Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-25 + Mackie Thump 15A + Allem&Heath 10FX

Hi Guys,

So far I was playing a DIY set with a TD-25 module at home and listening exclusively on the headphones. All nice and good for the past 5-6 years

Then, I said I would like to hear my drums on a speaker. So I bought the Mackie Thump 15A and borrowed an Allen&Heath 10FX mixer from a friend. Not so good anymore. The sound on the speaker is far far away from the one I am used to on headphones.

I kind of expected this, so now I am looking to suggestion on how I can improve it... I already have the Classics and Icons TD-25 VEX expansion kits, those helps. Then I also pan kick on left and all other on right, to be able to mix them separately. Any other ideas? Suggestion on how to mix or what else I can do to improve the overall sound?

I know Mackie Thumps are not the best speakers, but that was the budget and I really wanted a 15 inch speaker.

Thanks a lot. Here are some pics.

gretsch.jpg

mixer.jpg
    Roland TD-25KV, Drum-tec 14" pro Snare Sapeli, 2xPDX-100, 1xPD-125BK, 1xCY-14C, 1xCY-13R, 1xCY15R, Tama Iron Cobra HP600D Pedal, Tama HH905N Hi-Hat Iron Cobra Lever

For sale AD2 with 4 ADpacks: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/mark...-drums-2-with-4-adpacks

heh, I guess the answer is: buy a better module!!
    Roland TD-25KV, Drum-tec 14" pro Snare Sapeli, 2xPDX-100, 1xPD-125BK, 1xCY-14C, 1xCY-13R, 1xCY15R, Tama Iron Cobra HP600D Pedal, Tama HH905N Hi-Hat Iron Cobra Lever

For sale AD2 with 4 ADpacks: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/mark...-drums-2-with-4-adpacks

Comment

Or use VST with computer, be sure to treat the room your are drumming in, untreated it is mostly a mess.....flutter echo.....get a sofa, absorbing materials....book shelves, not that easy, the room plays a very big part. Quite cool controling high frequencies and mobile are things like this, https://www.bax-shop.de/clearsonic-s...RoClvYQAvD_BwE

Also bigger p.a. speaker are not cool to listen closely to. they need a certain hearing distance, otherwise it is getting quite harsh and annoying.

There are a lot of reasons I prefer headphones for e-drumming
      Last edited by Ribot; 05-26-20, 01:32 PM.
      Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Thanks Ribot!

Comment

I’m not familiar with your module but what I have found through my experience using a pevey dm15 is that by adding a little compression to the kit and eq on the snare and overheads helped eliminate a little of the harshness ,don’t know if those options are available with your module. Using a vst did not make a difference for me . As others have already said monitoring your kit with Large powered speakers in a small space is not the best way to go, Your better off monitoring through your cans.

When I gig I use a pearl mimic pro and monitor with Sony mdr 7506 cans I send a stereo out from the module to the clubs FOH and the sound engineer routes me a feed of the rest of the band back into the mimic pro where I can customize my headphone mix . Hope you found this useful.

cheers
          Pearl mimic pro drum mod,tama imperial star shells,helensson drum triggers,remo silent stroke and billy blast mesh heads, gen 16 cymbals, L12 digital mixer,studio one 4 daw, Pevey dm 115 for live monitoring, Yamaha dtx 502 module,dtx 900 silicone pads, zoom Zoom L12 digital mixer.

Comment

It is the speaker and room. If the room is small and completely live,most speakers will probably sound bad. Adding a sub makes every PA speaker sound better,even behringer. My QSC sub and top sound very close to my Audeze headphones.
            You may need to try to EQ the Thump to the rooom. You can run a sine wave sweep from youtube through it and listen for what frequencies are loud and quiet.

Comment

sine wave sweep... this is first time I hear about that! thanks for the tip, will definetly give it a go, see how it behaves. I also think will pad my room with some acoustic foam...

Comment

I spend a lot of time - many years - on trying to improve Roland module sound output for live performance - TD-20, TD-30 and now TD-50. Recently while listening on headphones I have been trialling this app on my Mac:
                https://www.sonarworks.com/reference which corrects my Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones and other fancier makes. It is certainly interesting to run the free trial to see what it achieves. I connect my TD-50 to Logic Pro X on the Mac and the TD-50 receives the audio back as well with the app processing the sound.

I also have a pair of Bang and Olufsen speakers connected to my Mac but nothing really compares to running the sound through my Allen & Heath Zed10 and Fohhn PA to check what booms etc.

I was looking at the ZED10FX today and it doesn't seem to do EQ or Compression but otherwise the A&H ZED10 has served me very well for over a decade. I'm hesitant about going to their digital ranges although the QU-PAC looks impressive: https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-pac/. The SQ range comes with built-in effects but it's a little OTT for just the drummer

So, I've been looking at the IK Multimedia reference speakers for home use - https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...&PSEL=Speakers
                I'm not sure they are an improvement on the B&O old speakers I use but it's a cool idea at reasonable money.

FWIW I've also been experimenting with IK Multimedia plug-ins for Logic Pro or Ableton Live as a means of obtaining more detailed control of the output from the TD-50. It seems to me that the built-in EQ and compression in the TD-50 (not sure if the TD-25 has this sort of thing) is not bad if you listen rather than look at the display but the original samples (?) or whatever Roland provide, always seem harsh-sounding so you are not starting from a good place.

IK Multimedia's MODO Drum takes a similar approach to the Roland modules in letting you tweak - the shell, heads etc. etc. etc. but starts with nicer sounds and takes it way beyond anything Roland would ever provide soundwise unfortunately.

So, I stick with Roland because IMHO they make the most reliable gear for live performance but fall way short on sound quality whichever speakers/PA you run the output through. Fortunately in the hurly-burly of a live gig a half-decent sound gets you by most days
                TD-50 module, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

Really interested in how good or really bad the room is? Pick up an inexpensive ($50?) omni condenser measurement mic and the free REW software. That's Room EQ Wizard. It will allow you to run all kinds of sweeps, pink noise, and so on. If your practice space is like mine (in a house, where it won't bug the spouse) you may find it's really bad acoustically. I repositioned my kit, hung some stuff on the walls, and monkeyed with stuff in the corners. After one learns the rudiments of REW (use yt tutorials), it doesn't take long to find the worst problems. As with any field, you can take care of a good % of the problem cheaply if you're creative. When I practice I usually listen through JBL 305 speakers and a monoprice sub nowdays, rather than cans.

Comment

Working...
                  X