Help me decide between two speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide between two speakers

I I've had my mimic for over a year now, I figure it's time I get some decent speakers to play through.

I can't imagine I'll ever play anything more than an outdoor gig for a couple hundred people. These will mostly be for when I'm alone at home and want to crank it.

I've been looking around a lot and have it narrowed down to two speakers. RCF HD 12A and RCF ART 325A
    prices are comparable, so that isn't really a factor in the decision. The 325 has a 15 inch sub while the 12a is only 12 inches, but the 12a is more powerful and seems to be a better overall speaker.

I don't think I'll notice the slight quality improvement with the 12a, but I'm concerned I won't get enough thump with only a 12 inch speaker. But I like that the 12a is overall much more powerful.

Any thoughts?

Play Prodigy's Firestarter, Underworld's Born Slippy, and Leftfield's Phat Planet through your candidate speakers. Buy the ones that sound best. Sorted,
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Comparing the frequency responsive; think the HD 12A probably sounds more Hi-Fi and sweet. It does have a more smiley faced profile compared to the ART 325A and will work better at lower volumes.

However as many will testify, you really need to go 15" minimum for kick drum thump when you just run the solo PA, or spend the money on a sub + top and pay with the weight toll - but you'll get 3-way sound quality for it.

Worth considering the DXR15 as it's near the price range of the 325A. I really like RCF's selection though as well as FBT for Italian speakers, good choice.

Alternatively there is the EVOX line.
      ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
      Community Drum Module Document
      PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

These will mostly be for when I'm alone at home and want to crank it.
        In this case, I would be surprised if the difference between a 15" sub and a good 12" sub would make much difference. On bigger gigs, you would probably need to go through a bigger PA anyway, and could use either for stage volume? I would test both and go with my ears since the main audience is going to be you.

If using it for gigs is also important, Kabonfaiba's point about 15" minimum comes up again and again on the threads, with a few expensive exceptions.
        E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

The EV 12 inch subs are small and powerful. Add a 10 inch 2 way top and you have a great system. Better than a single DXR15 in my experience but also more money.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigzw View Post
            I don't think I'll notice the slight quality improvement with the 12a, but I'm concerned I won't get enough thump with only a 12 inch speaker. But I like that the 12a is overall much more powerful.
            QSC K10.2 top, KS212C sub. You WILL notice the difference (thump, clarity, and range). Yep, more money. But you'll be pleased -- IMO
            If single speaker alone, consider a K12.2.
            Last edited by Six; 06-17-19, 11:25 AM.

Comment

This discussion is quickly turning into "spend more money = better PA system" which is a bit underhanded. Nobody really disputes that 3-way is better than 2-way, except from a point of portability, so how about this:

Everybody is recommending very good speakers here, but could we find a sub + top combination that comes in around the same price as a single premium 2-way? e.g. QSC K 12.2 +/- 10% that you could honestly recommend?
              ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
              Community Drum Module Document
              PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Choosing a speaker for home use (on a budget) comes down to how much noise you're allowed to make and what would be going through the speaker? If you plan to play along to some songs or backing tracks, a more quality (full range, hi-fi, whatever) speker comes handy. Inviting a mate with a guitar amp or just banging on as loud as your ears/neighbours allow calls for a more robust option... No need for hi-fi there. Your choice depends on the planned use.
                •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
                •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
                •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Working...
                X