Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-12 Direct outs vs. Stereo outs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-12 Direct outs vs. Stereo outs?

I just upgraded from a TD-9kx to a TD-12. When I practiced with my band using the 9 I would run mono into the PA. Now with the 12 I have the choice between direct outs or the good 'ol stereo outs. Whats the difference between the two? And which one do you guys prefer?
    Where am I?

If you have four spare channels on your PA, you could run your module a number of ways. For stereo, you could assign the kick to D out 1, the snare to D out 2, sent to their own mono channels on the desk and the rest (toms and cymbals) panned in stereo from the TD12 main outs into two channels panned L & R on the desk.

Another option for mono PA would be to assign kick to D1, Snare to D2, toms to left main and cymbals to right main and send them to four channels panned center on the desk.

Comment

So your saying to send my kick and snare mono to the sound board thru the direct outs then send my toms panned one side and my cymbals panned to the other side and do all the tweaking thru the board?
      Where am I?

Comment

That's just one option. You could also just plug your TD12 into the PA using one cable connected to the Left / mono output of your TD12 and tweak the sounds using the module's faders. That would be easier for you if your PA has no operator while you are playing (which is more than likely at rehearsals).

Technically, all the outputs on the TD12 are the same level and quality but only the main outs (not the direct outs) are controlled with the volume knob on the module.

Comment

I have rehearsal in a few hours...I'll take your advice with me and give it a go...Thanx superpuss
          Where am I?

Comment

You're welcome.
            Let us know how you get on and what you try out.

Comment

Working...
            X