Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need sturdy portable pads/rack for gigging - running Mimic Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need sturdy portable pads/rack for gigging - running Mimic Pro

    Hello. I am in need of a second set of pads to play with the Mimic Pro. I don't want to build another kit, I need portability for lite gigging.
    Anyone have experience with Strike Pro pads running MP or something similar? I'd appreciate your input.
    Last edited by Six; 05-08-18, 04:35 PM.

  • #2
    Get a TrapKat
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a uke or three.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cute. Sure it has its purpose.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Six View Post
        Cute. Sure it has its purpose.
        Yes, yes it does. Not really cute - it's a standard kit reach. Great for both gigging and rehearsals (speaking from experience!). Recommended. And you get 22-24 pads, external inputs, layering etc.
        Last edited by electrodrummer; 05-08-18, 08:04 PM.
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a uke or three.

        Comment


        • #5
          I use the strike pro with mimic. No problems!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

            Yes, yes it does. Not really cute - it's a standard kit reach. Great for both gigging and rehearsals (speaking from experience!). Recommended. And you get 22-24 pads, external inputs, layering etc.
            It seems more in-line with a Roland SPD-SX

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by thebigzw View Post
              I use the strike pro with mimic. No problems!
              thebigzw, do you use the cymbals as well?
              What "Trigger Pad Preset Selectors" do you use to dial-in your pads/cymbals?
              Have you changed to thicker mesh heads?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Six View Post

                It seems more in-line with a Roland SPD-SX
                Much more advanced than an SPDsx as a triggering device. And 3x bigger. Closer to a big DTX Multi12 as far as MIDI functions are concerned - which, itself, is an excellent "lite" portable kit for gigging (again, from experience!) - the SPDsx is not a gigging kit - too limited.
                *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a uke or three.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

                  Closer to a big DTX Multi12 as far as MIDI functions are concerned - which, itself, is an excellent "lite" portable kit for gigging (again, from experience!) - the SPDsx is not a gigging kit - too limited.
                  Yup. The SPD-SX is great for triggering loops, but the Multi12 far outpaces it as a MIDI controller or as a minikit.
                  drumgeargeek.com

                  ad5 // SPD-SX // DTXMulti12 // drumbrute

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Six View Post

                    thebigzw, do you use the cymbals as well?
                    What "Trigger Pad Preset Selectors" do you use to dial-in your pads/cymbals?
                    Have you changed to thicker mesh heads?
                    I use the crashes and the ride, but not hi hats - I use a vh11. I just used the Roland equivalent pads for presets (8 inch tom pd85, 10 pd105, crash cy14c, etc I know Chris k has a preset on his mimic pro site, then just tweak to taste.

                    I'm using the stock mesh heads. They feel nice, although I wish they weren't black. Haha.

                    Strike cymbals aren't the same quality as Roland, but close enough really.

                    ​​​​

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by thebigzw View Post

                      I use the crashes and the ride, but not hi hats - I use a vh11. I just used the Roland equivalent pads for presets (8 inch tom pd85, 10 pd105, crash cy14c, etc I know Chris k has a preset on his mimic pro site, then just tweak to taste.

                      I'm using the stock mesh heads. They feel nice, although I wish they weren't black. Haha.

                      Strike cymbals aren't the same quality as Roland, but close enough really.

                      ​​​​
                      Very good. I've been YTubing views on the kit. There are some complaints regarding the base of the piezo breaking and the foam rods dislodging. Any issues there?
                      When you say the cymbal are not of the same quality as Roland, what do you mean? Do the cymbals trigger well all around?
                      I would be using an ATV HH.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have had no problems with the base plate - and I think I'm a relatively hard hitter. I have seen what you're talking about though.

                        When I got it (floor model) a couple of the foam towers had fallen off. Made no difference in triggering, I only noticed because I took off the heads to look. I just sick then back on. That was last September I think, no other issues.

                        The cymbals don't swing as naturally as Roland cymbals do. In order to avoid hot spitting, they put the piezo on the "back" half where you don't play the cymbal, so you need to up the sensitivity more than Roland ones. The edge switches don't pick up light hits very well, so cymbal swells would be a problem is mimic had bow samples. Fine for me with cymbals, terrible for hi hat, which is why I use my hi hat top as a splash and the vh11 as hats. Overall, cy14c has a bit better feel.

                        My only experience with a Roland ride was the 12rc, so I can't give a good comparison there, but the bell and edge both trigger really well on the ride

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks everyone for the feedback. If anyone else have nuggets to share please chime in.
                          thebigzw, I'd probably sell the cymbals with the module. My real interest would be the pads and rack.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I much prefer the pads and rack to the Roland stuff I had before (mds 9, pd120, 100, 105, 85).

                            The rack is more sturdy and looks better. The pads have no hot spots and look better.

                            All my opinion and experience as I have read the horror stories some users have had

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              thebigzw, what are the depths of the toms and bass? And roughly how heavy are the 14" and bass drum?

                              Wish I could find just the Pro rack.
                              Last edited by Six; 05-10-18, 03:30 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X