Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e cymbals comparable with acoustic ones ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e cymbals comparable with acoustic ones ?

I have virtually no experience with calibration of e drums. I had a yamaha DTX 450k as my first e-kit. I loced it but felt limited by the snare after a few years and wanted to be able to choke the cymbals and crash the ride. So I upgraded to a roland TD-6 (used) which arrived with a word out crash cymbal and hi hat pedal. I reparied the dedal and replaced the crash with a yamaha 13 inch. Maybe it was just a fantasy but I was really hoping the cymbals would be close to acoustic ones. The ride's OK except the bell sound has to be made by hitting on the raw plastic and the crash is ok except that there's no way you can get good dynamics from it. It crashes loud and to get a swell you have to stay away from the edge and do it from the middle part. So I'm wondering - Do you have to go expensive to get near acoustic cymbal quality, or is it impossible, or do I just have a simple calibration problem ? I'm wondering if it would helpif I got a megadrum module and trashed the TD-6 brain. At the moment I'm thinking my kit's alright for practice but for gigging I'd feel like an acoustic would be way better becuase of the cymbals.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if you want a better acoustic feel to the cymbals, or a better acoustic sound to the cymbal.

Jman's triggers for using acoustic cymbals might do the trick for the feel, and a VST will be better for the sounds. Have a look at the free demo of EZDrummer for yourself.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

I want better acoustic feel but I'm wondering if it even exists. I already have superior drummer. I had trouble getting the cymbal choke and the high hat to work so I abandoned it for now. But that's another story.

Comment

Acoustic feel is the way your stick bounces off the cymbal. Acoustic sounds can be had when using a VST.

Superior Drummer has a lot of of tweaks. Maybe starting with something easier, like EZDrummer or Addictive Drums?
        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

I have addictive drums. I'll try it out.

Comment

There's always the Zildjian Gen 16s for feel, but the sound is a whole other topic for debate.

K
            My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
            E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
            A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
            A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Those Zildjian Gen 16s seem really great from the youtube videos. I'd really love to add a set of those to my kit. In fact, right now I'm totally leaning towards the idea of an acoustic kit with mesh heads, clip on sensors and those cymbals. What a treat.

Comment

Well, I've been using the Gen 16s since they came out shiny then changed to bronze and the bronze are definitely better IMHO and the whole concept with the 2nd generation pickups is ingenious.

That said, the processing unit repays tweaking and ultimately you have to accept that they will never sound like your favourite 'real' cymbals - but in a live band mix I'm not sure anyone will notice - my bands certainly didn't notice at all - and they are nicer to play than rubber cymbals.

One of the problems I found was that I tended to hit them harder because of the low acoustic volume of the cymbals.

Best to try them out for yourself if at all possible.
                TD-50 upgrade kit, BFD3 on MacBook Pro, Focusrite 2Pre interface, SPD-sx, SPD-30, Roland KD 140, PD-BC 128/108 pads, Paiste signature cymbals, DW Hardware, Allen & Heath mixer, Fohhn Xperience III PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies BC Gigster drum throne monitor

Comment

Working...
                X