Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alto TS310/Yamaha DBR10 vs. DXR8 for monitoring and live band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alto TS310/Yamaha DBR10 vs. DXR8 for monitoring and live band

i play in a band that consists of multiple synth players and 2 electronic drummers, i’m pretty set on getting pa style speakers for monitoring, will probably eventually get at least three, a synth player could share a speaker with a drummer.

i can’t break the bank too much so i was looking at Yamaha DBR10 (a bit too pricey) and Alto TS210 or TS310 (better price point).

i was offered to purchase a pair of used Yamaha DXR8 for a good price which seems tempting, i mean from what i read the DXR line gets the praise, and people are pretty convinced they sound better than the lower end lines like DBR and Alto Truesonic.

But they’re also 8 inch speakers, which seems a bit small for the music we’re playing, synths and electronic drums require a full range of sounds, we tend to opt for warmer sounds, there’s a lot of bass synths as well, although those speakers are needed mostly for monitoring it’s still important to hear a full sound in order to create the right synth patches within the band.

in our rehearsal space we also have a yamaha 18 inch subwoofer which means the monitors won’t be needing to produce the really low bass but we don’t bring the sub live so it would only be the monitors, the venue usually has the subs close to the stage.

how much can you expect an 8 inch speaker to feel good for monitoring electronic drums and synth basses anyway ?

should i keep looking at 10” options like lower end DBRs or Alto TS3 ?
    or regardless of the DXR8 being small speakers, are they still a step up in sound fullness because the line is that much better ?

i was just about to get the Alto’s until i was offered the deal on the second hand DXRs.

what would you say would serve my needs better ?

Normally if you were offered a good price for the pair of DXR8's, I'd say; add a DXS12mkII to your shopping basket and go for it because that would be a really capable 2.1 system. However since you are chiefly concerned with full range sound in a monitor without subs you are probably going to miss the low-bass on an 8inch.

I've recommended the Strike Amp 12 before, which is a rebranded Alto TS312. One of those each should be perfect for your monitoring needs (and I've read they do make better monitoring speakers than music speakers) they are plenty loud and don't distort.

The matter of tweeter quality is more difficult to discern, it's often a matter of taste than volume. Alto is said to be very transparent, like QSC, but occasionally sibilant. Yamaha is said to be very mid-centric, slightly veiled but smooth. DXR range in particular is known for incredible bass thump but the Strike Amp with it's deeper bass voicing than the TS312 is no slouch either. DXR probably has the higher quality build. Also search for the amount of amp self-noise / hiss as that can be off-putting when loud.
    Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 03-23-21, 08:42 AM.
    ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ 2box DrumIt 5 MKII
    ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

so the deal fell through with the 8's...
      but I found another deal for two QSC K10's (the old ones).

are those regarded as better than my other options ?

Comment

Originally posted by soulgolem View Post
        so the deal fell through with the 8's...
        but I found another deal for two QSC K10's (the old ones).

are those regarded as better than my other options ?
        K10’s will sound more accurate like studio monitors than Yamaha and you can boost the low end if needed.I use them here with and without subs. The kick is the main thing that needs the sub.
        I also have a DXR 10 here too and it is a lot more mid range sounding than the K10.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

K10’s will sound more accurate like studio monitors than Yamaha and you can boost the low end if needed.I use them here with and without subs. The kick is the main thing that needs the sub.
          I also have a DXR 10 here too and it is a lot more mid range sounding than the K10.
          Thanks, that's good to know, I think for our music, mids shouldn't be the focus, although good mids may help synths cut through live because they lack some generally speaking, compared to guitar stuff at least.

Comment

I'm a drummer with a new-to-me Roland TD-15. After some research I went with the Alto TS310 for $249 USD. Can't beat that price. I'm getting it tomorrow and will see if (hope) it is enough for practice, rehearsals and the proper jam or small gig.

Comment

First impressions on the Alto-TS310:
              It looks well made, it's attractive, but most importantly, it's very light (I'm kinda old and my back is not what it used to be). The controls in the back makes it a little inconvenience to adjust but once you memorize where everything is and find your spot I think it'll be alright.

At first it sounded shrill; whatever I played (drums or program from iPod) thru the TD-15 sounded too bright and harsh in the highs and the bass was there but a little muddy (expected, I guess). Playing with the amp filter didn't help much and eq'ing the kit barely helped.
              I then ran the amp for a couple of hours to start a burn in. After that, it mellowed out the slightest, and working with both volume settings (amp and module) I got a better sound, but not crazy good. I'm trying to get the snare crack as best it can deliver.

After another two hours or play, it's still mellowing and I think it will continue to burn in and reduce the harshness. It's enough to satisfy during practice.

I bough the cheapest in-ears and using that and the amp improves my impression, as I can feel the bass (it can thump enough, I think) and get the definition of the snare.

I'll report more impressions as I keep playing, but I'm not afraid to take it to a jam next week. Just have to sort it out ( and myself on this new kit)

cheers

Comment

Thanks for the review on the Alto TS310. I'm researching for a powered speaker for my TD 27KV. I'll be following.

Comment

Working...
                X