Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD20 Owner Scared Acoustic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD20 Owner Scared Acoustic!

Hi folks

I've got a TD20 and will be planning to finally take the plunge and join a band in the next couple of months but to be honest, I'm so scared of the whole "live set-up" thing that I've been considering getting an acoustic kit (I know, shame on me) to hide my lack of technical knowledge.

I simply don't have a CLUE where to start, is there a sticky somewhere that explains the real basics of running the TD20 console to a mixing desks and the various options etc?

I'm trying to read up on here and it obviously IS possible and I'm NOT stupid but I'm a bit lost and need some advice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Matt

Matt:

Don't make this harder than it has to be.

Tweak your kit. Then simply run a cable from the Master L and R to the snake or board.

I'm serious, that's where you start. Mostly what I've done thereafter is simply adjust levels on the module. Very little EQ, etc.

But then again, for all I know, I sound like crap.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Buy a used Alesis DM-5 and keep it as a backup, if you're main module tanks you've got a spare so to speak.
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel View Post
        Buy a used Alesis DM-5 and keep it as a backup, if you're main module tanks you've got a spare so to speak.

Why is it that every topic eventually comes back around to buying more gear

Good thread,
        I'm in the same boat as you. If it's a small gig where we do our own sound and use our own pa I'm more comfortable going with the E's.
        I'm always afraid the sound guy/venue won't have what's needed otherwise (something I haven't thought of). Grog made it sound so simple. I've read so many things on here that made me think there were a bunch of variables that may require my expertise to set the sound guy straight and get it all working. I have to imagine that a lot of sound guys haven't worked with them and need some sort of coddling or coaching.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
        Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

I would go with Grog's advice and add this; set up a pattern that hits every pad, so you get a representative sound from everything on the kit. Prior to the show, plug into the PA and run the pattern while you stand out in the audience area. Tweak the EQ at the board, since that is the simplest way. Most venues add enough reverb and ambience that it is best not to use these effects in the module, but let your ears be the judge.

Edit - you may need a couple of DI boxes. Powered ones seem to be the best choice, seeing as they add a clearer sound and provide for ground lift in case you get hum.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'll go and research what the figging heck a DI box is, along with an Alesis DM-5, I'll wiki what a snake is and then tell you what I think of the whole thing!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
              Most venues add enough reverb and ambience that it is best not to use these effects in the module, but let your ears be the judge.
              I, for one, would not go this route. If you don't use the 'verb in the module, then whatever amount of reverb the house PA "inflicts" on your set will be universal. I'll say it like this: There's no way I would want the same amount of effects on my kick, snare, toms and cymbals.

IMO, you should use the internal effects so you can vary the amount on a per-instrument basis. In this manner, you can achieve a great decay on the snare and toms --> WITHOUT the kick sounding like it's under water, in a tunnel. yuck.

If you affect the kit as a whole, the end result will be an undefined sound that could potentially be 'distant'.

I would tell the sound person, if there is one, "Run my channel(s) dry. I have onboard effects." Then say, "But, I welcome your input on how much effects I'm sending you. I can go more or less to better balance with the room sound."

You will have new soundtech friend.....
              Last edited by BarT; 09-25-08, 05:52 PM. Reason: Added "/" before final "quote"
              *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think...

Comment

Dang it! could someone please show me how to properly quote just one part of a post....?
                *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Comment

Originally posted by Soundofmind View Post
                  could someone please show me how to properly quote just one part of a post....?
                  Just click the "Quote" button, then delete the part(s) you don't want to quote. But, don't delete the brackets (i.e [ and ]) and anything inside.

See... I got rid of your "Dang it!" line and emoticons.
                  VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
                  ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
                  ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
                  Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
                    Just click the "Quote" button, then delete the part(s) you don't want to quote. But, don't delete the brackets (i.e [ and ]) and anything inside.

I thought that what I did. Thanks for clarifying!!! See!!! I got rid of your see!!

Comment

I thought that's what I did.
                      Your first attempt would have worked with a "/" before the last "QUOTE". Closing tags are always preceded by a "/".

(See "the end brackets must include a forward slash" at http://www.vdrums.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode.)

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                        Your first attempt would have worked
                        strange, my wife says that all the time...

Comment

strange, my wife says that all the time...
                          She insists on a proper ending when you rush to finish?

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                            She insists on a proper ending when you rush to finish?
                            That, and all the complex fills in the world are no substitute for a solid groove....

Comment

I, for one, would not go this route. If you don't use the 'verb in the module, then whatever amount of reverb the house PA "inflicts" on your set will be universal.
                              Perhaps I was unclear. Let me put it this way. The space you play in will likely carry its own ambience, making ambience and reverb coming from the module unnecessary and possibly unwanted. I would say start dry (no ambience or reverb) and add it only if you feel it is necessary. Just my opinion.

DI stands for Direct Injection. Its purpose is to provide as clean a signal as possible to the mixer, since oftentimes instrument cables have a long run with all kinds of opportunity to pick up spurious noise. They are not always necessary, but when they are, nothing else will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X