Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cables...which ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cables...which ones?

I'm looking to buy a decent set of cables to run my TD-12 to our band's PA system. From the suggestions in other forums...I plan on using all four outputs (kick-direct1, snare-direct2...etc.) My question is...will i get better sound quality from full range stereo cables, or would it be better to use cables specific to each drum? For example...should I buy a cable designed to handle low frequencies for my bass drum, a cable designed for higher frequencies for my snare and cymbals, and a full range cable for my toms? And also which brand should I buy?
    Last edited by XbambamX; 07-01-08, 11:19 AM.
    Where am I?

Boy, you have become a sucker for hype.
    First, how long a run to the PA? A longer run means you should get a DI or 4 and run them LowZ using XLR cables. I use two 4 DI Whirlwind rack mount units for this.

If the PA is close, just get some decent instrument cables. No need to get specialized ones. Remember the TD-12 is unbalanced, so no need to get TRS cables.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks man. No special cables for me. Don't think I've seen any "cable hype" on here though. Just tryin' to learn.
      Where am I?

Comment

Balanced cables will help you avoid radio interference on the longer runs just with the extra shielding they have - they're about the same price so I recommend balanced over unbalanced any time.

Support Michael's advice on DI box and XLR for long runs....or even wireless if you have a deep pocket.

Comment

x2 to Michael and Hercules

Comment

Man, I would love 8 channels of dual-compander wireless!
            I would also love a light-pipe interface and stay completely in the digital domain.
            *sigh* Just dreaming.
            sigpic

Comment

So many good things and so little money to spend on them......

But remember the digital vocabulary doesn't include the letter "s"......have you noticed how your cymbals all say "tffff....tfffff" on digital recordings, but they still say "tssss.....tssss" when we go analog?

How's your shoulder Michael? Are you giving your feet a good workout whilst it recovers?

Comment

The run from the module to the mixer is about 15-20 ft. I just purchased 4 20ft Balanced Mogami 1/4" TRS to XLR cables. The guy at GC told me they're one of the best cables out there. I'll be giging with them tomorrow, so we'll see what happens...thanx for the input
                Last edited by XbambamX; 07-04-08, 06:58 PM.
                Where am I?

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                  ...But remember the digital vocabulary doesn't include the letter "s"......have you noticed how your cymbals all say "tffff....tfffff" on digital recordings, but they still say "tssss.....tssss" when we go analog?.......
                  Only at 44.1K and 48K.
                  96K / 24 bit is the way to go.
                  Unfortunately, one of the limitations of the Roland modules is that the samples are all 44.1K/16 bit which is one of the reasons I am building a Superior 2.0 system to work with my kit.
                  Originally posted by XbambamX View Post
                  The run from the module to the mixer is about 15-20 ft. I just purchased 4 20ft Balanced Mogami 1/4" TRS to XLR cables. The guy at GC told me they're one of the best cables out there. I'll be giging with them tomorrow, so we'll see what happens...thanx for the input
                  Mogami are good. You should get plenty of reliable use out of them as long as nobody runs over them with an amp rack!!

Comment

Working...
                  X