Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many gigging edrummers go straight into the PA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many gigging edrummers go straight into the PA?

I have an earlier entry but maybe asked in too complicated a way. I'd appreciate knowing about regularly gigging drummers who rely completely on their edrums. How many go straight into the PA? This is compared to bringing their own amp and either miking it or sending a line out from it. Thanks

i send out my line-outs from my TD-30 to PA mixer, 1 kick, 1 snare, 1 for hihat and ride, 1 for crash and 2 for toms

Comment

Straight out of my td11 module to di boxes and into the pa. I do play regularly in the same venue with a digital desk so we have set up the instrument levels in the module to suit the fact that the desk can't mix the kit and set up and saved the channel strips on the desk for easy recall. I have good professional and semi-professional sound folks who regularly work with acoustic kits and they love the simplicity and overall result.

Comment

I am going straight to the PA, 2box DrumIt Five with 6 channels(kick, snare, hh, toms, cymbals in stereo) to our Mackie DL-32R. I get my monitor feed from the Mackie, where I can adjust my “channel myself from an iPad...feeding a Fischer headphone amp, a pair Shure 535 in-ears plus a pearl buttkicker.

These digital mixers...we have done virtual soundchecks before the gigs...e.g. all channels is recorded on the hard disk in advance...and as we always are using the same settings...so if the virtual sound check sound ok...we can just rely on this and play!

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
        Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11,120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, Addictive Drums 2.1.7. All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

At church I go to a 8 channel DI right to the board (7 channels {K, SN, HH, RD, T, CYM, and MISC). I would do this live every time if the house could handle it my MISC channel is going to become my spd-s for all extra percussion stuff. I send the same channels to my mixer for my in-ear mix. At church everything runs to my board and I control the monitors, in a gigging situation I ask for a monitor mix from the front board.
          Ted H.

Comment

Straight in (via DIs and stagebox)
            *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
            Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a uke or three.

Comment

Yes - I do it all the time. Will be switching over to a Mimic Pro this weekend, but for the past few years I have used 10 outputs from a TD20 ( 8 for drums & cymbals plus the 2 mains for ambiance and effects) into a digital mixer through DIs. We multi-track record our gigs on a laptop, and having individual channels makes it easier to tweak the balance in the mix. You can hear a few tracks recorded live at www.HeathersOnFire.com.

Comment

Originally posted by tttom View Post
                I have an earlier entry but maybe asked in too complicated a way. I'd appreciate knowing about regularly gigging drummers who rely completely on their edrums. How many go straight into the PA? This is compared to bringing their own amp and either miking it or sending a line out from it. Thanks
                The thing is, having an e-drum fed directly to the pa makes the monitoring challenging for the rest of the band. It depends mostly on wether there are other amps on the stage. If the whole band uses in-ears then it's easier, but with guitar and bass amps there, you'll need solid wedges or sidefields for the rest of the band to have a good feel for the drums.

I play daily on the same stage using a digital mixer, and only myself using in-ear. The rest of the band has amps and floor monitors but the FOH is so close to the stage that they get a lot of the sound (critically low end) from there, which helps keeping the stage volume at moderate level.
                A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW

Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers

Comment

Thanks. All useful to know. I've been sending all edrums in one channel to the mixer and then acoustic percussion in separate channels. Recently got several bad mixes from soundmen that didn't know us. One all you could hear was the acoustic percussion but not enough kick and snare. The other was different because the edums , guitar and vocals were all there in the mix but it was a muddy sound with no space between the instruments. Good to see how many go straight in. I still tend to favor it because at least I can get do my part to make the drum levels balance against other instruments.

Comment

I switched over to gigging edrums a month ago using the TD 50 and for the first time last week I used the Mimic. Stereo Out into a QSC Touch Mix. We all use in ears (3 piece band).
                    I bring a small 50 watt edrum amp for my bass player because he whines he cant feel it (even though he stands 3 ft away from the FOH subs) This week I will be using direct outs for kick, snare, hh, ride toms, ovh's.

Comment

Im using my mimic on stage for the first time on Saturday night. I've done 4 rehearsals direct into the board.(twice on a qsc Mix wizard and once on a Beringer 18x air. It's amazing. I'm taking up 7 channels.

1 and 2 OH stereo l/r
                      3 Kick
                      4 Snare
                      5 Toms
                      6 HH
                      7 Ride

My bass player isn't as excited about it either, he likes loud stage volume. Singers, Guitarist, keys all LOVE it. Im the only one going IEM's but I'll also bring a K10 monitor for stage sound and a fail safe if my in ears go down(this will be my first time using IEM's on stage).

This is our first gig using eDrums in years. I tried a few years ago with my TD15 but not having control at the board over kick/snare at the very least made it not fun. We gave up on live E's after 1 gig.
                      Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
                      Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

I'm using the TD50 now. It has 8 balanced sub outs. The signal is loud and clear, as it should be. (If you don't have balanced output, you should use DI's: I used to use the behringer DI800, so that means 8 DI's in one. But the quality is mediocre at best. A good DI is roughly 120 euro a piece, like the BSS AR133)

I'm sending Kick ( mono) , Snare (mono), toms and cymbals ( stereo) , Effects (stereo). Only 6 channels. (8 or 10 is better, but than we need a bigger mixing desk...). I Seperated the effects from the rest: why? because in that way I give control to the sound men how much he will use of it. Most of the time very little, because we are playing in a gym and there's alreadey a lot of reverb. But on eg Ballads or so, a little more reverb is very welcome.
                        Toms and cymbals are in one stereo channel: in means that your internal balances should be very good. We record everything and listen back: after a couble of time you know exactly which sound is too hard of too soft in the mix. Example. In one kit I programmed a shaker and tambourine on the rims of Tom 1 and Tom 2. I really needed to dial them down in module to get a good balanced mix. Of course, you only have to do it once, and then in perfect every time you play.

BTW, we are all using IEM on stage, so there no stage volume at all. The consequence is that I had to teach my soundmen, to give me power! They had to learn to open op the volumes, since a FOH speaker will open up from a certain level. And without subs it doesnt work very well either.

Comment

Originally posted by Roving Drummer View Post

My bass player isn't as excited about it either, he likes loud stage volume. Singers, Guitarist, keys all LOVE it. Im the only one going IEM's but I'll also bring a K10 monitor for stage sound and a fail safe if my in ears go down(this will be my first time using IEM's on stage).
                          You May well be prepared for this but one thing I learned quickly when i went to iems about 4 years ago was to make sure I have a really good ambient feed into my mix. Without it the whole experience can feel really sterile. Some folks might like this but I find it hard to do a proper job without the audible sense of audience reaction.

I now have a local mixer and headphone amp (I'm wired iem not wireless) with a good omni mic attached to my rack in the mix alongside my headphone output from my module and the mix the desk gives me. This makes it easier for me to get the ambient right and add a bit more drum myself if necessary once we get going. I use a really cheap behringer 4 channel mini mixer and 2 channel headphone amp that come in large matchbox type format. They work surprisingly well given total cost was £40.

Comment

Originally posted by NathanE View Post

You May well be prepared for this but one thing I learned quickly when i went to iems about 4 years ago was to make sure I have a really good ambient feed into my mix. Without it the whole experience can feel really sterile. Some folks might like this but I find it hard to do a proper job without the audible sense of audience reaction.

I now have a local mixer and headphone amp (I'm wired iem not wireless) with a good omni mic attached to my rack in the mix alongside my headphone output from my module and the mix the desk gives me. This makes it easier for me to get the ambient right and add a bit more drum myself if necessary once we get going. I use a really cheap behringer 4 channel mini mixer and 2 channel headphone amp that come in large matchbox type format. They work surprisingly well given total cost was £40.

Im not going wireless either. Im using a mackie 4 channel mixer. Monitor feed in 1, headphones from mimic in 2. I can add an ambient mic to 3(when I get one) Good tip.

I dont use both 1 and 2 at the same time, but I have it set up to see which feed I prefer which right now I prefer the feed from the FOH board(I have control over all mics/inputs) but we'll see how it plays out at a gig. eventually I'll just set up one or the other.

thanks man.
                            Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
                            Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

I use in ears as my monitor. I split my signal so I can control my own mix, send the split to the PA. Out of the modules into direct boxes. One feed goes to the PA, the other to my personal mixer. I have the sound guy send me a mix of the rest of the band.
                              TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X