Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please help me dampening my drummer's drumkit!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me dampening my drummer's drumkit!!!!

Hi all
    here is a very desperate singer guitarist!
    me and my band play a lot in a restaurant with a very small stage, im letterally next to the drummer and after a few years of constant gigging my hearing has started to deteriorate.
    Im reaching out to you hoping i can find a decent solution to this, im already using in-ears but hes still too loud.
    the place is very hot and there is no way that screening could be used .
    he uses a yamaha hipgig set. im thinking of filling his snare with foam or similar material, still mic it but also add a trigger that we can blend in the mixer.
    what would be the best quality solution ? i have been looking around and thought of the tm-2 (but not sure which trigger to get) or the roland rt-micS.
    another option would be to swap the snare completly with a wavedrum or similar but he is complaining that he needs the "real skin feel"
    once at it we might consider to also trigger the kick as its not great for pop-rock-dance music that we do .... but that would be a plus.
    bare in mind the stage is very very small so any big brain for sounds might be a straggle to fit it.
    also what would be the best solution for the cymbals ? is there any way to damp them without losing the sound completely ?

thank you so much!!!

this is a joke right? you’re on an e-drums forum asking how you can make acoustic drums and cymbals quieter. get your drummer to buy a decent set of e-drums (with decent mesh heads) and turn the volume down
    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

i get it.. ..and in case it's not a joke..
      there are some ways to lower volume on an acoustic kit, and still preserve enough sound..
      on cymbals you could use cym pad moderators 70mm, this would lower volume but still leave
      enough sound (about 50%) if you go bigger than 70mm there won't be much volume left..
      https://www.thomann.de/nl/cympad_mod...e_set_70mm.htm
      on toms you could use remo fiberskyn heads, these are 'quieter' acoustic heads, remo skyntone heads
      would be more 'quiet' but not for harder hitting guys (like me) evans G1 would be louder..
      for a really 'big' volume reduction on toms, you could use thicker single ply mesh heads, like
      drum-tec pro mesh, and leave bottom heads on, now you'll still have tone and (less) attack,
      could still use micing to up the volume level .. this will however, change the 'feel' of the drums..
      for snare, i wouldn't use a metal snare with die cast hoop, but rather a birch snare with triple flanged hoop..
      (take it easy on the rim shots) a maple snare would be generally louder too..
      to lower snare volume, put an old snare head under the snare (bottom up, like normal) on the snare
      stand, this will lower volume while keeping snare properties (could experiment with a hole in this
      head, different size for different 'muting' effect)
      using a thin muffl ring (tone control ring) on top head (1,5 cm) snare/toms would lower some attack, also some high eq..
      a softer beater on kick drum, would lower bass drum volume..
      since it is you asking for info, and not your drummer, i guess i'm not making him very happy..
      but by using the above, as a drummer you can still feel happy playing, while also lowering acoustic volume..
      .. i didn't say use lighter sticks (or even rods) but that's another way to get there..
      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

I don't get it, why doesn't the guy just not play quieter, you need to have a serious 'either...or' conversation. 'Either you play quieter or go E-Drum or we will find someone else'.

Btw. there are really good low volume cymbalsets available now such as from Agean.
        E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
        A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
        TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

Also the drummer could change sticks to something a little lighter like a maple version of his current sticks, or look at different alternatives to sticks like brushes, talas, rutes, rakes, etc...
          For cymbals, look into Meinl cymbal tuners (these are magnets that can control the sustain, dampen the tone and adjust the volume.
          You could also go into "Ringo" mode and use some light towels (tea towels) on the drums (or cymbals even) to cut the sound (or for real deadening, use "mutes" which are neoprene and can be trimmed cut down if you don't to total kill the kit).
          Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
          Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

fair enough - some really good suggestions here. apologies for my earlier cynicism. i think djska has hit the nail on the head tho
            Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

Working...
            X