Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever play a gig with their Father?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever play a gig with their Father?

I recently had a chance to play a Jazz Gig with my Father. He never touched a stick - brushes the entire time - and he kicked my ass from here to Sunday. But it does give you some idea of what I am going to look like at 80!

sigpic

I sure do see the (power jewel-less) resemblance - and I remember him playing in the movie "Witness".

Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

Nope, but hopefully my son will be able to say he did someday...

Comment

I think that is awesome. Your dad plays drums, thats cool!

My dad died at age 55 when I was only 18 years old. I always wished he could have seen me really play. I just started back then so all he heard was noise. ii

So how did it feel playing on A's again and what does your dad think of the V drums? I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Grey View Post
          I sure do see the (power jewel-less) resemblance - and I remember him playing in the movie "Witness".
          Yeah, it seems he's had a lot of acting roles!

Originally posted by paladin View Post
          So how did it feel playing on A's again and what does your dad think of the V drums? I am curious.
          I pop between acoustic and V-Drums all the time, so it is not such a big deal. And my dad loves the V-Drums, he will jam with us when he comes over for the holidays.
          sigpic

Comment

It's not performing *with* my dad per se, but it does involve drums, my dad, and me. Its a favorite memory of mine that goes back to my college days. I played in the marching band at the University of Illinois, and it was Dad's Weekend. In the half time show, we had a routine where all the member's dads came on to the field beside their kids. Ohio State was the visitor. It was a bright, sunny day, half the stands were orange, the other half red, my dad was standing beside me on the field of a packed stadium, he was just beaming.

Lyle
            and the jukebox plays..... !! (the Nails - Home of the Brave )

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S
            VExpressions Gigging Kits & Top 50 Drummers #1

A-set : 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in Burgundy Sparkle

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post
              what does your dad think of the V drums? I am curious.
              Nevermind the V-drums. I am curious to know what Santa thinks of all that space armor!

I would PAY GOOD MONEY to see Santa on stage, playing Vs in a suit of space armor.

Seriously, nice thread, Render. Very cool that you and your dad are able to share a love of percussion. Not every son is able to find that kind of common ground with their dad, so enjoy the heck out of it.
              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Not what you had asked about, but I have done some recording with my son and some of his friends. Mixture of satisfaction (sharing music with my son) and frustration (dealing with his friends complete lack of preparation), but treasured moments nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                  But it does give you some idea of what I am going to look like at 80!
                  Yeah, your beard is going to be a lot fuller, and with a slightly different colour.

I'm glad you can play with your dad!

Stijn
                  'lectric drumma
                  Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Hey, I love the pictures of your Dad playing. My Dad never gigged, but he did dabble. My Uncle was responsible for starting me out on the drums and he did jam with me a couple of times on guitar when I was learning the drums. Now I am the drummer in my nephews band and the keyboard/vocalist is my grand niece and the bassist is my grand nephew. Here is a picture of my Dad on the drums who passed away in April.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but that is a great picture. These are all treasured moments.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Micheal, that was a couple of years ago before the big Roland investment. Dad always had fun with music and showed me my first guitar chords and "runs" as he called them.

Comment

Working...
                        X