Sub and Satellite Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub and Satellite Speakers

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for any advice, experiences that you've had etc. I've been searching for an amp for my TD25KV kit - probably looking to spend about $1,100 or so. I was first just going to purchase the Roland PM-200 but have read a lot of folks recommending something where I also have a couple of satellite speakers about ear height. I am considering this Turbosound combination - a powered 15" sub and two powered satellite speakers with 8" woofer and tweeter. https://www.zzounds.com/item--TURIP15BIP82?siid=245144 This is kind of a neat package bundled together. I wasn't sure if I purchased a separate powered sub, and a separate pair of powered satellite speakers, how to connect them so that the lows would go to the sub and the mids and highs would go to the satellite speakers. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Tom Pollock

Hi, have a look to the HK nano 600 (several models : 602; 605 fx; 608i; all depends on what you want to do). Small sub, very small stallites, 460W rms.

Comment

a. empirical budget?
      b. intended use?
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Hello guys, thank you so much for reading my question. My budget is probably going to be around $1,200.00 The intended use; I've been playing pretty much my entire life - acoustic and am new to V-Drums and love them. I've been using the Roland V300 Headphones and love them but want an amp that I can use at home, or, if I'm playing at a small venue (100 people) or if I am just jamming with a live band. My original interest was in the Roland PM-200 personal monitor but when I realized (?) that it isn't stereo I started looking for something a little better. That's when I read a lot of articles about drummer's really enjoying a sub and maybe a couple of satellite speakers on stands at ear level. So, I'm looking for really good quality sound, and just enough power and volume to play with a live band or practice with a live band. Thank you so much, Tom

Comment

Live - use the venue (or band's) PA
          At home use cans.
          If you need speakers at home, get a 2nd hand PA, £100 in the UK. Two speakers, on stands, min 12"+ woofers. Tweeters at ear height. Test with Prodigy's Firestarter on full pelt.
          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I've got a Roland PM-30 and like it far better then headphones. It seems the satellite style has fallen out of vogue when looking at current options. I've got my satellites set-up like the image shows, others have attached them right the e-drum rack (probably the biggest appeal when they were first designed), and others use small stands (which obviously increases the total footprint/floor these items take up and is a major drawback to most).

image_34347.jpg

If you're staying at home then a small personal monitor would be fine. If you like to turn it up for the band and are playing clubs, I'd echo what electrodrummer and said use a larger PA from the band or venue. However you may still want your own personal monitor!

I would also suggest looking into keyboard amps or a small PA as an alternative as there is a wider range of options available for every budget. A keyboard amp my be a good solution due to the improved portability compared to some PA's.

Roland KC-400: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...h-keyboard-amp

There seems to be a price advantage in equipment w/o the Roland brand, like this Alesis: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-inch-drum-amp

Here's a JBL set-up as well: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nds-and-cables

Last edited by Hoppy; 08-17-19, 11:24 AM.
            Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
            Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Hey, you guys are the best for taking your valuable time, and experience to weigh in to help a fellow drummer! I think that you are spot on as the more I have read, the more comments echo exactly what you are saying ... for much bigger sound when needed, a sub and a top speaker, or maybe even better - a pair of nice satellite speakers. It’s also ironic that you mentioned a possible keyboard amp due to some of the improvements in design and the ability to connect a sub or pair of “nice” satellite speakers. Thank you both so very much.

Comment

There are so many good options available especial with the budget you have allotted yourself.
                Post back here when you make a decision and have made the purchase. It's good to see these threads come to a conclusion especially if/when they include your review of the new equipment!
                Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
                Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

You can get any decent $599+ speaker and that will work well. I use a QSC k12.2 for my stage volume on my ekit (it's also through the PA). Any EV, JBL, Yamaha will work in that range as well. The Yamaha DXR tend to get better low end than others.

If you aren't putting the kit through a PA so this is how the audience will hear you, you'll need a sub otherwise the drums will sound thin. An inexpensive and compact option would be the EV ELX200-12sp sub with an EV ZLX12p powered speaker over it. Should be about $1000, plus you need a sub pole.

Comment

Working...
                  X