Mixers: My G.A.S. Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixers: My G.A.S. Journey

Since I returned to drums last December if there's one thing I've learned it's that all new things learned here are expansive (and expensive) when combined with G.A.S. This installment - MIXERS!

So I comment in another thread that my K10 and KSub (G.A.S.) aren't as loud as I expect when dialed up to 10. Great advice here introduced the need for a mixer. Suggestions and research point to the Yamaha MG-06. A great brand, a line of excellent mixers, and 6 channels. Who needs more than that right? Wait a sec, what about using the Direct Outs? Well, since there's 8 of those out goes the MG-06!

Enter the MG-10. I think I have "the one" so I bring it to rehearsal and start to play with connections and settings. After some experimentation I think I have something workable... until the next challenge presents itself. I want to hear the TD-30's click track but obviously don't want it coming through the PA. The easy solution is to use IEMs (G.A.S.) plugged into the phones output of the TD-30. But without a FOH tech I'd also like to be able to hear the drums out of the mixer rather than from the TD-30.

Enter the need for a headphone mixer. So I research the Behringer P1 and long story made less long I get a Presonus HP2. As I'm trying it and working through the increasing mesh (read: mess) of cables, I'm actually not loving whole 2 channel mixer coming out of a 10 channel mixer. Wait a sec... since 10+2=12...

Enter the Yamaha MG-12XU. Not only does the MG-12 offer the 2 extra channels I've just learned I absolutely need as much as oxygen, it also has a feature the 10 or below don't have - groups. So I can direct the drums to Stereo and the drums AND CLICK to Group 1/2. I then plug my IEMs into the phones output set to Group, while the Stereo out goes to my K10 and KSub. The other benefit of the separation of the Group output and Stereo is that I can run a line from the band's mixer so I get the band in my IEMs as well.

Why the XU? The XU variant of the MG line adds effects. I didn't want to spend extra on it when I was looking at the MG-06 or MG-10, but my local vendor only had the MG-12XU so I jumped in. And I love it! I think I can have some fun with this.

The cost of the MG-12 over the MG-10 plus the headphone mixer about balance out though the XU upped the price a touch. The MG-12 looks badass and is only "a little" bigger than the MG-10. To look at the setup now I alternate between a jaw drop and a head shake. Increased functionality and versatility indeed, but admittedly a bit of G.A.S. gone awry as well.

\_(ツ)_/

Anthony
    Last edited by Outlaw Pilot; 09-17-17, 09:49 PM.
    Show Kit: TD-50+TD-17, PD-140DS, PDX-100 (x4), CY-5 (x2), CY-18DR, CY-14C (x2), CY-12C (x2), CY-8, KT-10 (x2), FD-9, BT-1 (x6), SPD-SX, Gibraltar GCS-ERK, QSC K10 & KSub, Yamaha MG10XU, Westone AM Pro 30, Bose QC35, Roc-N-Soc Nitro
    Practice Kit: TD-17, PD-128BC, PD-85 (x4), CY-5 (x3), CY-15R, MDS-TDKP1 folding rack

Breakdown of the inputs for those who may be interested...

1 - Kick (Direct 1)
    2 - Snare (D 2)
    3 - Hihat & Ride/Edge (D3)
    4 - Toms 1-4 & Cymbals (D4)
    5/(6) - SPD-SX
    7/(8) - TD-30 phones out (Click + Mix In from band mixer)
    9/10 - Pattern Percussion set (D5 & D6)
    11/12 - Ambience (D7 & D8)

All channels go to Group 1/2 for monitoring through IEMs. All but 7/8 go to Stereo for the house.

Since I have drumsplitters on my toms I need to set volume levels of heads and rims independently in the module. I put the hihat and ride together and can use the faders on the TD-30 to fine tune levels if necessary.
    Last edited by Outlaw Pilot; 09-17-17, 09:48 PM.
    Show Kit: TD-50+TD-17, PD-140DS, PDX-100 (x4), CY-5 (x2), CY-18DR, CY-14C (x2), CY-12C (x2), CY-8, KT-10 (x2), FD-9, BT-1 (x6), SPD-SX, Gibraltar GCS-ERK, QSC K10 & KSub, Yamaha MG10XU, Westone AM Pro 30, Bose QC35, Roc-N-Soc Nitro
    Practice Kit: TD-17, PD-128BC, PD-85 (x4), CY-5 (x3), CY-15R, MDS-TDKP1 folding rack

Comment

I think you need a QSC Touchmix! You will be wishing for the days when you only wanted the Yamaha mixer. I do sound for my entire bands at a lot of gigs and the Touchmix is amazing. Even more amazing is the it can work from a tablet or phone. If someone else is running it FOH,I can do the monitors from my tablet. You can also walk around the room to adjust the sound. It has 16 ins,4 effects,and 6 monitors. You can multitrack record the show easily with a flash drive.

Comment

@Outlaw
        So, you use IEM's?
        Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have that wire running from the mixer?
        On one particular gassy day I fell in love with the Audio-Technica M3 wireless monitor system. With my Westone UM pro 30's I untangled from the mixer.
        Do you sing? That boom kept getting in the way of my far right crash soooo, more GAS later and I have a Shure BLX wireless mic system headworn and handheld.
        I went from a 8 input MG mixer to a 20 input MG Xu mixer fast. I kept the 8 (just in case) a GAS pill?

Now the wires just run around my body like a cyborg from ears and mouth to waist. LOL

@Peter Maybe the Touch Mix 30 could be my next? LOL
        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Intruder: You're just instigating a GAS attack aren't you?! Seriously though, I use Sennheiser wifi evolution G3 112 mic packs for video work and love them and could try fashioning them for my use. But I'm brand new to IEMs so the wire isn't a thing for me... yet. I mean I AM the most stationary of the bunch after all. But it'll come, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
            I think you need a QSC Touchmix! You will be wishing for the days when you only wanted the Yamaha mixer. I do sound for my entire bands at a lot of gigs and the Touchmix is amazing. Even more amazing is the it can work from a tablet or phone. If someone else is running it FOH,I can do the monitors from my tablet. You can also walk around the room to adjust the sound. It has 16 ins,4 effects,and 6 monitors. You can multitrack record the show easily with a flash drive.
            Your previous posts about the Touchmix had me looking very seriously at it. And your ringing endorsement of it has me struggling and circling the return date on the Yammy receipt. A couple of things though. I take reviews with much salt, but I don't ignore criticisms and lower ratings, and the Touchmix isn't a loved unit generally. If I were to try one, it would be your endorsement's doing.

But at 4 times the price, I don't see it doing 4 times more than I need, especially since I'm already thinking (during my head shaking phases) that I have more mixer than I need now!

Comment

Peter: You have me AGAIN looking seriously at the Touchmix.
              Last edited by Outlaw Pilot; 09-18-17, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I think Intruder and Peter are like Bushes Baked Beans
                Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

I think I get where you're headed, but I don't get the reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw Pilot View Post
                    I think I get where you're headed, but I don't get the reference.
                    Oh, my coffee hadn't kicked in yet. It seems so obvious now. "Good for your heart..."

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
                      I think Intruder and Peter are like Bushes Baked Beans
                      Grillin or Barbecued?

At least Peter has a income from it. Mine is pure hobby and non-professional.
                      I will make some band sound really good when I'm gone!
                      It's only $ and, I don't need it where I'm going (I hope).

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Yeah, well I spent the whole night watching Touchmix reviews and tutorials. It just MIGHT be 4 times the mixer! Here we go....

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw Pilot View Post
                          Yeah, well I spent the whole night watching Touchmix reviews and tutorials. It just MIGHT be 4 times the mixer! Here we go....
                          Trust me, 16 inputs is not enough. You better get the 30 (just to be safe).

Comment

I used to have my direct outs going to the mixer. Now they go to the Scarlett 18i8 then on to the mixer. Needed more microphones for my wife's karoke hobby which took up the inputs on the mixer along with the DJ mixer and TV.
                            Be prepared.

Comment

Since the Touchmix allows for almost every input to be a single channel, if using mono (as I do) this actually frees up inputs that would otherwise be tied up by having coupled channels. With the MG-12, channels 1-4 are one for one, input to channel. But then there's the coupled 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, and 11/12 which if being used as mono only give you one set of controls for every 2 channels. The Touchmix 16 maintains one-to-one from inputs 1-16, adding 17/18 and 19/20 each in a single stereo input.

With my current MG-12 configuration filling all 12 inputs, the same setup becomes more efficient in the TM16 filling just 8, leaving lots of room to grow (which is inevitable).

Comment

Working...
                              X