indoor rehearsing. According to my sub's spec, it can go a bit lower than those 12 inch ZLXs so it could compensate the missing lows...
                      My e-kit, photos and details

Comment

Working...
                      X