Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On-stage Amplification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-stage Amplification?

I know, I know... "USE THE SEACRH!" Well I have, even following guidelines from other members on this very subject, and wasn't able to find much. If a thread already exists on this, please point me to it.

I have a TD-3KW. I always just intended for it to be a "personal" set, so I wasn't worried about live performances, but alas, I've been invited to audition for a small band, so I'm worried about live performance sound.

I've messed around with this a little - I've tried running the drums through a home stereo reciever and KLH Seventeen speakers, and it sounded awful. Next I tried a Crate GTD-120 guitar amp, and the result was basically the same.

I've read a bunch on here that many PA systems sound lousy for V-Drums. I've also read that you need a system that can handle down-lows (sub woofer) as well as the highs for the cymbals, and a little mids mixed for fun.

Anyways - I was wondering if the Simmons DA200S is a good option for smaller gigs - bars and the like. If not, what is a good option? None of the current offerings from Roland (that I can find) seem to be underpowered for the job.

Help???
    Roland TD-3KW plus CY-9
    5pc Tama Superstar EFX Hyperdrive, Sabian XS20 Cymbals

Originally posted by xl1200r View Post
    I know, I know... "USE THE SEACRH!" Well I have, even following guidelines from other members on this very subject, and wasn't able to find much. If a thread already exists on this, please point me to it.

I have a TD-3KW. I always just intended for it to be a "personal" set, so I wasn't worried about live performances, but alas, I've been invited to audition for a small band, so I'm worried about live performance sound.

I've messed around with this a little - I've tried running the drums through a home stereo reciever and KLH Seventeen speakers, and it sounded awful. Next I tried a Crate GTD-120 guitar amp, and the result was basically the same.

I've read a bunch on here that many PA systems sound lousy for V-Drums. I've also read that you need a system that can handle down-lows (sub woofer) as well as the highs for the cymbals, and a little mids mixed for fun.

Anyways - I was wondering if the Simmons DA200S is a good option for smaller gigs - bars and the like. If not, what is a good option? None of the current offerings from Roland (that I can find) seem to be underpowered for the job.

Help???
    Hmmm... what you have there (Simmons) would be more of a monitor or an external speaker for practice (bedroom). And even at that I'm not sure you are going to like the sound from it.

As for a gig (even a small bar or something) I reckon you would need something more along the lines of this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-EON1...76-i1152794.gc

One or even two of those depending on the size of the venue (yes even a small bar). Unfortunately, sound is not cheap and you do want to be asked back, yes? It may be worth a trip down to your local music shop to test and listen to some amps/PA's. You will definitely want to stay away from guitar amps. What means will your band mates be using to amplify their instruments?

Perhaps you go with an acoustic set in this situation?

Oh, and by the way.... good cables and even an EQ can go a long way.

Comment

I agree, there is no getting away from it, a good live sound does not come cheap! I use a Roland PM30 as a stage monitor for my kit (with the sub woofer part between me and our bass man). I then run stereo lines out the the front of house PA which is an 8kw system with big 18 inch subs and decent mids/ tops which give a very good sound, note that we never ever have this at anywhere near full volume!

For a small venue, you might get away with just the PM30 - I use it for practising and it sounds OK to me!

Comment

Depending on the venue, you may not need anything at all. If they have a PA and a monitor or two for you, then you should be set. Of course, not all clubs/bars can offer that, so it might be worth looking into a decent PA system. This gives you the added benefit of amplification at home/practice, too. Or spend that 500-1000 bucks and get a basic acoustic set. If you're playing out, you may want the simplicity of a cable-less setup. Of course, you can always have a few pads or dingbats along for the ride in that situation, too.

Comment

Behringer K3000fx keyboard amp 15" cab and horn. I use one of these regular hoked up to a KCW1 subwoofer. Cheap and Cheerfull, if your on a tight budget.

Comment

Drum-Tec Diabolo 12" Snare
            Hart Professional Kicks, Snare, 10" Toms, Racks
            Roland TD-30 Module, V-Cymbals CY-5, CY-14s. CY-15s, VH-11
            Trick Detonator Bigfoot Pedals
            Ultimate Ears UE-7 Pro
            Yamaha BP-80s

Comment

i use a KB 4 for on stage monitor. works great.
              Ostrich Hat
              www.ostrichhat.com

Comment

Roland On Stage

I have a heavily customized TD-12 kit that I have used for certain shows. It's really all in the PA so just and make sure there are decent subs to cover the low end. I mainly use my kit for smaller room gigs as it is very easy to control volume and my band mates love it. I run a mono 1/4 line out of the module to a direct box and then on to the main board via XLR. It's always worked really well. Oh yeah, and I since I am an endorser of theirs, I use a FreedomBack wireless in-ear monitor system from HearBack Technologies. I prefer having in-ears but have used a decent wedge from time to time.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I decided that I would have to spend quite a bit of money to get good sound out of these things, and when it was all said and done, I'd still have a TD-3 and all the limitations that come with it.

Instead, I bought an acoustic kit for probably close the same money (I'm sure it was a little more, but not by much). I got a Tama Superstar HyperDrive kit and Sabian XS20 cymbals to start with.

I still haven't decided what to do with the V-Drums yet... A set just like mine just sold on Ebay for $685, which is tempting. But they are a ton of fun to play. I'll have to see how the practice pads work out on the acoustic set.
                  Roland TD-3KW plus CY-9

Comment

I say good call on the acoustic kit for band practice and gigging. But if you can, I'd hang onto the TD3 for home practice. Trust me, your family/roommates/neighbors will thank you for it. And like I mentioned before, you always have the TD3 if you need some other percussion sounds (cowbell, china without buying a cymbal, etc).

Comment

I absolutely agree that you should hang on the vDrums, if possible. You will find that practice pads on the acoustic is just not going to cut it for long practice sessions. And, of course, your family and/or neighbors will indeed appreciate you keeping the electric.

Good call on the acoustic set for gigging since you don't have decent stage amps.

Comment

Everybody:

Hang on for a couple of days. I'm compiling a massive post on all the amp/PA/monitor discussions that have gone on in here over the years. It'll contain a lot of general recommendations as well as a ton of brands and models that have been proven to work well for edrums.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                          Everybody:

Hang on for a couple of days. I'm compiling a massive post on all the amp/PA/monitor discussions that have gone on in here over the years. It'll contain a lot of general recommendations as well as a ton of brands and models that have been proven to work well for edrums.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                          Thank you for taking the time to do this.... I'm sure it will be highly valuable on here!

Comment

Yes indeed!!!. Our band is now looking for sound options for very small venues (family and friends parties) and we think that if everyone gets a decent monitor we could do pretty well in those situations. of course nothing good compare to a high power PA system like those they usually have in the bars. Anyway, thanks grog, I'll surely be looking into it before upgrading my monitor.

------------------------------------------------
                            Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

I actually just practiced again with the group and we tried some other amplification ideas. The 'band leader' (assuming we actually have one) has some older passive cabinets that we just fed through an old Peavy guitar amp with an output channel. It was a 15" speaker and really sounded pretty good - by far the bext I'd heard out of my kit in a speaker. He has a pair of 15" and a pair of 18", so I would say going with a powered cab is def the way to go with these things.

The kick drum was still a little overpowering at higher volumes, but I switched it to a different sound and it was problem free (we were using a really bassy sound before so the other could hear it out of the amp we used last time).

In other news, the Tama kit showed up unexepctedly yesterday and it looks great. Haven't gotten a chance to tun anything up yet, so I haven't played it.
                              Roland TD-3KW plus CY-9

Comment

Working...
                              X