No announcement yet.

Best monitor for me and the band

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah my Turbosound IQ12's are like that - they tout 2500W peak power but in reality it 1250W program and like 750W RMS. They are still very loud at 128dB max SPL. I can push them very hard without distorting.
    Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
    Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

I use 2 K12.2's,but most of the time it is FOH on small gigs. I still use acoustics for a lot of gigs too. Unfortunately QSC has gotten cheesy with their power ratings. The 2000 w is peak power and the continuous power is 1000W. I called and asked them. That is why the max SPL is the most useful spec. The KS112 is 128DB and the Ksub is 130DB. I think the KS112 will be very loud for a single 12,but 2 DB more can still equal 20% louder.
      Hey Peter,
      I got the K12.2. Just by itself, very punchy and nice highs. The mid is a bit boomy on toms. Do you have EQ settings and a specific scheme you use? I will not have a sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Six View Post

Hey Peter,
        I got the K12.2. Just by itself, very punchy and nice highs. The mid is a bit boomy on toms. Do you have EQ settings and a specific scheme you use? I will not have a sub.
        What module and what room? Bass is very room dependent. Do you have the bass boost on the monitor?

Comment

Peter, I have the MP. Using VEX kits mostly. Everything is flat from factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

What module and what room? Bass is very room dependent. Do you have the bass boost on the monitor?
            Forgot the room. Small - 20x25 currently

Comment

You could try cutting around 200 hz. It depends where the room node is. How is the monitor placed?

Comment

I use a KSub and a K12 on a short pole (Extention) Sounds killer and just right for most stage or wedding set ups. At least for me it does. I EQ it through my XR16 mixer. I can't play without a sub. I need to Feel and Hear the kick. I guess i could use my in-ears and a Butt kicker but why? Digital drums can only be heard through the speakers when playing Live. AND trust me. Digital drums sound a little bit different coming through speakers than through in-ears or headphones. So mix to the speakers. Thats what I do.
                Last edited by ReeseRocket; 04-30-18, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by promark747 View Post

i bought one. I used it last week with a behringer 12inch sub. It was very nice. I may have finally found something I can STICK with

Is this drummer humor? Lol.
                  My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                  E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                  A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                  A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Seeing how this thread sorta died and came back, I'll add more. If your bass player REFUSES to turn down and your keyboards cannot hear you, getting a bigger monitor system for YOU isn't going to do anything but make your bass player turn up. Get some IEMs for your keyboard player or get him a robust monitor he can put at his feet just for him and voila problem solved. Unless of course his monitor is too close to bass player and then bass player turns up AGAIN.

In order to illustrate your point, I'd get a spl sound meter and at practice/gig set up, put it in front of each person's amp and SHOW the bass player he's outta line.

K
                    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Everyone else goes thru the PA, he doesnít and cranks his stage volume to compensate.
                      How the hell does he think he can mix in his bass level from on stage?

Well, have a band meeting, point out that it is 2018 and have him get a DI box. Then, everyone can hear the same mix as the FOH. To me, it is SOOOO much more enjoyable to play when it can hear a great mix.
                      Last edited by New Tricks; 05-07-18, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New Tricks View Post

How the hell does he think he can mix in his bass level from on stage?

Well, have a band meeting, point out that it is 2018 and have him get a DI box. Then, everyone can hear the same mix as the FOH. To me, it is SOOOO much more enjoyable to play when it can hear a great mix.
                        we did. he's going thru it now. much better. well, one gig so far. he'd best STICK with it lol

Comment

and the issues continued...never got resolved.. the bass player is gone. we're getting a new one. my struggles continued. been using a turbosound ip300 not 30000 300 with a 500 watt sub. it's alright but I'm still not happy. I need bigger cones. cahones? anyway. I'm not going to have to worry about spreading the sound on stage much anymore. For a while I was using a qsc 10.2 and also used an EV ZLX 12 for a while. they both sounded great with a sub. bottom line as so many here have said - 12 with a sub, 15 without. . the simmons da200s just never projects enough volume and the bottom end blows at volume. I think the trick will be a 15 as a monitor on the floor in front of me. if the band needs to hear me that's their problem isn't it.

Comment

and the issues continued...never got resolved.. the bass player is gone. we're getting a new one. my struggles continued. been using a turbosound ip300 not 30000 300 with a 500 watt sub. it's alright but I'm still not happy. I need bigger cones. cahones? anyway. I'm not going to have to worry about spreading the sound on stage much anymore. For a while I was using a qsc 10.2 and also used an EV ZLX 12 for a while. they both sounded great with a sub. bottom line as so many here have said - 12 with a sub, 15 without. . the simmons da200s just never projects enough volume and the bottom end blows at volume. I think the trick will be a 15 as a monitor on the floor in front of me. if the band needs to hear me that's their problem isn't it.
                            Promark,
                            When I started to look for amplification, I had the opportunity to play thru an IP1000 and the Bose -L1 II. I thought nice. But a friend and some pro audio guys told me to venture over in QSC land. I played thru a friend's k10 setup with some Mackie subs. I was more impressed. Then I took my rig on two different occasions to music stores and demo everything in the upper end of 10,12,15in speaker lines and 15 and 18 subs and the newest Bose rig. While there were a couple close contenders for speakers, QSC had the best clarity, depth, and warmth for my ears. And the subs were QSC all the way. I recorded each demo, so I could go back and listen without distraction.

Now the KS212c WAS not on the floor at the time. But the KSub and 181`s. I play with a KSub and K12.2's at church. But personally I have the ks212c. Not the depth of the 181, but more than the KSub and cleaner.
                            If you have the opportunity try the K12.2 or two, with the KS212c. Tell us what you think.
                            Last edited by Six; 01-08-19, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Six View Post

Promark,
                              When I started to look for amplification, I had the opportunity to play thru an IP1000 and the Bose -L1 II. I thought nice. But a friend and some pro audio guys told me to venture over in QSC land. I played thru a friend's k10 setup with some Mackie subs. I was more impressed. Then I took my rig on two different occasions to music stores and demo everything in the upper end of 10,12,15in speaker lines and 15 and 18 subs and the newest Bose rig. While there were a couple close contenders for speakers, QSC had the best clarity, depth, and warmth for my ears. And the subs were QSC all the way. I recorded each demo, so I could go back and listen without distraction.

Now the KS212c WAS not on the floor at the time. But the KSub and 181`s. I play with a KSub and K12.2's at church. But personally I have the ks212c. Not the depth of the 181, but more than the KSub and cleaner.
                              If you have the opportunity try the K12.2 or two, with the KS212c. Tell us what you think.
                              i'm sure the 12.2 would be perfect, but it's 800 bucks.what store let you do that by the way?

Comment

i'm sure the 12.2 would be perfect, but it's 800 bucks.what store let you do that by the way?
                                They are great (IMO). After much research, listen and real user feedback, I figured if they are good enough for Hakim and Weckl, I'll take the chance And the warranty is 6yrs.
                                Two different Guitar Centers allowed me to demo. I made sure they weren't too busy.

Comment

Working...
                                X