Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edrum monitor with presence (that could be carried on a train) for a pretty big stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edrum monitor with presence (that could be carried on a train) for a pretty big stage

I've been going straight into the FOH PA on the occasional gig on a large stage. I've been having bad luck with the sound as I listen back to past performances. The Kick and especially snare don't have the presence that I'd like. Today, I heard a recording played on a smaller stage with powered speakers and a small PA on stage.Those speakers were pushed a little. Kind of a raw sound with more definition. It sounded way better. I've been thinking about the Yamaha DBR 15 but it would be a real load with all my other stuff. I wonder if there might be something at least 1/3 to 1/2 lighter/smaller that might give at least a bit of the feel of a regular drummer. I have a small edrum setup (which fits in somewhat bigger than a carry on suitcase+backpack) which allows me to sometimes take the train.I'm already carrying quite a bit but I'd occasionally like some kind of own amp which could be either mic'd or line out or both. Thanks
    Last edited by tttom; 06-26-19, 05:17 PM.

I like the QSC K12's a lot. They have a 1,000 and 2,000 watt version. It's not a ton of thump but you're probably not going to find that in a manageable sized monitor. It does have a switch on the back to add low end which helps a bit. But it's very clear and loud. I've used them in really large venues and outdoor shows with great success. EV and JBL have since copied the design a bit so you can check out their options as well. The make a nice padded tote back for it which protects it and makes it easy to carry. Though I'd recommend a collapsible hand cart for the speak and drums if possible. It's a little smaller and lighter than the 15" but still performs really well. I'd recommend finding a store that carries both and compare the sound. Not sure how much low end the 15" will add compared to the 12. Might not be worth the added size and weight. A cart like the rock n roller would be great getting from the station to the gig I think.
    TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Sorry, the link failed for the cart bu google rock and roller hand cart.
      TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

I concur, K12.2 specifically. I did what Bwaj suggested and demod various models of speakers. Some were 15s and even the Bose F, and the K12.2 was my choice and I have not regretted it. I used one for a while, but got another and a KS212c. I wanted to be able to power a small group.

Take your module and a pad, if you have to, to the store on a non busy day. Setup and demo. Record them if you can, so you can playback the results.

As an added incentive, the warranty on K12.2 is 6yrs!

Comment

I did a lot of reading around this about a year ago - small and light are important to me too. There are some who argue that you're better to go with the QSC 10 or 15 instead of the 12. I don't have an opinion on this since I got a DBR10 (which I think is bigger/heavier than the QSCs, and from what I have read, does not perform on the same level as the QSCs which were out of my budget, and it needs EQing which I'm still working on but I am happy with it). But if you're going to trial the QSC 12 or 12.2 you might want want to try the 10 or 10.2 while you're there.
          E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

i gave some inaccurate information re the weight/size of the qsc relative to the yamahas.

weight: qsc10.2 is 14.5kg; dxr10 is 13.9kg; dbr10 is 10.5kg

size hxwxd in mm: qsc10.2 is 519x320x300; drx10 is 502x305x310; dbr10 is 493x308x289

the reasoning with the 10” vs the 12” is that the 12” gives a more ‘mid’ sound whereas the 10” is more punchy. that is according to some people on the internet. many bass players use either one 15” speaker or four 10” speakers. of course a single 10” speaker can’t move as much air as four speakers.

the converse is that a 12” can move more air and should have a lower frequency range than a 10.

there’s lots to be read (and heard) about all this online (including the v-drums sticky) so check the specs and compare the 12s and 10s (and 15s) for yourself if possible. the most common comment online is that you need either a good 15” speaker or a 10/12 plus a separate sub. neither of those are fun on the train though.

good luck with it and let us know what you do. i’m always interested in making drumming more portable.
            E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

I've read that the K12.2 sounded somewhat harsh compared to rivals and the previous gen, but for solo edrums amping, that might actually be a advantage through.

If I had to get a lightweight PA to carry on a train; I'd probably pour money into the loudest 10 inch I could afford and hope you can piggyback enough muddy kick thump from other PAs at the venue.

At least you could ensure a quality mid range so that your snare cuts through the band.

Have you heard of the Yamaha DZR range? The 10inch model can put out 137dB SPL! Which is just ridiculous for it's size, given how loud the infamous DXR range was (now upgraded to mkII versions I might add)

Unless you want to get something you can wheel about? (e.g. like a JBL Eon One + case) Line arrays is about the only way to have a portable sub-woofer. They give reasonable warm sound and reasonable thump but won't deliver on volume or mids like a proper 10 or 12 inch cab really unless you go really expensive.
              ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
              Community Drum Module Document
              PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't heard of those k12's. In the end I decided it was too much hassle for this gig and I do like hearing the foh mix so I can balance. Sure enough during the gig there was a problem with the snare overdriving the pa and sometimes causing a loud crack. The sound guy was a bit green and couldn't solve it on the mixer. I then asked if he had an extra powered speaker. He brought one out and it helped get around the problem.
                Last edited by tttom; 06-30-19, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                  I've read that the K12.2 sounded somewhat harsh compared to rivals and the previous gen, but for solo edrums amping, that might actually be a advantage through.

If I had to get a lightweight PA to carry on a train; I'd probably pour money into the loudest 10 inch I could afford and hope you can piggyback enough muddy kick thump from other PAs at the venue.

At least you could ensure a quality mid range so that your snare cuts through the band.

Have you heard of the Yamaha DZR range? The 10inch model can put out 137dB SPL! Which is just ridiculous for it's size, given how loud the infamous DXR range was (now upgraded to mkII versions I might add)

Unless you want to get something you can wheel about? (e.g. like a JBL Eon One + case) Line arrays is about the only way to have a portable sub-woofer. They give reasonable warm sound and reasonable thump but won't deliver on volume or mids like a proper 10 or 12 inch cab really unless you go really expensive.
                  I have a k12.2 right beside a Yamaha DXR10 and the QSC is smoother sounding.I also used to have a DXR15 and it had the same sound character. The Yamaha has more midrange like their studio monitors. I have put the 12.2 beside a JBL PRX 815 and the QSC sounds more like a studio monitor. Harshness is the last thing I would use to describe it. The Yamaha sounds slightly harsher on Edrums. The JBL has a bump somewhere at 4 to 5K which really pushes vocals but also sounds slightly harsher than the QSC.
                  All of these sound good, just the QSC is closest to my Genelec monitors and headphones.

Comment

I trust your word Peter, over random YouTube comments in that case, especially since you're comparing it in person to rival speakers in context and with detail you've provided. I shall highly consider QSC if I can get a good price in the UK.
                    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                    Community Drum Module Document
                    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Working...
                    X