Mimic Pro routing question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic Pro routing question

I'm considering a Mimic Pro as my next module but I have some routing questions. There isn't Pearl dealer near me that stocks a Mimic to demo so I couldn't try one in person. I did some research on my own but I wasn't able to come up with a definite answer. After speaking to Alan yesterday, he recommended I post a question here to see if anyone could offer any insights.

Is it possible to route the instruments/mics in the Mimic Pro to 4 mono outputs? I need to be able to do the following:
    Output 1 = Kick
    Output 2 = Snare
    Output 3 = Toms
    Output 4 = All Cymbals (or "Overheads" if that's the more accurate term where the Mimic is concerned. I understand the overheads will also contain indirect sound from the rest of the kit instruments)

I understand that the Mimic simulates an acoustic playing and recording experience in ways other drum modules do not; that there may be "bleed" in some of the outputs. For instance, I expect to hear a bit of snare and toms in the Overheads rather than completely isolated cymbals, just the way I do when I play mic'd acoustic drums. That is not a problem in my case. I just need for each of the 4 mono outputs I mentioned above to be primarily composed of the instrument(s) listed.

Does anyone know if this is possible in the Mimic Pro?

Thanks very much!
    ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

That should work fine. You can also adjust the amount of each drum in the overheads.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Peter! The manual does indicate that "The ride and Hi-Hat cymbals use direct microphones and may also be individually routed to the output of your choice", but
      I've looked around a bit and wasn't able to find anything to confirm that a user is able to combine the Hi-hat and Ride direct microphones in the same mono output as a single mono Overhead output.
      ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

can you tell in little more detail - what have you searched for exactly? I mean - what confirmation do you expect to find?

Comment

Hi Mr. Boo,

As Steven Slate has mentioned and many users here have confirmed, "The Mimic Pro is a complete reworking of the drum module as we know it." Because the Mimic Pro operates radically differently than the Roland drum modules I've owned, I didn't want to make any assumptions that the Mimic Pro would allow the routing I need.

I started by Googling "Pearl Mimic Pro Routing", "Pearl Mimic Pro Outputs" and "Pearl Mimic Pro Direct Outputs". It was interesting to note that many "hits" were from vdrums.com
          I read several posts from owners mentioning routing to multiple outputs, but none I found said specifically that it is possible to route all cymbal inputs (hi-hat direct microphone, ride direct microphone, and overheads) to a single, mono output. I watched a few videos on YouTube including those produced by Pearl and V Expressions related to routing.

I also downloaded the Mic Pro Manual, but without a module in front of me to actually follow along on, it was difficult to make any concrete determinations. I did note the part that indicated "The ride and Hi-Hat cymbals use direct microphones and may also be individually routed to the output of your choice", so that was encouraging.

I recognized that, while what I wanted to do was achievable with a Roland module, it may considered unusual in terms of a operation of the Mimic Pro. So I asked a couple of users here who have deep working knowledge of the Mimic Pro. In both cases, they said they were not sure if what I wanted to do was possible and suggested I post here as you and others may have ideas about whether it will work, and if so, how best to do it.

I guess this is what I am ultimately hoping to confirm; On the Mimic Pro, Is it possible to route the hi-hat direct microphone, the ride direct microphone and the overhead microphones to a single mono output?

Thanks very much for your insights! And I have to say, Its incredibly cool that you're here to provide direct help to Mimic Pro users.

Comment

The stereo microphones could only be routed to stereo outputs.
            Stereo microphones are OH, Room
            Mono microphones could be routed to mono or stereo outputs
            Mono microphones are all direct mics (kick, snare, ride, hat, toms etc)

Comment

Excellent. I think that may actually still work fine for my needs, but it would require either using an outboard y-cabl,e or mixing down the instruments in the overhead to one side of the stereo field.

For instance, once the overheads, hi-hat and ride are routed to a dedicated stereo pair (for instance to stereo 13/14 DB25 - 7/8), one could use a simple dual TRSF-to-Single TRS cable (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ch-trsf-6-inch) into a direct box to combine the stereo pair down to a single output. Certainly not ideal but may work.
              Alternately it may be possible to build a kit using Crash cymbal instruments that are all pre-assigned to the same side of the stereo field ("Crash L..." instruments) and/or panned hard left. The direct mics on the hi-hat and ride should sound fine in mono or hard panned to one side. One could then connect only the left channel of the stereo pair to the FOH and still hear most of the signal.

Here's my idea for potential configurations using a DB25 to TRS cable for outputs

Option A
              Kick > Direct Mic to mono 7 (DB25 - Chan 1) > Direct Box > FOH Channel 1
              Snare > Direct Mic to mono 8 (DB25 - Chan 2) > Direct Box > FOH Channel 2
              All Toms > Direct Mic to mono 9 (DB25 - Chan 3) > Direct Box > FOH Channel 3
              HiHat / Ride / Overhead > to stereo 13/14 (DB25 - Chan 7/8) > Chan 7/8 to Y Cable (Dual 1/4" TRSF to 1/4" TRS) > Direct Box > FOH Channel 4

Option B (begin by creating a User Kit with all crash cymbals either panned hard left, assigned a "Crash L..." instrument, or both)

Kick > Direct Mic to mono 7 (DB25 - Chan 1) > Direct Box > FOH Channel 1
              Snare > Direct Mic to mono 8 (DB25 - Chan 2) > Direct Box > FOH Channel 2
              All Toms > Direct Mic to mono 9 (DB25 - Chan 3) > Direct Box > FOH Channel 3
              HiHat / Ride / Overhead > to stereo 13/14 (DB25 - Chan 7/8) > Chan 7 to Direct Box > FOH Channel 4

Does it sound like either of these options might work?

Comment

So does that mean that you are hard limited to just 4 channels on a FOH mixer?
                May be it will be reasonable to try the following:
                Kick -> mono 1
                Snare ->mono 2
                Toms, hat, ride, Overheads -> stereo (mono3/4)
                Then probably you'll be able to have some level of control on the Overheads with a high-shelf eq on a FOH console, and have some kind of stereo, plus you would be able to use any "standard" kits - no need to edit cymbals. Actually it's pretty common setup (Stereo overheads for an overall kit sound plus mono snare/kick mics to bring some weight to these parts of the kit)

Comment

Sorry, yes I'm limited to 4 FOH channels and we run the PA in mono (with subs on a dedicated Aux bus). I'd mentioned something similar to your idea of combined output channels (toms/cymbals) to our engineers but they were concerned with trying to balance the gain and EQ in realtime live. Apparently the relative volume of the cymbals/toms, as well as the EQ needs (particularly controlling lo-mids and lows for the toms) can vary a great deal depending on the venue we're in, as well as how full the rooms are, or where the bulk of the audience is located in the room. Sending the 4 group outputs separately would be ideal if it is possible.

Comment

I'm feeling reasonably certain I can make the Mimic Pro work within the routing constraints I'm stuck with at the moment, so I'm working with my local drum shop to acquire one. I do have some other questions on pad settings, but to keep this thread on topic, I'll post those separately at some point. For now I'm going to keep my expanded TD-20 just in case. Thank you all for your help with my questions!

Comment

Originally posted by ChromeBoy View Post
                      I'm feeling reasonably certain I can make the Mimic Pro work within the routing constraints I'm stuck with at the moment, so I'm working with my local drum shop to acquire one. I do have some other questions on pad settings, but to keep this thread on topic, I'll post those separately at some point. For now I'm going to keep my expanded TD-20 just in case. Thank you all for your help with my questions!
                      You should have no problem with triggering with the TD-20 pads, or any Roland pads really ..... The exception might be the VH-12. Lots of Mimic users are using VH-10, 11, and 13 with no problems at all .... VH-12 .... not so much.
                      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks Jman!
                        Actually I've been using my custom rebuilt vintage electronic kits as well as some of Mario's FSR products for the last couple of years. Although I still have a couple Roland pads around, I'm not really using them anymore... once in a while I do throw a PD-21 on the kit somewhere just to have a triangle mixed in amongst the hexagons . I've completely rebuilt those too and they work great.
                        Its going to take some tweaking to get everything dialed in properly, just as it did with the Roland and Kat modules. When the Mimic arrives I'll take a run at things... and then call the JmanWord hotline when I get stuck!

Comment

Working...
                        X