Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eDrums got me this gig!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eDrums got me this gig!

Hi folks, have been reading for a few days and finally joined up. Really interesting threads going here- thanks for all the info and sharing; very much appreciate learning!! One of the theme's i've seen (and run into myself) was the 'ewww he plays electronic drums' ... I have to be honest, i'd hung up my set for a while back three years ago; just busy, kids, work, life. Anyway my neighborhood hired a band for a party we were throwing and I actually sit on the board of the HOA; anyway met them at a local bar by chance, introduced myself and we got to talking... They were playing unplugged and they explained their a-drumer was too loud, i mentioned my very humble roland td-5 and they wanted me over the next day to 'try out'. The timing was perfect as I was really wanting to get something going again; anyway my first gig with them is this saturday, 6/28, four hours .. Phew! I realize the td-5 is not the best road kit; but it works, and its paid for; so for now it will make due. I've got my eye on a td20 and still learning and deciding on the pads and mounts i'd want to use in building it out as a custom kit. Will let you all know how the gig goes! Take care and a big 'Howdy' from Florida

Congrats!

Are you sure it was the e-kit? Maybe it was the hat?!?! Is that crushed purple velvet?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_ View Post
      Congrats!

Are you sure it was the e-kit? Maybe it was the hat?!?! Is that crushed purple velvet?
      Oh if it were only my hat, i'd wear it to the gig lol! Thanks!

Comment

All right! Welcome to the forum, and a big how-do-you-do to you too!

The hat looks like a Huggy Bear special! Maybe you DID get the gig because of the hat.

And, of course, we need to send a big 'neener neener neener' out to the guys with the A kits. It's starting to look like the E's are getting the upper hand for a lot of gigs. Hah hah hah! Next, the world!

Shalom
        Bruce

Comment

A big feline welcome aboard from the Puss, Froe.
          Good luck with the gig. Let us all know how it goes

Comment

In reply to your question about the PDX8 vs PD105, they are chalk and cheese as far as I'm concerned. The PD105 is far better in response and, on the TD12 and TD20, has full positional detection which the PDX8 doesn't.
            I have mine mounted on my cage rather than on a snare stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
              All right! Welcome to the forum, and a big how-do-you-do to you too!

The hat looks like a Huggy Bear special! Maybe you DID get the gig because of the hat.

And, of course, we need to send a big 'neener neener neener' out to the guys with the A kits. It's starting to look like the E's are getting the upper hand for a lot of gigs. Hah hah hah! Next, the world!

Shalom
              Bruce
              You got that right!! Huggy Bear all the way!! I'm seriously considering borrowing the hat again and at the very least hanging it on the kit somewhere! Thanks for kind welcoming! E-Power
              -Frank

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                In reply to your question about the PDX8 vs PD105, they are chalk and cheese as far as I'm concerned. The PD105 is far better in response and, on the TD12 and TD20, has full positional detection which the PDX8 doesn't.
                I have mine mounted on my cage rather than on a snare stand.
                Thanks for the info; clearly i need to upgrade my td-5, as i'm missing out on, well nearly everything lol; but thats step 1, step two is getting the best-of-breed pads, and your advice is very helpful!
                Thanks again!
                -Frank

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                  A big feline welcome aboard from the Puss, Froe.
                  Good luck with the gig. Let us all know how it goes
                  I will do; and thank you !

Comment

It's nice to hear a story that indicates people other than drummers are beginning to see the advantages of the electronic kit. Far too often it's the other way around.

Have fun with the gigs and don't let anyone talk you out of that hat!

Comment

Froe, welcome aboard. How was the gig? Have any pics of your kit?
                      Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by PumaPhreak View Post
                        Froe, welcome aboard. How was the gig? Have any pics of your kit?
                        Thanks! The gig went great, the place was packed which is all you can ask for! I've only got a couple of pictures so far, not great ones, from my phone that my wife took, but if anyone got betters ones i'll post them. The phone is only a 2.1mp.

The kit sounded great, I only had one problem, the cable on Tom 1 went bad, but i had a spare. Other than that the kit performed perfectly.

This one was sound check for my stage monitors, you can see the kit fairly well; not much to look at, its only a TD-5, the only xtras are a PD7, a PDX8 (snare) and a CY8.

This one was during the first set.

Last edited by froe234; 07-01-08, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I think that hat would've been a perfect touch to an excellent set-up and gig. Keep up the good work.

Shalom
                          Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
                            I think that hat would've been a perfect touch to an excellent set-up and gig. Keep up the good work.

Shalom
                            Bruce
                            Thanks Bruce!!!

For all those who can't live without their own purple pimp hat, here is the place where you can pickup this or many other 'pimp or crunk varieties lol !!

http://www.pimpcostumes.com/costumes...le/168,118_293

Enjoy; I'm going to bring it to the next gig (on the 11th), I may not wear it but i'll put it on my kit for sure!

EDIT -- For some reason when i click the link from the thread it wont show the picture of the hat, but if you copy and paste the very same address into a new window it works..?? Strange.. Anyway Enjoy.

-Frank

Comment

Working...
                            X