Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best monitor for me and the band

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best monitor for me and the band

    Smaller rooms 100 people avg. band monitors are lame 8 inch canít handle drums. Iíve got the Simmons 200 and a mackie thump 12 on a stand. Someone is always complaining they canít hear it. So Iím thinking about something like a jbl eon 1 to get wider dispersion on stage. Not sure itís bass would be enough. FOH has a sub. Iím just looking for,stage volume.

  • #2
    Much more expensive but wireless IEM's through a stage mixer is really the way to go as each player can have their own mix.
    The person complaining is usually the one who just turned their own volume up to be heard above everyone else. It's an arrogance thing.
    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

    Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

    Comment


    • #3
      DXR10 and K12 will do 131dB which should be plenty. The DXR15 will do 133dB, which is ridiculous.

      Put it by your feet on it's side (wedge) aim it at your guitarist, and turn it up to 11. Then put in some IEMs, and enjoy playing without tinnitus.
      ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
      Community Drum Module Document
      PA Specifications (wip)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
        DXR10 and K12 will do 131dB which should be plenty. The DXR15 will do 133dB, which is ridiculous.

        Put it by your feet on it's side (wedge) aim it at your guitarist, and turn it up to 11. Then put in some IEMs, and enjoy playing without tinnitus.
        I own all of those,but the kick still needs a sub in my case to sound right. The DXR15 is close .

        Comment


        • #5
          Of course =)

          But I'm working with...
          Originally posted by promark747
          FOH has a sub. Iím just looking for,stage volume.
          I personally think a sub is mandatory in ANY live situation. But apparently that's not a problem?

          Originally I was going to refute the "8 inch canít handle drums" but I wasn't sure if promark747 was referring to bass feel, or stage volume with that remark lol.

          Stage volume doesn't have a lot to do with woofer size, not when there are plenty of line arrays with 3" woofers that provide 129 dB SPL. At minimum go with a safe 2-way with much better & louder drivers, first and foremost. When you add a sub to that (even a cheap one!) you'll get a 3-way that's better than any 2-way line array.

          I've heard some of these line arrays to think; most of the cheap ones, have a hole in the mid-range where the snare lies... not a good idea for live e-drums imo.
          Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 11-05-17, 06:33 PM.
          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
          Community Drum Module Document
          PA Specifications (wip)

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah Hereís the real problem. The bass player is too damn loud, and the keyboard player to his left canít hear me. A constant battle with this guy. Everyone else goes thru the PA, he doesnít and cranks his stage volume to compensate.the mackie I use is rather directional . I thought about getting rid of it, and running two da200s on stage. One on each side of me so both sides of the stage can hear it and calling it a day. Those things are almost 60 pounds though I do love how they sound

            Comment


            • #7
              I would add a sub to the mackie,unless the DA200 is good enough. I thought they were very low power compared to PA speakers.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                I would add a sub to the mackie,unless the DA200 is good enough. I thought they were very low power compared to PA speakers.
                yeah that's true. the sub from the da200 fills in the bottom nicely though. . this is more an issue of directional speakers that can't hit everyone on stage. the old jbl 8 inch speakers they are using aren't cutting it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This isn't a monitor issue, it's a personnel issue.

                  My knee jerk reaction was to recommend the KAT HD400 but given your description, I agree with your approach of using two DA200S cabinets. You love the sound so that's a start. The fact you can place them in such a way as to cover more stage makes it a preferable approach than the HD400 approach because that one sub might not reach everybody on stage. It should given my experience but your description tells me your bass player would just turn himself up more. :P
                  TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by grog View Post
                    This isn't a monitor issue, it's a personnel issue.

                    My knee jerk reaction was to recommend the KAT HD400 but given your description, I agree with your approach of using two DA200S cabinets. You love the sound so that's a start. The fact you can place them in such a way as to cover more stage makes it a preferable approach than the HD400 approach because that one sub might not reach everybody on stage. It should given my experience but your description tells me your bass player would just turn himself up more. :P
                    dude we played a small venue this weekend. his cab was six feet from my ear to the side and slightly behind me. I was stuffing cotton in my left ear . he's like' it's the same volume I always play' I said yeah. that's the problem.
                    thanks for your advice

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by promark747 View Post
                      dude we played a small venue this weekend. his cab was six feet from my ear to the side and slightly behind me. I was stuffing cotton in my left ear . he's like' it's the same volume I always play' I said yeah. that's the problem.
                      thanks for your advice
                      Get some of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACS-ACS-ER2...dp/B004SBSOKK/
                      Never done an acoustic gig without them. You will be amazed.
                      ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                      Community Drum Module Document
                      PA Specifications (wip)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Get one of these :https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ModoBass
                        Split the gig profits by one less person and be able to hear the birds chirping and your grandchildren when you retire with your hearing intact!
                        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

                        Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The JBL is spendy...you can get by with a 15 inch powered speaker for half the cost and twice the thump. QSC and JBL and EV and others make them. Shop around and do some review homework.

                          Not telling you to get EV but I have a 15inch powered EV and it has PLENTY of bass...your bandmates should have no issue hearing you. You could even get a 12inch with a small sub to do the same job, it's all about setup, space, price point, etc etc.

                          K
                          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            JBL's are worth every penny. That''s all I'll add.
                            Alan
                            _________________________________________
                            visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Whatever is the lowest cost 3-way option, will provide the best value sound imo, just not necessary the highest volume.

                              Anyway it's the path I'm looking at mostly = A lightweight band-pass sub and a really good mid-range present 2-way; largest tweeter, smallest woofer for it's size, that crosses over well.

                              I really like the idea of the DXR8 and a DXS12, instead of one DXR15. But it's damn expensive.
                              Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 11-14-17, 09:35 AM.
                              ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                              Community Drum Module Document
                              PA Specifications (wip)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X