No announcement yet.

Best monitor for me and the band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, had our first gig with the new bass player. he came to the gig in a miata. brought a small single cone cabinet. about the same size as my behringer 12 inch sub. and same 500 watts. it was heaven. the ip300 top with the behringer sub was perfect. ah...

Comment

Great result!

Comment

I love my in-ear monitors, personally, but also love our EV 15" wedges we use for rehearsal. They put out a great deal of volume and have a nice, full range. They're a little pricey but powered.

I switched to IEMs a long time ago and haven't looked back. The biggest drawback to using them is actually "feeling" the sound like you would with a traditional sub. That being said, it is safer on your ears (unless you monitor too loud) and requires less of a footprint on stage, which is nice.
        Last edited by seanmichaels; 01-29-19, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Wow this is an old thread, but since it's bubbled up I will add:
          If you can match the FOH with your monitor, your drums will sound better and more uniform. QSC FOH use a k10 or 12 for your monitor. Obviously not inexpensive, but they make a great drum monitor as other have noted. Or JBL or whatever brand you use, but make them sonically match.

Also, obvious, but keep your stage volume down, the more your audience is hearing FOH rather than stage volume the better. It's one of the great advantages of edrums especially in smaller venues.

My lessons learned

Comment

Originally posted by seanmichaels View Post
            I love my in-ear monitors, personally, but also love our EV 15" wedges we use for rehearsal. They put out a great deal of volume and have a nice, full range. They're a little pricey but powered.

I switched to IEMs a long time ago and haven't looked back. The biggest drawback to using them is actually "feeling" the sound like you would with a traditional sub. That being said, it is safer on your ears (unless you monitor too loud) and requires less of a footprint on stage, which is nice.
            you could always put a sub next to your chair too ;-) a little 12 inch behringer like I have. if I 'm not setting the top on the sub, I can put it next to me and feel the breeze on my pant leg :-)

Comment

So I'm finally geting rid of my old TDA-700 and beginning to search for a more powerful 2:1 rig for small venues and as on-stage presence for outdoor and larger venues. I still use my trusty TD-30 for my personal monitor as I really like the warmth of that system as opposed to the harshness of the TDA. My band's PA consists of 2 JBL PRX 712 mains atop PRX715XLF subs with several Mackie monitors. I run my 2box 5 (for percussion) and Mimic Pro through my Behringer Xenyx X1222 board before sending that to the FOH mixer so I can control my sound as much as possible. I'm looking for hi-fi articulation over sheer volume in the $1,000- $1,200 price range but need something powerful enough to use as a stand alone for smaller clubs. I was torn between a 12" and 15" sub but really like how effortlessly powerful the 15's sound in our PA subs are so am leaning towards a 15" sub. I live in a small mountain town in Colorado several hours from a major city so sampling a number of different systems is out of the question. What are thoughts on the Turbosound iP15B sub and iP82 satellite system-

https://www.zzounds.com/item--TURIP15BIP82?siid=245144

or possibly combining 2 QSC CP8's with the Turbosound iP15B sub? I have a line on used QSC CP8's to keep it in my price range.

Open to other ideas as well.

Thanks!

Comment

I use a 12 inch EV Zxa1 sub for small gigs that is fairly powerful. The turbosound does not show max spl. That would be good to know. I use qsc k10’s and K12’s. They sound amazing and I also use the K sub with 2 12’s that is amazing.

Comment

Thanks Peter. That 12 inch EV looks pretty great and I like the slightly smaller footprint. How do you think it kicks compared to a 15"? I have a request in to Turbosound asking for the max spl and will post it here if they respond. Sorry, what is the K sub you mention?

To expand the topic a bit, I'v been disappointed with how much better ekits sound through headphones or even through my computer when sampling them versus live. They sound great, I put them on my drum brain and play them through my system and they sound totally different and seem to become very raw and unbalanced the louder they become. I'm sure that's because I have no real knowledge of sound engineering but I play live in 3 different bands and cover everything from gypsy jazz and small combo swing through all types of rock and into jazz/latin fusion so the versatility and range of kits I can create for each tune is fantastic. I just need to learn to harness the sounds better. What might be a good group of educational tutorials that could give me a stronger foundation level of knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by cobaltdrive View Post
                    Thanks Peter. That 12 inch EV looks pretty great and I like the slightly smaller footprint. How do you think it kicks compared to a 15"? I have a request in to Turbosound asking for the max spl and will post it here if they respond. Sorry, what is the K sub you mention?

To expand the topic a bit, I'v been disappointed with how much better ekits sound through headphones or even through my computer when sampling them versus live. They sound great, I put them on my drum brain and play them through my system and they sound totally different and seem to become very raw and unbalanced the louder they become. I'm sure that's because I have no real knowledge of sound engineering but I play live in 3 different bands and cover everything from gypsy jazz and small combo swing through all types of rock and into jazz/latin fusion so the versatility and range of kits I can create for each tune is fantastic. I just need to learn to harness the sounds better. What might be a good group of educational tutorials that could give me a stronger foundation level of knowledge?
                    What module are you using? The EV is pretty good but my QSC Ksub is almost twice as loud and cost $1000. A 15 inch may not be louder than a 12 depending on the sub itself. Max SPL is the best spec to know.

Comment

Just got a response from Turbosound-

The iP15B Max SPL is 120db
                      Here is the spec sheet for you reference.
                      https://media63.musictribe.com/media...20Document.pdf

What do you make of that compared to the EV and Sub?

I'm just dialing in a new Mimic Pro for my drum sounds and plan on running my 2box 5 side by side for percussion sounds. I also plan on still running everything thru my Behringer Xenyx X1222 board to control relative volumes.

Comment

Just got a response from Turbosound-

The iP15B Max SPL is 120db
                        Here is the spec sheet for you reference.
                        https://media63.musictribe.com/media...20Document.pdf

What do you make of that compared to the EV and Sub?

I'm just dialing in a new Mimic Pro for my drum sounds and plan on running my 2box 5 side by side for percussion sounds. I also plan on still running everything thru my Behringer Xenyx X1222 board to control relative volumes.
                        120 db is low. The Ev is 126 and a real 800 watts. I run my acoustic kick through it.

Comment

It’s unfortunate the Turbosound appears to be less than ideal. The price was right. Thanks for your help Peter!

Comment

It’s unfortunate the Turbosound appears to be less than ideal. The price was right. Thanks for your help Peter!
                            The QSC CP8 can do 124 db and has around 500 real watts[should be about 40% louder than 120db]. The turbo sound send 200 watts to each satellite. The turbosound might be loud enough for you but the QSC's and EX ZXA1 sub will be a lot better.

Comment

Yeah, I'm over the Turbosound. I might have a line on an EVX200-12SP and 2 QSC CP8's in my price range. Seems like a good combo?

Comment

Yeah, I'm over the Turbosound. I might have a line on an EVX200-12SP and 2 QSC CP8's in my price range. Seems like a good combo?
                                That Elx200-12SP looks better. It has dsp and will do 129db.

Comment

Working...
                                X