Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody have experience using a TD-9 live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have experience using a TD-9 live?

I'm about to play my first gig with my TD-9kx this weekend. I practiced with it a couple times thru our PA and couldn't quite get the sound I was looking for. Should I run mono or stereo? What pan settings should I use? Do I need to have the eq flat and do all the tweaking thru the mixer? I've also been playing around with Addictive Drums and I'm quite happy with the quality of the samples. I'm wondering if I should take the time to tweak the sounds in the module or just run my laptop to the PA? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get all the info I can before the gig.
    Where am I?

I would definitely be interested in this as I have just joined a band and will be playing with my TD9 as well
    TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

I've used my TD-9 several times live. The one thing I can tell you is to turn your lower toms down. They are like thunder on a modest P.A."I'm using the birch toms"
      I'll usually do any EQ roll offs on my stage monitor "Behringer K3000FX". Now I could do that with the TD-9 however, everywhere you play, the acoustics will sound different. It's easier for me to make adjustments this way. Stereo or mono is really a preference thing, I like stereo myself. Panning again is preference. I pan mine just like a regular kit, I think it separates our sounds better and brings life into the overall sound.
      Just remember you have the power to literary smoke someones P.A.

Comment

Td-9 live

I have used the td-9 on 5 gigs. I would run it mono because the people on 1 side of the room may not hear all your instruments.

I use the maple toms,custom snare and the custom kick with the weight setting. You can tune the kick up or down to work with the subwoofer of the pa. I usually tune it slightly up because a higher pitch cuts through more and can use less power.

You may have to work with the 16" maple floor tom to make sure it doesn't blow the speakers. Try tuning it down.

Peter Warren
        www.makuru.net

Comment

Peter, have you done more gigs recently with the TD-9??

I have my first gig with mine on Tuesday, so am looking for all/any suggestions to make sure I don't have a bad sound from my high price investment!
          TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

TD-9 live

What type of room are you playing in? I approach it differently if there is a house PA,and it depends how live the room sounds. You want to turn down the ambience on the kick and hi hat,and possibly everything else.

I try to use both outputs even in mono because otherwise the whole kit is going through 1 channel of the mixer,and may overload.

I have thought about running the kick through 1 output,and the rest of the kit through the other. This allows the soundperson to control the kick and eq it if necessary.

I use kit # 1 but change the kick to the custom kick,and the crash cymbals to fast crashes. You might try adjusting the ambience on small or medium room sizes,wood,and then just go through the different types of rooms. The plaster setting on all the vex kits might be a bit bright for a PA.

I also use a qsc 122 and 15" sub as a monitor or full room sound. This is a bit heavy to carry but sounds amazing. On some very small outdoor gigs,I have found the pa to be very bad,so I just turn up my monitor for most of the sound. Vdrums sound so bad through a poor quality PA,that people wonder why you have them. I have seen some real disasters.

Good luck,and let us know how the gig goes!

Peter Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Peter W View Post
              What type of room are you playing in? I approach it differently if there is a house PA,and it depends how live the room sounds. You want to turn down the ambience on the kick and hi hat,and possibly everything else.

I try to use both outputs even in mono because otherwise the whole kit is going through 1 channel of the mixer,and may overload.

I have thought about running the kick through 1 output,and the rest of the kit through the other. This allows the soundperson to control the kick and eq it if necessary.

I use kit # 1 but change the kick to the custom kick,and the crash cymbals to fast crashes. You might try adjusting the ambience on small or medium room sizes,wood,and then just go through the different types of rooms. The plaster setting on all the vex kits might be a bit bright for a PA.

I also use a qsc 122 and 15" sub as a monitor or full room sound. This is a bit heavy to carry but sounds amazing. On some very small outdoor gigs,I have found the pa to be very bad,so I just turn up my monitor for most of the sound. Vdrums sound so bad through a poor quality PA,that people wonder why you have them. I have seen some real disasters.

Good luck,and let us know how the gig goes!

Peter Warren
              Peter! Thanks for that. That's a really really good bundle of information. That is going to really help me out here.

It's a moderately sized bar, with a stage to the right and a full PA with a sub. Not sure on what it is yet, going to do a reconnasiance mission today

I was going to tone down the ambiance because I am worried about way too much reverb (the room is quite echoy anyway from watching others play there). I was going to run stereo as apparently it supports it.

I didn't know I could tailor the input? That's a good tip. I will set a kit for that just incase.

I will let everyone know how it goes. I am nervous as hell. Haven't gigged for nearly 10 years (and that was a guitarist). Been playing drums for 12 weeks, this is going to be SCARY.

Comment

Turned down the ambiance to "locker" on the TD-9. Got to the gig, setup (using a stereo feed into the PA) and soundchecked. The TD-9 sounded amazing through the PA! I couldn't stop GRINNING

Anyone wondering it you can gig with a TD-9.. the answer is YES. My tapco thump just took a monitor feed

Comment

what kits did you use?? any vex or one from the module utself? (any tuning suggestions at all?

cheers

Comment

Module itself mate, I didn't change the tuning except the bass drum, just turned it up a few to cut through a little more

Comment

Working...
                    X