Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When/Why did this trend begin?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When/Why did this trend begin?

Ok, I've been seeing a lot of concert pictures here lately and it's made me wonder...
    Since when did Rock and Blues become synonymous with Hawaiian shirts?!?!

I don't recall The Beatles, Stones, BB King etc. etc. rocking the Buffett shirts

Maybe Elvis in a movie but that's about it

Easy Cheapo gig set:
    Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

funny.... I started wearing those shorts just a while ago. Not sure why, I play in a country band... I think I should wear country shirts!
    But for some reason... I have picked out a few Hawiian shirts. I think it looks pretty cool too at least during the summer! I think I am wearing one in my little picture.
    Come fall... back to the western look!
    Ralph
    As the Wise Ole' drummer says... !:cool:

Comment

typo.... 'shorts" should be "shirts" LOL
      As the Wise Ole' drummer says... !:cool:

Comment

Maybe it's like Zebra's in the wild...there's so much going on that it just overwhelms and confuses the audience and saves people from predators

Easy Cheapo gig set:
        Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

The King! Nuff said.
          sigpic

Comment

But that's a movie about Hawaii.
            Let's hope we all don't emulate elvis on style or we'll all be playing festivals in sequined jumpsuits.
            Hmmmm....I'd love a sequined jumpsuit.

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron
              ...Since when did Rock and Blues become synonymous with Hawaiian shirts?!?!

I don't recall The Beatles, Stones, BB King etc. etc. rocking the Buffett shirts ...

Garry rather recently:

Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render
                The King! Nuff said.
                I thought Springsteen was King, Clapton was God, and Hendrix was the Messiah.

But then Im only a burnt-out shell of a human-being. What do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render
                  The King! Nuff said.

On a related note, I'm surprised the eukalale didn't get more popular after this pose!

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron
                    On a related note, I'm surprised the eukalale didn't get more popular after this pose!
                    You don't watch enough YouTube!
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Stand up comedian Wayne Federman shreds some classic rock licks on the ukulele (w/ Marshall amplifier) in this vintage clip. http://www.WayneFederman.comFilm...
                    sigpic

Comment

I too have noticed this trend in the UK. There seems to be a relationship between the age of the musician, the girth of their waist and the loudness of the Hawaiian shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b
                        I thought Springsteen was King, Clapton was God, and Hendrix was the Messiah.
                        Surely Springsteen is the Boss, isnt he?
                        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

I think you're right, spanner. It's probably age related. When you're young you can run and jump all over the stage with attitude. When you're older you need a shirt to say, "look at me I'm wild and crazy!"

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Not only that, but

drummers setting up their drum sets, so that everything is lower than your chest. What up with that? Looks like a little toy drum set. Ugh!!

I agree. Loose the Hawaiian shirts! (especially if you're indoors). I prefer a sleeveless, Rock & Roll or 'CASH' t-shirt so I can show off my 20" guns.

Okay. I confess. If it's a wedding reception, I'll wear long sleeve black dress shirt with banded collar. But I still bring the Rock & Roll attitude.

- - - The Biff-ster

Comment

I have to admit I'm guilty of lowering the set a little. I like actually seeing my band mates and the crowd. However, I can't get used to the two floor toms far to the right and behind me like so many people do now (so they can have small, lower toms in front or no toms in front. It's just uncomfortable to me.

I need to work on the guns before I can go sleeveless

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎