First impressions of live TD20 - Pro Band

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions of live TD20 - Pro Band

Ive been gigging the TD20 for about 3 months now at various size venues and various PA / Monitoring setups. Coming from a fairly straightforward top-end Starclassic setup ive observed the following:
    1. Setup time takes a LOT longer so I have to allow at least 30 minutes more at the venue. Im getting this down each time I setup and now have a fairly set routine.
    2. Monitoring is ALL, there has been a couple of times monitoring has been hopeless and insufficient. I play with a click most of the time and when I have a good sidefill its a lot more comfortable experience. If I dont its very stressful. It defo needs at least a good 15" Sub and 12/15" full range setup. We have built this into our stage spec now for all future shows
    3. Still having issues with hearing hi hat / Ride and Cymbals compared to the rest of the kit. Im finding these difficult to get used to compared to decent acoustic versions. Im even considering going back if I cant get an authentic feel. I would love some insights on what others have done to improve this side of the kit.
    4. I struggle with getting authentic snare sound on fast rolls , still sounds a bit machine gunny at times
    4. Overall WHAT a sound! Our Singer moves to the kit for a couple of numbers and i go out front, and last night we had almost the perfect monitoring mix on the Kits and on the stage wedges. The sound was EPIC!

Thanks
    Last edited by 10cclo; 11-18-18, 02:31 PM.

Trouble with the td20 is it does machine gun. It is quite old technology now. What about swapping it out for a td30. Still machine guns a bit but better than the 20. Of course you could spend a lot more and get a mimic or td50. Depends on what you want. I know I wouldn’t want to play live with a td30 never mind a td20.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

When I played out with my TD-20 I always had a small mixer coming back to me with the band mix in it and would use that mixed with my kit and headphones. There were few cases where I got a useful monitor mix from anything other than headphones and the phones made it a WAY better playing experience. Closed back worked best for me. It was like playing with a real recording or like the studio and I believe made my performances better as a result of how satisfying the sound was.
      My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

I played a lot of gigs with my td 20 ( vexed) i ran a mackie powered 15 and was a good solid mix.. having said that i would also run in ear monitors from the 20 with a line in mixed from the desk with everything but drums. that way i could sort of blend the band with the drums myself... most of the time i would run one ear in one out so i could better hear the stage mix.. Unless i was ding vocals or on the few songs where we had some backing tracks so the click needed to be used.. normally i ran mix right click left for those songs... hope that helps...Btw the TD 30 is way way better than the 20... 50 i dont know i didnt buy it due to some triggering issues at speed in early days ( this may have been fixed) Im trying to get on a mimic pro right now if i can get one to Australia. It seems to me a lot of roland player are switching to mimic so you might want to have a look at it.. If you think the 20 sounds good wait till you hear the mimic.

Comment

Working...
        X