Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live on stage, misfired trigger!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live on stage, misfired trigger!?!

Had this happen a couple of times to me during my gig, maybe it was partially my fault, but thought i'd toss this thread out there and see if anyone else has run into it and what tips/tricks might be out there to help prevent it.. So the sets playing along nicely and here comes that drum only part when suddenly the snare (pdx8 in this case) decides its not going to trigger. Just once or twice mind you. The mesh head is tight, just like it says in the little manual. I've had this happen during practice sessions as well. No pun intended but it seems to be 'hit or miss' 99% of the time its fine,and yes i'll take 1/2% blame and say .5% is bad sticking on my part, but there have been times where i was looking at it and saw how my stick hit and it was a good stroke, plenty hard , in the middle, etc and no rim but no sound. So there it is.. Anyone have this happen? It happened when i used to use a pd7 as snare as well but i assumed that was due to the small pad..
    Thanks,
    Frank

Lately I have been triggering my acoustic at progressively bigger/louder venues. Last night was the loudest we have been, playing to about 800-1000 people - it was lovely and loud Anyhoo, sometimes, on certain stages, the whole thing vibrates and acts as a giant bass bin - not so good for triggers! Thats said its been manageable without compromising technique. Just being quick at dialling in any adjustments on the module during sound-check fixes it up ok. Though you are on mesh heads is it really that different? Given your technique is all sorted as you say, perhaps your threshold is too low allowing ambient sound to vibrate the floor/ stands? Hard to say really... keep listening and keep tweaking
    Cheers
    Paul

Comment

There seems to be a cymbal on our church's TD20 that just doesn't sound sometimes. I'm not sure if it's bad technique (don't really think so), crosstalk too sensitive, or just what...
      Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Originally posted by pchanning View Post
        Lately I have been triggering my acoustic at progressively bigger/louder venues. Last night was the loudest we have been, playing to about 800-1000 people - it was lovely and loud Anyhoo, sometimes, on certain stages, the whole thing vibrates and acts as a giant bass bin - not so good for triggers! Thats said its been manageable without compromising technique. Just being quick at dialling in any adjustments on the module during sound-check fixes it up ok. Though you are on mesh heads is it really that different? Given your technique is all sorted as you say, perhaps your threshold is too low allowing ambient sound to vibrate the floor/ stands? Hard to say really... keep listening and keep tweaking
        I will have to tweak the settings, the bumber is i like the sensativity where i have it set, maybe i just need to upgrade the module, after all its only a td5..

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
          There seems to be a cymbal on our church's TD20 that just doesn't sound sometimes. I'm not sure if it's bad technique (don't really think so), crosstalk too sensitive, or just what...
          Boy do i know how that goes; my cy8 fails to sound probably one in six times. I have to say i'm not loving it.. Also, i have to play it backwards, that is; most people keep the choak side facing down towards them, if i do that i could hit it with a baseball bat and i'd be lucky to get it to sound. Maybe thats another one needing tweaking, i'll mess with them tonight and see how practice goes..

-Frank

Comment

There's been times I have the same problem, and I could swear I hit the head. However, after trying to duplicate the problem a few times I realized I hit the rim just enough that it took most of the stroke. And the rim either wasn't set to produce a click or rim shot, or it was the type of pad that doesn't have that capability.

I'm not familiar with the kit you have, so I don't know about the rim triggering. I used to have a KD7 that occasionally wouldn't trigger, but I'm pretty sure it was a sensitivity issue (I thought I kicked it hard enough but I didn't).

I'm not trying to say it's all in your head, but maybe it's all in your...um...hat!

Shalom
            Bruce

Comment

As dumb as it may sound, I would double check your lead is 100% connected right into the pad and check the module connection. I would also check that the jack input in the module is not loose from vibration.

I had an experience last new years eve when my kick drum sounded like crap at a sound check. I discovered that the jack wasnt connected properly so I just pushed it in although this caused the sound to change and I got a really thin distant sounding kick drum. I then switched off the module and rebooted it and everything was fine

Sometimes the simplest things can be the cause of these issues and we naturally look for something more technical.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by froe234 View Post
                Boy do i know how that goes; my cy8 fails to sound probably one in six times.

-Frank
                Frank I had that same problem. It was the crosstalk that was set to high. It seems like anything over 35 (crosstalk) is when the mis-triggering starts.

Vinny
                Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Had a similar case with my KD-8 and lowering the X-Talk did the trick.
                  Unified Past
                  http://www.unifiedpast.com/unified_past/Home_Page.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vdrummer17

Comment

Originally posted by vctr View Post
                    Had a similar case with my KD-8 and lowering the X-Talk did the trick.
                    Thanks will give that a shot!

Comment

Working...
                    X