Proper usage of Line vs Mic input on a stage monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper usage of Line vs Mic input on a stage monitor

Sorry in advance for a very basic question but I am relatively new to e-drums. I have been having trouble getting adequate volume and decent sound out of my setup: DTX562 main out via TRS cable to a Yamaha DXR10 using the Line1 input, as indicated in the DXR manual. I had to crank the DTX and DXR volume way up to get a moderate sound volume and the sounds were muddy. Could hardly hear the cymbals. No adjustments to the rudimentary DSP on the monitor helped. So I tried throwing the Line/Mic switch to Mic and everything improved---much more headroom on the volume and clearer sounds all around.

My question: Am I potentially harming the monitor or module by using this input? Will I overdrive the monitor in some way? I am hearing what sounds like a ground hum at low volume when not playing drums or music... Did not hear this with Line input, maybe because I couldn't hear much of anything!
    Last edited by RIneuron; 06-25-18, 11:41 AM.

You should have plenty of volume with that speaker. Are you sure you are outputting the right level from the module? I'm not familiar with it so in addition to the volume knob, is there an option in the software to adjust output? It sounds like your not outputting enough level from the module. If you are sending line level and set to mic, it should actually distort the sound though it would be louder. As long as you're not distorted, no harm done. Here's a decent little article explaining it, http://www.shure.com/americas/suppor...t-do-they-mean

The buzz is probably because you've got the volume all the way up on the speaker. Try turning it down a little and see if that makes it more tolerable. It could of course also be a ground hum or bad cable. Can you try different cables? If so, go back to line level first as a bad cable could also be your volume issue. Hope that helps or someone smarter comes along!
    TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

You could also use a direct box to see if it helps the hum. I have found some modules have a low output and need a boost to standard line level.I always use a small mixer. The DTX module is probably unbalanced.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        ---Bwaj---I am not getting any distortion. The sound actually sounds much brighter than via Line input, but not overdriven. The hum is only noticeable when no sound is being fed to the monitor. I suspect a questionable cable. I will take the tips off and check the connections tonight, and change out the cable if that doesn't yield anything.
        ---I will dive into the manual tonight and check for master output levels. I have been using the iPad app for the module to control it because of ease of use but it is possible there are other master out adjustments on the module itself.
        ---Peter---By unbalanced do you mean I should be using a TS rather than TRX cable?
        Last edited by RIneuron; 06-26-18, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I don't know about Yamaha but the mid level Roland modules output what is known as -10 dBV or consumer line level. The DXR10 line level input is expecting +4 dBu or professional line level. That is why you get moderate sound with all of your volumes cranked.

I use a DI box to mic input on a mixer then mixer out to my DXR15. That way the mic level output of the DI box is matched to the mic level input of the mixer. Everything is matched. The DI box also converts the unbalanced (TS) signal from the module to a balanced mic signal. Unbalanced signals are prone to ground hum or loops. Keep those runs very short until they can be converted to balanced.

I am not a sound engineer. Just regurgitating what I've read.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by billgtx; 06-26-18, 08:39 PM.
          TD-25KV, Mapex Horizon Blue Sparkle A2E w/Triggera InTriggs.
          Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Granted, I only have used Roland modules, but I used to have a DXR15 and I used an unbalanced (TS) cable to the Input 1 on the back of the DXR and make sure the switch is set to "Line".

At end of day, DI box + XLR is probably better solution as stated, to reduce hum and match levels.
            Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
            Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Thanks biligtx and Trip. Very clear explanations. Any recommendation for a reasonably priced DI box?
              Last edited by RIneuron; 06-26-18, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I use these with great success.
                Buy BEHRINGER ULTRA-DI DI400P: Direct Boxes - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
                "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

DI box.jpeg
                  Only at Sweetwater! ✅  Bulk Pricing and ✅  0% Financing for your Radial ProDI 1-channel Passive Instrument Direct Box!
                  Last edited by RIneuron; 06-26-18, 03:12 PM. Reason: Please ignore this post. Sorry.

Comment

Sorry for the incorrect post above showing the PRO DI unit. Can't figure out how to delete it.

Just to close this out for future users who might need this info:
                    I bought the Behringer Ultra DI 400p recommended by Intruder for $20 from Sweetwater and connected it with a cable from Monoprice (XLR to TRS, $5) via the microphone out of the DI to the Line/Mic in of the Yamaha DXR10 monitor. Flipped the monitor input switch to Mic and all is good. Plenty of volume, no distortion, and no ground hum. Thanks to all for the advice.
                    Last edited by RIneuron; 07-01-18, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Glad it worked out for you. I have 5 of these things for various uses around both the studio and office. Some Behringer stuff is not crap.
                      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                      X