No announcement yet.

Setting up a single PA speaker and sub together

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the drummer and sound guy, we always carry our own gear. The most significant thing is having a sub that will handle whatever LF material you plan to put through it. I have moved to an elect once kit for live so the PA has to be able to handle that. We use a 2 way 18"s sub and 12" 2way top box. Use the sub thru and use the high pass switch on the top box. Everything goes thru the PA, it's never a problem. As pointed out in other posts, proper compression, etc are important as well. Mix everything, if you put the kick directly into the sub, you will run out of Kick as the sub rolls off (usually 100-120hz). If you want to test to find out how significant this is, put the kick into a channel and boost/cut 4K!

Tom

Drums
    ATV Corp. aD5 module (the very best real drum sounds IMHO), Yamaha DTX 700/900 pad set.

PA
    Sub - KV2 EX1.8, Tops - EV ELX 112P

Comment

Give us his email address we'll start sending him articles on PA setups and electronic drums...spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam WONDERUFUL SPAM! WONDERFUL SPAM!! Spam spam spam spam.....

Most of you guys weren't around in the heady days of this Forum and Monty Python (MP) references.

K ;-)
      Last edited by Kenster; 04-19-17, 05:15 PM.
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Hi Guys, just joined the forum and love it. Some great info on here and I've learnt a lot already. I've got a Roland TD15 V-Drum kit, first electronic kit I've ever had. Absolutely love it, sounds great (through head phones) and portability is mind blowing compared to my acoustic kits from the past. I'm looking to amplify it now and have a Mackie Thump 1000 watt powered PA amp for band practice. Sounds ok but needs more bottom end from a subwoofer. I've spoken to a few guys at music shops and the advice is great but big $$$ involved. I'm thinking of adding a sub and a small mixer to help get the sound I want. We play rock covers currently and the venues will be small/medium. I say "will be" as we are a bunch of dads getting back to it after a long layoff (kids etc). While researching I've read different views about keyboard amps or seperate speaker with sub set ups. I'm leaning towards speaker and sub. Problem is limited cash resources but I don't want to get rubbish either. Would you recommend 1 sub with 2 PA speakers or 2 and 2? Some thoughts from guys that have come from where I currently am would be awesome.
        cheers
        Meno

Comment

If your choice is between 1 sub or 2 subs, I say buy the 1 more expensive sub and put it in the right place in the room.

Better to have the best sub which hits deep and full than having two thinner sounding subs, which will probably end up under the tops anyway, and therefore in problematic positions - away from walls or near the middle of the rooms. As subs are omni not directional, you will have bass waves traveling backwards, having 1st and 2nd reflections meeting back up a couple hundred milliseconds later, resulting in the boomy mess for the audience not in the right place.

Playing outside is completely different of course, you can have all the subs you want outside.
          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
          Community Drum Module Document
          PA Comparison sheet (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
            Give us his email address we'll start sending him articles on PA setups and electronic drums...spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam WONDERUFUL SPAM! WONDERFUL SPAM!! Spam spam spam spam.....

Most of you guys weret around in the heady days of this Forum and Monty Python (MP) references.

K ;-)
            I like spam,. I'll have your spam! And now for something completely different. Bring me a shrubary.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

@Meno...welcome to the Forums! How about a nice intro with pics in the Foyer?

Are you talking about wanting a sub just for your drum monitor system or are you talking FOH PA for the entire band? My answer will be long and tedious whichever way you're talking, just need to know what you are trying to accomplish.

K
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Just for my kit mate, any feedback welcome and I'll check out the Foyer tonight and post a pic. Im
                in Australia so probably different time zone to you???
                ive got a Mackie 12" 1000 watt speaker and will look to add a sub for now to beef it up. As the band gigs increase I'll look to add a second 12" speaker I think. Not across the sound jargon yet so all info helpful. I think it's best to stick with one brand of speakers from what I've read so what's the opinion on Mackie subs? Read some good and bad reviews so far.
                cheers
                Meno

Comment

I use the EV ZXA1 12" sub for my drum monitor and it is light weight plus powerful. I will be as loud as your Thump speaker or louder. It does not matter if the brands are matched unless you are going with a higher end system. The Mackie Thump sub is fine but much bigger to carry around and heavier. http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1170

Comment

Cheers I'll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post

Most of you guys weren't around in the heady days of this Forum and Monty Python (MP) references.

K ;-)
                      But, I don't like Spam!
                      TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads - three rack toms, one floor, one kick with dual pedal, snare, three aux pads, three Gen16 crashes, one Gen16 Ride and Gen16 hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and The JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, http://bwajda12.wix.com/jamco

Comment

Working...
                      X