Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post

Get some of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACS-ACS-ER2...dp/B004SBSOKK/
    Never done an acoustic gig without them. You will be amazed.
    I have some decent earplugs. I shouldn't need them in a very small venue with electronic drums.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
      Whatever is the lowest cost 3-way option, will provide the best value sound imo, just not necessary the highest volume.

Anyway it's the path I'm looking at mostly = A lightweight band-pass sub and a really good mid-range present 2-way; largest tweeter, smallest woofer for it's size, that crosses over well.

I really like the idea of the DXR8 and a DXS12, instead of one DXR15. But it's damn expensive.
      What do you think about the newer line arrays that are out now - the ones with 12" subs or two 8" inch subs... EV Evolve 50, LD Systems Maui 28 G2, Turbosound IP2000, Bose L1 Model II, Fishman SA 330x with Sub....

Right now I have a 15" sub with 12" top but it's heavy to carry each gig, not to mention the space it takes up. I also sometimes get away with 2 of the 12" tops and no sub since my tops are similar in SPL to the QSC K12s...
      Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
      Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

I would be more confident in the line arrays that have the sub, the mid woofers and compression drivers in one package. Some of them do now, which is really cool. I haven't ruled them out.

But I have a long held opinion that you just don't get the warm developed mids that come with bulky 2-ways, the physics don't add up to me, but they are mighty good at cheating physics these days. The DSPs in general are often trojan horses imo. However, there are some magic things that are noteworthy. For example RCF's new FiRPHASE tech which, hopefully, makes the sound even more pin-sharp without added latency, except they won't seem to say just how much added latency, only that it's built in, and a lot less then normal DSPs.
        ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
        Community Drum Module Document
        PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post

What do you think about the newer line arrays that are out now - the ones with 12" subs or two 8" inch subs... EV Evolve 50, LD Systems Maui 28 G2, Turbosound IP2000, Bose L1 Model II, Fishman SA 330x with Sub....

Right now I have a 15" sub with 12" top but it's heavy to carry each gig, not to mention the space it takes up. I also sometimes get away with 2 of the 12" tops and no sub since my tops are similar in SPL to the QSC K12s...
          I'm using a Roland KC550 as a stage monitor but also looking at a few line array's. Turbosound is coming out with the new 2000 watt 130db (max spl) iP3000 line array with two 12's in the bass module... should be out in the next few weeks. It's a little pricey at $1499 but not too bad.

Our lead singers PA is a pitiful little no name system with 12" tops and no subs so if I can get something with a lot more bass, I'm all in. Since I already have enough to setup (converted A's), It's got to be easily portable and relatively small.
          Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

I saw that IP3000 specs on their site - impressive. I can't imagine the bass module is gonna be heavy as heck and take up a lot of space, considering it's (my) intended use is solely stage monitoring. I already have Turbosound IQ15B and IQ12 tops - their build and sonic quality is really up there, but at a literally back-breaking cost.
            Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
            Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

so , I found harbinger tower array - 800 wattts, 2 8 inch subs. for 400 bucks black friday.

used that behind me with my simmons da200 in front aimed it me. it was great. the wide dispersion of the highs the band enjoyed we were tighter than ever. no it's not a powerful thump from the harbinger, but I go thru the pa so it's fine. in lower volumes gigs it'll be ok too. by itself. the combo of the two sounds really great. and what a deal...

Comment

Comment

I was considering the IP2000, until I had an oppotunity to speak with a renown sound engineer in my area. Budget is always a consideration; for the money he said go with EV ZLX 12 or 15. But if money wasn't an issue, go with QSC k12.2 and their subs for small settings or monitoring.

But I haven't heard any commentary regarding the Bose L1 2. It was not on my radar at the time of my conversation with the engineer. Anyone with feedback on this one?

I don't want to lug a lot of stuff. And the IP3000 is heavy, but I'd like to hear it.
                  Last edited by Six; 12-30-17, 02:10 PM.

Comment

That is both beautiful and somewhat scary at the same time. LOL
                    I like it!
                    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I had the opportunity last week to play through both a Turbosound IP1000 and Bose L1 2. The setup was a small 8 channel mixer, the IP1000 was the main and the Bose chained of that.
                      The room was large enough for 200 people. It sounded GREAT. The Bose was on my side and was rich in sound all around.

Conversely, I was with a buddy of mine yesterday. It's like walking into a small music store. He has all kinds of speakers, but I played through a pair of QSC k10's and EV-ZXA1-Sub12. Different setup, but WOW. punchy, clean cymbals, nice attack on snare.

I will get an opportunity to use QSC k12.2 tomorrow. I'd like to see if I can do without a Sub. So many choices, what to do, what to do........

Comment

Please post your thoughts after you try the QSC K12.2 . I've been looking at monitors but haven't had a chance to try out the updated K12's.
                        Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

I have the QSC K12.2 and prefer it with the sub. It can put a out a good amount of low end without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Six View Post
                            I had the opportunity last week to play through both a Turbosound IP1000 and Bose L1 2. The setup was a small 8 channel mixer, the IP1000 was the main and the Bose chained of that.
                            The room was large enough for 200 people. It sounded GREAT. The Bose was on my side and was rich in sound all around.

Conversely, I was with a buddy of mine yesterday. It's like walking into a small music store. He has all kinds of speakers, but I played through a pair of QSC k10's and EV-ZXA1-Sub12. Different setup, but WOW. punchy, clean cymbals, nice attack on snare.

I will get an opportunity to use QSC k12.2 tomorrow. I'd like to see if I can do without a Sub. So many choices, what to do, what to do........
                            Let me know how you do with that K12.2.... I have Turbosound iQ12 speakers and a IQ15B sub and they are monsters but heavy to lug around. Same quest as you, if I can get away without a sub for just monitoring purposes and the 12" can handle it I'm all for it.

Also, how did you like the IP1000 both in power capability and sonic quality? Those have 2x8" subs and 8x2.75 tops... At 122 max SPL rating it doesn't seem like it'd be loud enough.

Comment

Hey Trip, there was so much going on yesterday that I didn't connect to the K12.2s. They're not going anywhere, so I'll still get The opportunity. The IP1000 for the size area projected into, was MORE than enough. And a sax, keyboard, and singer were also mixed through. To be fair, there was that Bose L1 2 on the other side . But i have played through that same system on its own, with a lessor kit and it resonated very nicely. I, like you, hope the K12.2 can cut it on the bottom end. My buddy knows more than me in this area and is pretty confident....we will see and I'll let you know my thoughts.

Comment

Things may have just become interesting. No spec on watts anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X