Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-50 MIDI - SPD-SX and Nord Drum P3 - sync-ing kit changing on stage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-50 MIDI - SPD-SX and Nord Drum P3 - sync-ing kit changing on stage?

While searching for information on TD-50 kit changing and using MIDI with other devices live on stage I noticed a thread from last year on TD-50 kit changing (by accident in that case) where Electrodrummer intriguingly mentioned kit changing by MIDI.

That prompted me to post this query on syncing kit changes by MIDI from the TD-50 to other devices.

For some time I have had my TD-50 module connected via MIDI In and Out to an SPD-SX. Change kit on one device and the kit changes on the other.

As I step through my set list in the TD-50 I don't have to worry about switching kits to match on the SPD-SX.

There are 100 kits on each device and it is all very neat.

A recently added Nord Drum P3 has 50 kits per bank. Connecting the Nord Drum P3 via MIDI to the TD-50, as with the SPD-SX, kit changes work perfectly from 1 to 50. However, not surprisingly, the Nord Drum sticks at 50, or if I keep turning the knob on the Nord Drum to the next kit, which is in the next bank on the Nord Drum, it sends the TD-50 back to kit 001 rather than 051.

From monitoring the Nord Drum MIDI output I can see the MIDI sequence that changes banks. There appears to be no way to use this with the kit change MIDI output from the TD50.

I am guessing that I would have an easier life if I just kept my set list to be within the first 50 kits on the TD-50 - and just load in each band's saved kits/sets per gig (I play with several bands).

But there is that GAS nagging away at me that there might be a MIDI box or similar device that could solve this

If anyone has any thoughts, comments or suggestions on this little problem I would be most grateful, thanks.
    TD-50 module, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Just to mention that a couple of Nord Drum users on their support forum have pointed me in the right direction with this although I am beginning to think it might just be simpler sticking to 50 kits on the TD-50 and SPD-SX .

Very interesting and a lot of fun learning and working with MIDI though - playing the Nord Drum linked to the TD-50 and SPD-SX makes for some monster sound potential.
    TD-50 module, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

glad you got some helpful advice. i was very interested to see what solutions were offered here but had none to offer myself
      Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Thanks, I'll post some details if I ever manage to get everything to work.

Comment

Two things I've discovered about the Nord Drum P3, if it helps anyone else - it doesn't do MIDI Thru, so has to be at the end of a MIDI chain of modules - and you cannot save different MIDI Note values per pad per kit. i.e. if you set a Note value for a pad it is Global.

Comment

This looks like a better approach - take the MIDI kit changes outside of the TD-50 altogether. It means an iPad or iPhone on stage but I could live with that - less hassle than the MacBook Pro I used to lug around.

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlis...ding_MIDI.html

It seems a popular app - has anyone here used it for Vdrums?

Comment

Just to mention on spending some time with this App I think it’s big brother http://www.bandhelper.com is probably better value and has a 30 day trial.

Comment

Originally posted by willsud View Post
                Just to mention on spending some time with this App I think it’s big brother http://www.bandhelper.com is probably better value and has a 30 day trial.
                I've been using bandhelper for some years now, and before it was the setlistmaker. Very usefull apps, but I've never tried midi control. Have you managed to make it work with your setup? I have tried to sync the metronome and make the app control the drum module's tempo over USB-midi, but couldn't make it work.
                •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
                •SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
                •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Thanks for the reply Milos. Yes, it is MIDI control of the tempo in the TD-50 I would like to be able to do live. I can make SetlistMaker send MIDI and changing kits is easy but tempo isn't obvious how to set. I have made the TD-50 clock external and I can see that the TD-50 display shows an asterisked tempo on the Kit Name display. When connected to a sequencer this seems to correspond to the sequencer tempo and works fine with the simple Nord Drum Beats sequencer but I haven't worked out if it can be set from such as SetlistMaker.

The MIDI entry in SetlistMaker is partly a form, partly a raw data list, per device and you can have multiple devices. I need to check what is actually being output when I fill in the entries in SetlistMaker by monitoring it.

Very interesting though and educational

Comment

I came across an intriguing blog post by a Jon Skeet yesterday - but currently it cannot be reached for some reason. Mr Skeet seems to be a programmer who writes books on programming and might even work for Google - but he also says he is obsessed with writing a Vdrums explorer application. I'll put the URL here and try again later. I was reading it yesterday so hopefully it will all be available shortly. He makes reference to MIDI in his blog which is how I found it:
                    https://codeblog.jonskeet.uk/2020/02...it-addressing/

Comment

The link to Jon Skeet's post in the previous message now works. The comments below his blog post are interesting, in particular where there is discussion of setting the click tempo by MIDI. They are talking about the TD17 and TD27 but the latter appears to be very similar to the TD-50 and it sounds as though it is not possible to set the click tempo via MIDI, but they don't know why. In the TD-50 I thought when you set the Kit Tempo that became the click tempo while using that kit.

Jon's latest post is also very interesting - I can see this will be an informative read for a while
                      https://codeblog.jonskeet.uk/2020/03...otes-for-mvvm/
                      Last edited by willsud; 06-20-20, 04:08 AM.

Comment

As the first post lockdown gig that came up last Saturday was a tight for space affair in a pub beer garden I decided to use the Nord Drum 3 triggering the TD-50 by MIDI and also mixing in the Nord Drum 3 sounds occasionally via the Mix-In on the TD-50. It all then went through an old LA Audio MX10 signal processor for a bit of compression and some light EQ then to my monitor and the FOH desk etc.

The audience were very taken with this tiny setup and it worked extremely well. What really surprised me was the quality of the sound from the Nord Drum - it sounded 'luscious' compared to a fairly decent sound out of the TD-50. One of the kits downloadable from Nord donated by one of their endorsees - Albin Westerlind I think - has monstrous tom sounds as well as some nice electro snares and kicks.

Given that the Nord Drum 3 is a creative instrument with an element of spontanaiety - or serendipity - I've given up trying to sync all the kits between the two modules for now.

Comment

Working...
                        X