tone changes when hitting hard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tone changes when hitting hard

I've got this weird thing happening with certain kits on my dtx500x...When I hit the toms hard, the tone changes . becomes more of a thud, not so much tone to it. This does not happen in my earphones. only on my simmons and the turbosound speaker i'm using does this happen., and not all tom sounds. the maple, birch, oak , nice acoustic sounding toms..the gain is set to 0 on these toms.

I play Roland's and I find that just changing the weight of stick gives the whole kit a different feel but I know this is just in my head. If I go from a light stick to a heavier stick the whole feel of the kit changes and the sound of the kick deepens. Also if I increase the pitch on say the snare, the actual head feels tighter and visa versa if I lower the pitch the head feels softer. All in my head I know but quite amazing really. Its not what you are getting at I know, but just an observation.

Comment

Is there a compressor in the chain?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
        Is there a compressor in the chain?
        there is a mixer. a 'six' channel yamaha. I say six because it's really only two fully controllable with eq etc

Comment

Originally posted by promark747 View Post

there is a mixer. a 'six' channel yamaha. I say six because it's really only two fully controllable with eq etc
          Is there compression on the channels? Some Yamaha mixers have a single control compressor.

Comment

Changing the velocity settings from normal to hard seems to help

Comment

Also, I took all gain out of the mixer, using just volume to control the output from the mixer. made a big difference.

Comment

Working...
              X