TD50 - using backing tracks and adding a click track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD50 - using backing tracks and adding a click track

I am pretty well versed in using the TD50 and have read the manual numerous times but I seem to be hitting a wall in figuring out the best method for using backing tracks for live gigging and adding a click track.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TD-50 KV with KD A-22; TD-12KV; TD-4; and, Acoustic Pearl Masters Series

I am using a SPD-SX to solve this problem. I am afraid this is not the answer you wil prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by cseider View Post
      I am using a SPD-SX to solve this problem. I am afraid this is not the answer you wil prefer.
      cseider, thanks for the input. I am thinking of doing that too but want to see what the best solution is through the TD50 first.

Comment

Does the TD 50 have a L/R input and a L/R output?

Run the tracks mono on one side and run a recorded click on the other?

I assume the TD50 will have some mechanism to adjust the volumes of the drums, tracks and click separately.

I am certain the TD50 is not going to store the tracks but that wasn't the question.

Which brings me to the question, why do you need to run them through the TD50? Straight from a computer or device into the mixer should do the trick.

My band runs mono sound. I record the tracks panned left and a click panned right. I think that is the standard procedure. It doesn't involve my TD20 at all. My tracks care stored from an SPD-SX or a computer but there are a few other options like a TM2 or even a phone or mp3 device
        Last edited by New Tricks; 04-10-18, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I run my tracks off an iphone4 which I bought for 50 bucks on Ebay. There is a free app called Back Trax http://backtraxapp.com/ which is incredibly reliable. You can build play lists in it and easily move the order of the tracks, etc. I play with lots of different bands so it's nice to label the lists by band names and keep multiple lists.

Some of my groups tune down a half step to save the singers, some are in 440 so it's very helpful to have the different lists for that as well. I pan the click to one side, tracks to the other and only send FOH the tracks. Eliminates the chance of click going to FOH.

My guitar player keeps also has a $50 iphone with a duplicate. So we have a back up just in case. I find this to be the easiest way to run tracks, it automatically stops at the end of a track. And advances to the next so you just have to hit the big green play button. I think you can set it to autoplay the next track too. I mount it to my HH stand with a $5 clip.

Curious, why do you prefer to run them from the TD50?

TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

If you put your click track in the same song folder on your SD card as your backing track with "_click" on the end of the filename (eg. song.wav is your backing track, song_click.wav is your click track), the TD-50 will play them both together when you select the backing track file from the song player (as long as the right setting is enabled). I'm not at my TD-50 at the moment to explain the process in detail but it's all in the manual.

It's a great feature and makes things very easy. You can also route both the backing and click out of separate outputs with the mixer settings. My only gripe is that scrolling through the song library isn't as simple for me as swapping kits on my SPD-SX in a live setting so I haven't made the transition yet myself.

Comment

Originally posted by New Tricks View Post
              Does the TD 50 have a L/R input and a L/R output?

Run the tracks mono on one side and run a recorded click on the other?

I assume the TD50 will have some mechanism to adjust the volumes of the drums, tracks and click separately.

I am certain the TD50 is not going to store the tracks but that wasn't the question.

Which brings me to the question, why do you need to run them through the TD50? Straight from a computer or device into the mixer should do the trick.

My band runs mono sound. I record the tracks panned left and a click panned right. I think that is the standard procedure. It doesn't involve my TD20 at all. My tracks care stored from an SPD-SX or a computer but there are a few other options like a TM2 or even a phone or mp3 device
              Thanks... great suggestions. I had contemplated avoiding the computer because I want to limit the amount of gear I am transporting. Following up on your idea, I could run the backing tracks and click from my iPhone or iPad (which I already bring to gigs). Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsc View Post
                If you put your click track in the same song folder on your SD card as your backing track with "_click" on the end of the filename (eg. song.wav is your backing track, song_click.wav is your click track), the TD-50 will play them both together when you select the backing track file from the song player (as long as the right setting is enabled). I'm not at my TD-50 at the moment to explain the process in detail but it's all in the manual.

It's a great feature and makes things very easy. You can also route both the backing and click out of separate outputs with the mixer settings. My only gripe is that scrolling through the song library isn't as simple for me as swapping kits on my SPD-SX in a live setting so I haven't made the transition yet myself.
                Thanks very much for the suggestion. I understand what you mean about the gripe on having to scroll through songs.

But my bigger issue is that I have followed that part in the manual but for some reason, it never works. I name the tracks properly, etc. I think I need to sit down and spend some time trying it again.

Does it appoint/create the click automatically to the "click" file or do you have to create the click as an audio file in ableton or some other DAW and then save it? If you have to create a click in a DAW, do you know where I can find a youtube video on how to do that. Admittedly, I am having problems with that step if it is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BWaj View Post
                  I run my tracks off an iphone4 which I bought for 50 bucks on Ebay. There is a free app called Back Trax http://backtraxapp.com/ which is incredibly reliable. You can build play lists in it and easily move the order of the tracks, etc. I play with lots of different bands so it's nice to label the lists by band names and keep multiple lists.

Some of my groups tune down a half step to save the singers, some are in 440 so it's very helpful to have the different lists for that as well. I pan the click to one side, tracks to the other and only send FOH the tracks. Eliminates the chance of click going to FOH.

My guitar player keeps also has a $50 iphone with a duplicate. So we have a back up just in case. I find this to be the easiest way to run tracks, it automatically stops at the end of a track. And advances to the next so you just have to hit the big green play button. I think you can set it to autoplay the next track too. I mount it to my HH stand with a $5 clip.

Curious, why do you prefer to run them from the TD50?
                  Great suggestions. I have seen that app and was always curious if it was a worthwhile purchase. Where do you source your backing tracks?

As I'm learning through this post, I probably don't need to run it through the TD50. I just liked the idea of running it through there to prevent me from bringing another piece of gear, but as I think about it, I already bring my iPhone and iPad. Thanks for the feedback.
                  Last edited by gzimm; 04-14-18, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzimm View Post

Great suggestions. I have seen that app and was always curious if it was a worthwhile purchase. Where do you source your backing tracks?
                    We do a lot ourselves. We tracks for two reasons, one is we all play with multiple groups and most have full time jobs these days. That leads to playing with subs who might not be able to cover the same harmony parts. Or say a stand in lead singer with no practice prior to a gig, so there is no time to work out who sings what part. So I have two sets of tracks, one with backing vox and one without. Main lineup does not track back ups, sub line ups do to CYA.

Then we pick and choose where the song needs to be filled in. Example is adding a rhythm guitar under the solo, etc. We try to tracks as little as possible. But we do some Boston, lots of Journey and they have tons of guitars. We're not hiring 3-4 guitar players, lol. And many clients don't have the budget or stage space for a 5-6 piece act. So we track keys and special effects as needed.

A great source is http://www.karaoke-version.com/ you want to chose the custom track option, which allows you to pan tracks and mix them. So you can turn on just keys and back ground vocals and put the vocals at say 80% so they blend well with your own, etc. The other option they have is just meant for actual karaoke so it's the full song minus lead vocals.

It's like 3 bucks a tune and you can go back and change the mix and which tracks are hot as often as you like, We find we need to add to some as their back ground singers are not always the best or some parts are weird. But about 95% of the tracks are good as is.

TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BWaj View Post

We do a lot ourselves. We tracks for two reasons, one is we all play with multiple groups and most have full time jobs these days. That leads to playing with subs who might not be able to cover the same harmony parts. Or say a stand in lead singer with no practice prior to a gig, so there is no time to work out who sings what part. So I have two sets of tracks, one with backing vox and one without. Main lineup does not track back ups, sub line ups do to CYA.

Then we pick and choose where the song needs to be filled in. Example is adding a rhythm guitar under the solo, etc. We try to tracks as little as possible. But we do some Boston, lots of Journey and they have tons of guitars. We're not hiring 3-4 guitar players, lol. And many clients don't have the budget or stage space for a 5-6 piece act. So we track keys and special effects as needed.

A great source is http://www.karaoke-version.com/ you want to chose the custom track option, which allows you to pan tracks and mix them. So you can turn on just keys and back ground vocals and put the vocals at say 80% so they blend well with your own, etc. The other option they have is just meant for actual karaoke so it's the full song minus lead vocals.

It's like 3 bucks a tune and you can go back and change the mix and which tracks are hot as often as you like, We find we need to add to some as their back ground singers are not always the best or some parts are weird. But about 95% of the tracks are good as is.
                      Great advice... thanks tons for the info and the backing track source... I'll be sure to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X